"The dark side of Disneyland Paris" - Independent article

Started by Festival Disney, May 06, 2010, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkySurfer

Quote from: "ed-uk"Yes, and at EuroDisney their finances are on a knife edge thanks to this terrible recession we're going through.

Discussion would be more effective if you wouldn´t claim things,that look a bit different in reality.
Travelindustry is one of the parts, that is least affected by the "teribble recession".
Means, just a deficit of 3% in Europe!
Don´t make the recession responsible for everyting. I just had a look. Europaparks Hotel occupancy was never better then the last year. Same at Centre Parks.
So don´t tell me, its not Disneys fault.

ed-uk

I don't agree with you. I think the recession would have made a negative impact on Disneyland Paris. It was doing much better before. Ah Europaparks hotel. I didn't know Europaparks had a hotel. Just the one? According to the TEA attendance fiqures for 2009. Disneyland Park Paris number 4 1n the World with 12,740, 000. Europa Park coming in at number 24 with 4, 250, 000. I can see which theme park is more popular. It's a pity for Disney that so many people go and they still make a loss.
Ed & David

DopeyDad

Spend/visitor has gone down. Uk guests have poorer exchange rate and other Non-French markets have been hit, these markets are important to DLRP as non-domestic guests tend to spend more.
Besides, 3% contraction is a huge deal to any western economy, look at unemployment figures, and you can't deny the impact the recession has had.
But anyhoo, it even says in the article that the reason is that the park wasn't making enough money. So what would people have, increase prices or reduce costs? You would be hard pushed to increase prices with a 3% negative growth

Mr_B

Hi all,

It's true the global economy is suffering and dlrp will have to weather this storm too. It's debt make it all the harder but business is business and all companies are suffering. I feel sorry for the staff and their families having to keep visitors dreams alive in this condition. They all do a great job.  

The cast members ALL make my kids dreams come true !  :D

Mr_B
From the mansion on the hill
Shrieks of laughter break the still
Ghoulish figures start to wake
Makes your knees begin to quake

DLRP - We\'ve been there one or two times .....

bigrossco

dont know if you have seen this but there is also been a 'press release' from DLP

http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CO ... ployee.pdf

talking about employee well-being
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

SkySurfer

Quote from: "ed-uk"I didn't know Europaparks had a hotel.

Well informed like always! Europark has 5 Hotels and a camping resort

Quote from: "ed-uk"Disneyland Park Paris is number 4 1n the World with 12,740, 000. Europa Park coming in at number 24 with 4, 250, 000. I can see which theme park is more popular.
Finally you see the problem =D>
Europapark is able to make more profit with less visitors.

JelleP

Quote from: "SkySurfer"Well informed like always! Europark has 5 Hotels and a camping resort
Four hotels, a camping resort and a 'Gästehaus', actually... :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Patrick

Quote from: "SkySurfer"
Quote from: "ed-uk"I didn't know Europaparks had a hotel.

Well informed like always! Europark has 5 Hotels and a camping resort

Quote from: "ed-uk"Disneyland Park Paris is number 4 1n the World with 12,740, 000. Europa Park coming in at number 24 with 4, 250, 000. I can see which theme park is more popular.
Finally you see the problem =D>
Europapark is able to make more profit with less visitors.

No doubt, they make more profit, due to the smaller park, not forgetting that Europa Park is much older than Disneyland Paris ;) .  Disneyland also has to pay off its debtors, also it may have blown past you, but Disney will also employ many more people than Europa.

ed-uk

I can't get excited about Europa park, I'm just not interested in it. One hotel or six hotels, I'm not really interested.  I hope that explains why I'm so well informed on Europa park. No doubt British theme parks make a profit on 2,0000 or 3, 0000 visitors. And I wouldn't make a comparison between them and DLP. I'm a DLP fan and a Disney fan, that is why I post on this forum. I'm more likely to go to a British theme park than Europa park.
Ed & David

MagicStar

Have you ever been at Europa-Park?
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

ed-uk

i obviously haven't been to Europa Park. I would have thought that was clear from my post. Have you ever been to Alton Towers?
Ed & David

MagicStar

I love people who judge about someting but obviously never have been there! What a great basis to discuss  :?
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

ed-uk

i'm not judging it. I'm just saying I'm not interested in it. Maybe if i was staying in the area on holiday I would go. But i wouldn't  make a special trip for it. Anyway i thought we were discussing "the dark side of Disneyland Paris", whatever that means? I have now visited Europa Parks web page, and I wasn't that impressed with what I saw. But clearly some people like it and that's fair enough. I'm not saying it looks bad. It doesn't look as good as a Disney Park to me.
Ed & David

nicoledlrp

i made a trip especially to visit europa park and loved every minute. the hotel was brilliant and the staff helpful and friendly. i have also had many enjoyable holidays at alton towers and numerous other theme parks in the uk and beyond. i loved "eurodisney " and still love dlp but  i feel that whether a theme park company is making profit or loss it should remember that staff attitude reflects on customer happiness. although i am a dlp addict i cannot be blinkered to the fact that standards have slipped and the feel good factor is not what it was. if cast members are being treated badly then they cannot be blamed for being unhappy, but if their justifiable negativity spills over into work attitude then in turn guests will have no desire to part with their hard earned cash in making return trips. cut backs leading to overworked staff is an unfortunate financial fact but surely it costs nothing for the hierarchy to treat cast members in  a kind and curteous manner so that in turn they can truely share  the magic that makes disney so special to us all. p.s. i will probably be chewed up and spat out for saying this, but i have come across the very rare cast members whose attitudes stink and would probably be the same what ever their work conditions. just because we all love disney doesnt make everything and everyone in it perfect !!!! pps my philosophy is if you havent visited a park ask for opinions from those who have and respect their information .

ed-uk

You pay your money and take your choice. People should try different theme parks I'm sure. But I'm a Disney theme park fan, and that's where I'm coming from when I post on the forum. That is not to say I think everything is always perfect at Disneyland. And that includes the CMs and some of the guests. But on the whole my experiences have been good, otherwise I wouldn't keep going back to DLP.
Ed & David