Baloo's Trip Report for DLP May June 2010

Started by davewasbaloo, June 06, 2010, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Thanks for your great trip report. I'm glad you liked Auberge de Cendrillon and your kids had such a lovely time there. We haven't been there since Disney transformed this lovely restaurant into a character restaurant. We loved this restaurant and were so disappointed when they changed it.

Me too, but my daughter is princess mad and likes the food, so it was worth it for this special occasion. But I agree, I would prefer it if it were simply a good table service restaurant again.

Quote from: "dagobert"So what do you think about the condition of the whole resort, the parks and attractions? I know that DLRP is far from well maintained, but in February we were very surprised by the good condition of the attractions and the cleaness of the parks. We really didn't expect that.

Hmmm, a real mixed bag. Some things had been improved (like the paint job on catastrophe canyon, the castle bridge, the refurbed Teepees and PotC and PM were in reasonable order), and there were signs of maintenance everywhere. But significant effects were broken in Discoveryland, Big Thunder Mountain, the Tram Tour, Nautilus etc. And to be honest, that is pretty unacceptable. Also the tea cups were only half done, whch was surprising. Also, we did see a lot of broken name bricks at the Studios, which was aweful.  

Also, although we made light of it, there were breakdowns on Buzz, PotC and Big Thunder mountain that meant we queued for ages and then didn't get to ride or in the case of PotC were trapped for 30 minutes (though as fans we enjoyed this, I felt for the newbies where it ruined their ride)

It was the dumbing down of the dining that really got to me. As a result we ate off site more often than not.

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm also glad to hear that Disney is offering a broader selection of merchandise. Now I hope that they will bring back more attraction based pins and merchandise. In February we were very disappointed by the merchandise and so I had to write a complaint to Disney. That wasn't the only thing we had to complain about.

Well they have improved here greatly since our last visit. They have a whole host of merchandise this year that showcase Phantom Manor, Tower of Terror, Indy, the Carousel and Pirates of the Caribbean. Pins, t-shirts, tins, bags, hats, pens etc. As well as mouse ears. It was great to see. The bad news was you could buy the same stuff in all the stores, no point hunting around anymore.

Quote from: "dagobert"It's really annoying that Disney is still doing these strange opening and closing times of the attractions.

Very, we skipped our planned trips off site so the kids could fit in everything they wanted to do. Shame really, but maybe Disney got what they wanted. I know they are not doing very well, but this is bad show IMHO. They do it in the US parks too. But I remember reading how Walt used to insist everything be open for guests all the time. He would have a fit (but back in those days, they had refurbs at night, and the park was closed 2 days a week in the off season where refurbs would be done too).
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Day 7 - 4 June 2010

For our last full day, we opted to wake naturally, and Mike came in a panic at 7:30 thinking we had over slept. Lol. It's a vacation, and our days of commando storming the parks from open to close are long behind us, especially with little ones.

We enjoyed some fresh baked goodies for breakfast from the resort bakery, and the kids and I made our way to the pool while Sarah started packing. It was lovely and sunny, but the water was too cold in the outdoor pool. Not for some hardier guests, but it meant we had the indoor pool to ourselves for some time.

We swam and made use of the jacuzzi for a few hours, then dried off in the sun as the pool bar opened. It was lovely. I had a long chat with the manager of the resort, which was very interesting. Mikey and I enjoyed a game of garden chess while Jess was on the swings. We then made our way back to the villa for an al fresco lunch of fresh baguettes with local cheeses and cured meats. The 86 degree temps got a bit much, so a shower was in order and then off to the crowded parks. We got into the studios for about 12:20, a little too late for Stars and Cars, but we hopped into the 60 minute wait for the overrated Crush coaster, but the kids were tall enough for the first time and determined to do it. Ah summer at DLP, a mixed bag; scantily clad clientele and noticeable BO. Fun. :-)

We waited just over an hour for Crush Coaster. Of course it is better than the US Space Mountains. Jessica thought it was great. Mikey enjoyed it, but had his eyes closed during the coaster parts, lol.

After Crush, we thought we should get our Buffalo Bill tickets. There is a wonderful deal right now, if you are at DLP during your birthday week and an annual pass holder, then the birthday celebrant is free with proof of birthday. It meant Jessica and Sarah were both free! Awesome. Sarah got the tickets while I took the kids through the Art of Animation. Darn that Paris sand, my eyes were leaking again.

