"The dark side of Disneyland Paris" - Independent article

Started by Festival Disney, May 06, 2010, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Quote from: "DopeyDad"The thing is though, the same can be said of many customer/service businesses at the moment. Business models have had to change incredibly over the past 2 years and that means employees are feeling those changes as increased demands, with less resource, for less money. I work in the NHS which has been told to save 20%, whilst demands increase and staff say very similar things to the above. Its not 'disney' whatever that is, but it is business, and Disney is above all else a business. I just hope they DLRP can save enough money to see them through the next few years until markets recover. I don't think we can really call it their dark side, unless we expect them to be unconcerned with profit. Many businesses are simply going under at the moment, and markets like Spain and Ireland are beginning to get into trouble. I'm just pleased each day when I see it's still open!
I have to agree here with DopeyDad, I have first hand experience at maintaining a business in difficult times, by reducing staff and still trying to maintain the professionalism and high standards of the running of it. These are recessional times and everyone is buckeling down. Disney cannot afford more staff at these present times, but it would be even worse if they had to cut services and operating times in the parks and lose even more revenue to already present losses. I only hope we get over the global economic crisis quicker than expected, and when we do it will be better for everyone, including everyone involved at Disney..  :|

MagicStar

QuoteDisneyland Park Paris number 4 1n the World with 12,740, 000. Europa Park coming in at number 24 with 4, 250, 000. I can see which theme park is more popular.

You try to discuss the sucess of 2 different parks but you have no idea what one  of the parks is like  :?
All of us here are big DLP-Fans. Otherwise we wouldn´t post here. But most of us are objective. Thats the point to start a good discussion!

Quote from: "Javey74"The thing is though, the same can be said of many customer/service businesses at the moment. Business models have had to change incredibly over the past 2 years and that means employees are feeling those changes as increased demands, with less resource, for less money.

You are right! Things are difficult at the moment. Its the same at the firm where I work!!! But I see one difference.
Disneyland Paris always had financial problems. But the old management was always able the keep the standarts despite of these problems. But the new management doesn´t get it. And I think thats the main problem!
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

ed-uk

I can express a view cant I ? I made it clear what I thought about Europa Park and whether i wanted to go or not. I have only made the point that DLP is much bigger. They have two theme parks to manage for a start. 7 big hotels, including the Ranch. A golf course. Disney Village. I'm sorry but it doesn't seem to me that Europa Park is the same in this regard. That's the only piont I was making. I'm I wrong then?
Ed & David

ed-uk

And Disney management aren't idiots, they do get it. They run the most popular theme parks in the world. So they must get it. If 12,0000 people go to DLP and 4,0000 go to Europa Park I would conclude from that, that DLP is more popular. That's all I'm saying.
Ed & David

MagicStar

Quote from: "ed-uk"And Disney management aren't idiots, they do get it. They run the most popular theme parks in the world. So they must get it.

I talked about DLP management. Not the whole Disneymanagement

ed-uk

I don't suppose much happens at DLP without the whole Disney Management knowing about it. The WDC is the main shareholder. The big Disney jobs are in America. It seems to me if DLP was just 1 theme park and 4 hotels like Europa park, DLP would be making a profit. No Disney theme park could do well and be called a success on 4,250,000 visitors like Europa Park can.
Ed & David

MagicStar

Then please tell me why all DisneyParks make profit, except DLP :roll:

ed-uk

DLP released their half year results last week. Maybe you should read it on their Web site. Hopefully they can explain it to you better than me. Whether you will want to except their explanation or not is another matter of course.
Ed & David

MagicStar

Would be great and definitely interesting to hear the explanation from you...

luke85

...I think things are starting to get a bit personal in here :shock:

DopeyDad

soooooo, everyone agrees DLP not doing too well, so perhaps little wonder staff may feel things compare unfavourably with before. Now, how about something less controversial, ToyStoryPLayland anybody? :twisted:

MagicStar

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Now, how about something less controversial, ToyStoryPLayland anybody? :twisted:

HAHA^^
yeah!
Lets talk about it  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Just had to laugh loud when I read your post  :mrgreen:

davewasbaloo

This story does not surprise me in the slightest. I have been commenting on this for about a decade now, and many so called "fans" do not seem to notice or care. DLP has not performed like a true disney resort in at least 15 years (though the ones in the US are not as good as they used to be either). And it is also as I predicted when they started discounting the trips too. Let's see if things improve for the 20th.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... _multiline
since 2001 (many before that)

ed-uk

Perhaps they have to discount the trips to get people to go. We are going through the worst economic slowdown since the 1930s. Even the future of the Euro seems in doubt, if that was to happen it would be a miracle if EuroDisney survived. They lost 64,0000 Euros last year. How to they employ more CMs in an enviroment like that? Search me.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

there is also an elasticity of demand on resourcing and customer good will. There are parent companies, bonds etc to consider. There is also debt reprofiling. The reality it, DLP is a much lesser experience than it once was, while it's competition is improving year on year. DLP needs to be able to compete.
since 2001 (many before that)