RC Racer

Started by Anthony, August 20, 2010, 04:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Official topic for RC Racer, the new attraction in Toy Story Playland.

• Please now keep all discussion specific to this ride here.
  • For general discussion about Toy Story Playland, see the original topic.
Quick links:

Anthony

I was pleasantly surprised by RC Racer, the brief experience the ride provides at least. It didn't make me feel sick for a start, and when facing upwards at the highest point, it's pretty surreal to look to your left and see Space Mountain and the whole of Disneyland Park at 90 degrees. Then the view from the top of the other end, looking down, is quite spectacular too. Altogether, I'm disappointed to say it left me with a smile on my face.

However, there's one major downside. I rode at 10am yesterday and waited from just outside the building, 55 minutes. Between considering leaving and wanting to scream, I thought: Isn't the queue layout completely the wrong way around? I'm sure there's some sensible reason for it, but you've got this lovely, twisty, landscaped section to begin with, which everyone rushes through (even at 90 mins it wasn't used), and then suddenly you come to one of the worst double-back cattlepens in Disney history. Possibly even more infuriating than Crush's Coaster. Each length takes a good 12 minutes to get through, so you may well spend 50 minutes going back and forth four times in that same empty space with just a couple of plastic car pieces to look at. It's so disrespectful to guests (and I don't necessarily blame WDI).

When you look at rides like Pirates and Phantom Manor (and even newer ones like Laser Blast or Tower of Terror), they have the overflow cattlepen area first, off to one side, so that it rarely has to be used, and then the nice, single-file twisty landscaped/themed bit - the bit people are guaranteed to always be queuing in - at the end before the loading area.

I think I was confused seeing it like that on the plans, and it's no less confusing in reality. It just reinforces every negative preconception about Disneyland queues.

claire2281

Yup that is indeed a very daft idea with the queuing. At least it is undercover though which is always a good thing.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

4marco

We were there last saturday. At 10:00 there was a big crowd waiting for the opening of the queue of RC. We managed to do Parachute & Zig-Zag in 15 minutes, while the RC-queue heared that is was closed till??? Some of the waiting people now wanted to do the Parachute & ZigZag, but they already had queues of 120 minutes & 90 minutes! They didn't look happy. At 15:00 RC was still closed.
We looked many times of RC-Racer was going to open soon, but except 1 castmember telling everybody it was closed, nobody (technicians) was looking at the attraction??

But RC RACER looks SUPER, also the queue looks great!

Malin

QuoteWe looked many times of RC-Racer was going to open soon, but except 1 castmember telling everybody it was closed, nobody (technicians) was looking at the attraction??

Maybe the park made a mistake in opening the land so quickly. Should of offered previews only up to Oct and officially opened the land during the start of the busy Halloween season. But hey EuroDisney S.C.A is desperate to improve on this next quarter. The fact no one was going over the track for RC, indicates to me Techinicians know what the problem is and can't do anything about it. Hopely it will be up and open soon, so everyone visiting especially for these carnival rides will get the chance to ride them.

johnd331

The reason why the queue is structured this way is quite obvious, although I agree with Anthony, it leaves the wrong impresson on people and people spend a lot of time in queues visiting a theme park.

The twisty part of the queue is outside and only used in rare occasions. The other part is inside. People don't want to queue outside in the rain, so it is obvious that the part closest to the loading station has a roof above it. It is actually hard to name a single attraction in DLP that doesn't have a roof for at least the last part of the queue (but yes, there are some :) ). Cost savings are the main issue here... Disney is a grandmaster at queue design, unfortunately, they leave their principles behind if costs are the issue.

sebassah

Went on it this Saturday. Great ride, to short and the restraint hurt. Im 2.00 meters tall and it barely fitted. Loved the theming of the outside que, it is truly well themed.

Martyn

I dont no if this has been mentioned before, but RC now has a singler rider queue...

Martyn

Anthony, I would say no, as its not trying to be coaster. It is just a kids carousel ride really.

Though I suppose it is just a larger version of them Go-Gators!lol

peep

I have to say that I absolutely loved it. I'd never been on a half-pipe coaster before and I really enjoyed it, basically a taller, non-spinney version of a disk-o ride. I thought the theming was amazing, especially the scaletrix part of the queueline. However I see where you're coming from Anthony about it being the best bit of the queue and you just walk through it. When I went the other week I just used the new single rider queue so I didn't have the issues with the cattle pen and from what I'm reading in this topic I'm glad I didn't queue up through that.

They use the single rider queue really well and it's used a lot more than I thought it would be. This meant I queued about 20 minutes instead of 60 on several occasions. However this might not always be the case and clearly depends on who is batching the guests.

The ride may be short but I found that it just left me wanting to ride again and again instead of that bored feeling you sometimes get on a swinging boat ride. I found it quite forceful too which I wasn't expecting, but once again it was in a fun way.

Yeah, I love it. :D
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Martyn

Do you have to join the normal queue in order to use the Single Rider?

peep

You do, but it splits off from the normal queue a bit before the building which is where the normal queue seems to start most of the time.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

sebassah

Quote from: "peep"You do, but it splits off from the normal queue a bit before the building which is where the normal queue seems to start most of the time.

Good to her it is split now! When I was there it was just the last few feet with a castmember yelling there was a single rider line.

alexguitar

Can't wait to ride this, it looks really great!

Is it open during the Extra Magic Hours? We're gonna try and do this one and Crush's Coaster in EMH! :)

:minnie:
December 2003 - Hotel New York
December 2004 - Davy Crockett Ranch
December 2005 - Newport Bay
December 2006 - Davy Crockett Ranch
December 2007 - Davy Crockett Ranch (One night in Sequoia Lodge)
December 2008 - Davy Crockett Ranch
December 2009 - Disneyland Hotel
December 2010 - Sequoia Lodge (7th-11th)
December 2010 - Davy Crockett Ranch (19th-22nd)
December 2011 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2012 - Davy Crockett Ranch
December 2013 - Sequoia Lodge (Can't wait!)
[/b]

Martyn

I didn't think they done EMH in the Studios?