As it emptied out into the hands on area, Sarah was waiting for us. We painted the cells, recorded our voices and added sound effects, we created a zoetrope scene and learned how to draw Mushu. Excellent!

Then it was time to go to BBWWS, we were in the red river ranch. Preshow was dodgy with blues brother number (that was not around in 1892). Meet and greet with Mickey, great show and good food though. Characters were annoying, but with the exception of their awful singing part, not too obtrusive, but definately dumbed it down. The kids loved it though (and sadly that is Disney's aim these days).

After, we enjoyed the Festival Latina with salsa and tango dancing, but Jessica fell asleep on my shoulders. It was obviously time to get them back.

I enjoyed a visit with some American friends who post on TUG, the best Marriott Vacation Club board, where we discussed all things MVCI over some local libations. It was lovely.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... c52d122211

dgdough

Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

smurfy74

shame about your preshow, we had the gunslinger and rope lassoo man and that was authentic - glad you had such a great trip

seanmartina

Glad you had a great trip, seems like a relaxing disney time.. photos top class as usuall.. when you say the food has been dumbed down, was wondering in what ways, how much has the food changed this year..  many thanks

davewasbaloo

Day 8 the journey home 5 June 2010

A 6:00 alarm is never a fun prospect, especially when on vacation. But despite being up early with plans of Extra Magic Hours, the kids were too tired (and mischievous) to get moving quickly.

We tucked into a breakfast of everything that needed using up - chocopic cereal, bread and cheese, yogurt and chocolate mousse (come on, it's the last day of the vacation), got the car packed and checked out (always a bummer). We snapped a few shots of the resort and said good bye, or. Tout allors, we will be back. We got to the Da Vinci Car Park near the village for 10 (EMH started at 7:30 and the resort was rammed, we decided to do a little shopping and go on elsewhere). Well little did we suspect that we would be in the Disney Village for 5 hours (well Sarah claims she did).

We let the kids spend their money from Nana (Disney character Star Wars toys were the choice - I'm so proud, and some guns -ok, maybe not so proud of this one); we bought Sarah and the kids some clothes, and I tried my luck buying a Vynalmation figure - we got Miss Piggy.

Then we decided it was time for lunch and weighed up between King Ludwigs (they dumbed this place down so much, it's no longer a German restaurant - we shant eat there again until they german up the menu again), the Deli (the queue was massive), the Rainforest Cafe (we nearly did), but the Steakhouse won out thankfully (it's one of my favs).

We were given our normal seats (we tend to be put in the same place every time). We had our complimentary Kirs (you just gotta love the Dream pass), and the kids opted for bbq ribs with corn fries (jessie liked them, Mikey did not); I had the Cesar salad and rump steak (I fancied the T bone, but the early bird special of three courses was cheaper than just the T). I had ordered the steak medium expecting it to be French medium (a little blood), sadly it was cooked English medium). Sarah had the carrot and coriander cappuccino and the steak. It was good. Because I was driving the 340 miles home, no wine though, we opted for water and ice tea.

The kids started acting up over dessert (they were very tired), Jess had a fruit salad in a chocolate biscuit bowl. Mikey had an Apple Flan with Chantilly cream, I opted for the apple pie a la mode (more of an Apple Croissant really, but still good) and Sarah had the Bailey's and pecan creme brullee, which she loved.

Because of the time, we did not have coffee, we were going to cut it fine for getting our channel crossing. The kids slept most of (and Sarah some of) the 200 mile journey to the Eurotunnel terminal. When we got there, it was heaving.

We did a little shopping, though with Euro exchange rate, things were not much different than the grocery store price wise. Then it took well over an hour to check in and board the train. Luckily the 90 degree temps had subsided a little.

The train was very warm and stuffy this time, but we were back in the UK for just before 8. We grabbed some portable food at Marks and Spencers and got in for about 10:30 exhausted, and satisfied.

Photos of the last day

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 21b195ee97

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "smurfy74"shame about your preshow, we had the gunslinger and rope lassoo man and that was authentic - glad you had such a great trip

Now that sounds so much more like it. If they had done that and not kiddied up the dining sing along section, I would have been much more happier and could accept the characters a little better.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "seanmartina"Glad you had a great trip, seems like a relaxing disney time.. photos top class as usuall.. when you say the food has been dumbed down, was wondering in what ways, how much has the food changed this year..  many thanks

It is a real mixed bag. I am referring more to the counter service and village. The bad:

Victoria's used to offer different food items, now all they do is pizza (as it Belle Notte and Col Hathi's were not enough).

Most counter service places only offer a couple of choices now - mostly burgers, pizza or hotdogs.

Cowboycookout seems to offer half the variety as they used to.

Most of the unique desserts seem to be gone, opting for generic ice cream now.

At Fuente Del Oro - you have to ask for gaucamole and salsa and they no longer do the mixed platter (no replacement, just no longer on the menu).

No trimmings carts any longer at Videopolis

Not food items available from the carts after 2pm (yet the carts are open)

King Ludwigs no longer does German food, it is the same sort of stuff that can be found elsewhere in the resort (this used to be one of my favorite places).

Even the table service restaurants seem to offer more french food that suitably themed foods. It tastes good, but slightly disappointing at places like the Silver Spur and the Steakhouse when I expect them to be more American as they have been for the last 17 years.

The good:

They now sell Churros in carts in Main Street

The Last Chance Cafe actually has an interesting menu

seanmartina

Thanks Dave, very interesting, do you think its the new boss pushing these changes, as he is french, were the last boss was americian..(Silver spur etc )

i dont know what direction they are heading with this, all generic contents in uniuqe buildings, such a shame, and carts refusing to sell food thats clearly visibile(dont know the logic behind that).. but i am glad there was some good points, the resort has def changed since my first visit they seem to take a little of the quality away each year, forgetting to replace it, and i think they will completly forget about the standards that used to be there, as the older employees leave, but hopefully Mr Gas who was one of the original cast members, can remember... And i am looking forward to july..

davewasbaloo

seanmartina, I am glad I am not crazy. I have been regularly going to Disney parks for nearly 36 years, and DLP since before it opened to the public. This is why I am so passionate about trying to make people aware when things are lost. Then maybe, like when letters are written about maintenance or merchandise, we see something done about it.

I know there are not limitless resources, and the financial challenge of DLP's accounts means tough choices have to be made, but they need to get the balance right.

As I said, we were in DLP for quite a few days, but we chose to eat off site more than ever.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "seanmartina"Glad you had a great trip, seems like a relaxing disney time.. photos top class as usuall.. when you say the food has been dumbed down, was wondering in what ways, how much has the food changed this year..  many thanks

It is a real mixed bag. I am referring more to the counter service and village. The bad:

Victoria's used to offer different food items, now all they do is pizza (as it Belle Notte and Col Hathi's were not enough).

Most counter service places only offer a couple of choices now - mostly burgers, pizza or hotdogs.

Cowboycookout seems to offer half the variety as they used to.

Most of the unique desserts seem to be gone, opting for generic ice cream now.

At Fuente Del Oro - you have to ask for gaucamole and salsa and they no longer do the mixed platter (no replacement, just no longer on the menu).

No trimmings carts any longer at Videopolis

Not food items available from the carts after 2pm (yet the carts are open)

King Ludwigs no longer does German food, it is the same sort of stuff that can be found elsewhere in the resort (this used to be one of my favorite places).

Even the table service restaurants seem to offer more french food that suitably themed foods. It tastes good, but slightly disappointing at places like the Silver Spur and the Steakhouse when I expect them to be more American as they have been for the last 17 years.

The good:

They now sell Churros in carts in Main Street

The Last Chance Cafe actually has an interesting menu

The food served at DLRP is really a big issue for me. I'm vegeterian and in the last years the food went from bad to worst at DLRP. I was so disappointed when Disney changed the menu of the Fuente del Oro. There they served  vegetables fajitas and now the only choice is a cup of nachos with salsa or guacamole.

Then they served nice egg-omlette burger, but not available anymore. In every counter service restaurant you only get pizza or burger. At least in the Cafe des Cascadeurs they serve a nice grilled vegetables burger.

The biggest disappointment was Walt's. In recent years it was never a big problem for the kitchen to create something different for, but not last time. The only thing we got was the unfriendliest waiter I have ever met and one of the worst food ever eaten at DLRP. Our favorite restaurant is the Agrabah Cafe, since they serve really good food suitable for vegeterians. I'm glad that you had a great time in the Steakhouse. Is it operated by Disney, because the restaurants operated by Groupe Flo did a better job. For example the Rainforest Cafe prepared something great for my girlfriend and so did Cafe Mickey. Both restaurants are not operated by Disney. From now we will only eat in DV table service restaurants.

I really hope for Disney that they will improve the food and their hotels, otherwise we will save our money and travel to WDW again. I know the parks and the maintenance aren't any better there, but in 2008 Disney did everything for us. In every restaurant we were treated like kings.

You can imagine that our complaint we have written to Disney was very long. At least they answered my letter and told me that they are trying their best to satisfy their guest.  :lol:  :lol:

Next year we are planning to visit our friends in the US and so we plan to travel to Disneyland California. So DLRP will not see us for thext two years.

davewasbaloo

I cannot wait to hear what you have to say about DL (the most vege friendly restaurant). I am not sure about the steakhouse. It used to be Disney operated, but I am not sure now.

seanmartina

QuoteI am glad I am not crazy. I have been regularly going to Disney parks for nearly 36 years, and DLP since before it opened to the public. This is why I am so passionate about trying to make people aware when things are lost.

you def not crazy, it has slowly declined, then they have a stroke of genius and nearlly get it right with the 15th aniv. then they get it so wrong.. they really should look back at what was there, 18 years is not long in parks terms so maybe we have a long way to go, but to have the nicest magic kingdom slowly decay its quality would be such a shame, but new visitors wont know, and maybe wont care, but disney can get it right and can make you feel the magic, but not cheap magic, the balance really needs to be right....

davewasbaloo

You are a star seanmartina. The reason I get grumpy is when DLP opened in 1992, it was the best Disney park in the world IMHO. Ok, it didn't have as many attractions as the others, but it was the most beautiful, with the best versions of the attractions, amazing cast members, live entertainment everywhere you turned, amazing shopping and dining, late hours and fireworks.

Now I know those things cost money, and yes, I do still enjoy our trips. But it makes me very sad, when there is so little live music, and a number of attractions have broken effects and the menues have diminished further. Thankfully not all hope is lost. Live music in the Silver Spur, new teepees, the refurbs around Star Tours, Storybookland, and Dumbo fill me with hope. TSPL does not.

I don't know what to think moving forward. And the other thing is I have investments in MArne la Valee, so the success of the resort is important to me more than just being a fan.

seanmartina

i can fully relate to what your saying, its so true and obvious but previous visitors maybe the family grows up and all they have is memories, new visitors will not notice anything, but regular visitors who come for the charm and magic and escape from relaity notice every little detail. we all know the money is not so good, but during the 15th they did make a small operating profit, but it was great marketing, beutiful park decorations, and a buzz around the resort, still not what it was, but a vast improvment on the dark ages 4 -5 years before that. Dont even get me going about toy story playland, when it was first announced it was meant to be a temp soloution, but i can bet the bank its there for good..what a blotch on the landscape...Going on past events its the music, the extra cast members hired just to be part of a scene, the shows, barber shop quartet, all the small things that make it so special, now they have hacked the food  down to the same old same old..

But i think disney soul aim is to make as much profit as possibile, cut all costs cheapen the brand i think.. before when disney had soul and heart, profits were important but so was the quality of the magic..  when you have 17 million visitors you want them to spend spend spend, last year i found it very very difficult to buy anything at all, all the merchandise was the worst i have ever seen, i had around 500 pounds earmarked for all the usuall stuff for kids back home, i think i got i love mk bag and 4 key rings...the money just came home with me.. such a shame... i just could not bring my self to buy that junk..

well thats my 2 cents lol sorry about the rant,, hopefully this year i can spend some money lol because you know what i really hope deep down that they do get it right, and the resort  becomes amazing again, instead of just good.. maybe for the 20th they might get it right fingers crossed..

And i hope all the fanboys realise that ( and i am one of the biggest fanboys), and dont blur out the rough edges because they see it through rose tinted glasses, you know, i know, they know.. and most important is to Make Disney know..