[DL] Must-see! Living Character Meet + Greet (Mickey talks!)

Started by alka1, May 05, 2010, 10:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattboywonder

I think it must be similar technology to that employed in Stitch Live.  The Interactive Mr Potato Head in the queing area on Toy Story Midway Mania and the interactive Roz at the very end of the Monsters Inc: Mike and Sully to the Rescue attraction at DCA are a further developement of this where a CM can see the audience and therefore talk them personally and the voice output is in the exact character voice!!

This is what Disney magic is all about folks!!

As for the language problem well maybe they would only use this Mickey for special Meet and Greets that are done all in English, then all in French or something!?!
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

Willow

Disney have a patent which was filed in 1994 that was for a voice changer.
I think its works by compared the waveform of pre-recorded words with the waveform of another persons voice, the pitch and various other stuff can then be changed to match with the pre-recorded voice.
It makes sense to have the character doing everything, instead of relying on two people to remain co-ordinated.

Another video has been posted, this time officially by Disney:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... e-testing/

alka1

Disney Parks Blog posted an entry about this, click the link to see the video

//http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/mickey-mouse-testing-one-two-three-testing/

QuoteSome lucky Disneyland park guests experienced a very special meet and greet with Mickey Mouse this week.

Mickey, who usually saves his voice for shows and parades, talked with guests and interacted with them in never-before-seen ways! This was part of a process we call "playtesting" as it gives us a chance to develop new concepts with our guests long before they end up in the Parks. "We're always looking for innovative ways to let guests interact with our beloved characters," says Disney Imagineer and head of Advanced Development Scott Trowbridge. "And we have many more surprises up our sleeves."

Snow_White_Girl

This is fantastic, I love how those kids in the Disney video look absolutely spellbound! I hope they do roll this out in the parks, I must get saving for my California trip! :)

\":lamp:\"

CafeFantasia

I'm not entirely sure how they pull this off, but here's my guess.

It could be really simple. It could just be a guy in another room doing the voice live, and animating the mechanical mouth on Mickey's head video remote control. The performer inside Mickey isn't doing the voice, but has to act with his/her body to match what is being said.

It's worth noting that the voice of Mickey Mouse, Wayne Allwine, passed away last year (May 2009). So maybe Disney are using Bret Iwan, the new voice of MIckey Mouse, by actually having him there in Disneyland, doing the voice live. Just a thought.

DreamDisneyVacations

This is one of my favorite additions in a pretty big list of new things at DLR.  I am also of the mind that it's a two-person job.  

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how it's done because it's done so well.  I can remember being a child and wishing Mickey or Goofy could talk.  Now my son and many other children will have this experience.  How amazing!  

Go Disney!

Tuvok

Here's a video of the premiere of World of Color with a talking Mickey. I realy think the person inside the suit is doing the talking. He is interacting with the people and his movements match what he says or does. I don't think this can be done if one person backstage is doing the voice and another person is doing the actual performance on stage.

[youtube:3eii52l5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPB1ddpfs8[/youtube:3eii52l5]
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Scissorsboi

I'm not sure if this is the same technology as the Living Character, I think it could just be a pre-programmed version like they use in the shows, celebrities would be given areas to sit in, and they could program around that. But he does use the "just don't tell Minnie" line from the test session.. the whole thing baffles me! If it is live it's so well done that I really think they could be on to the breakthrough of the century as far as their park experiences go!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

norhel

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"I'm not sure if this is the same technology as the Living Character, I think it could just be a pre-programmed version like they use in the shows, celebrities would be given areas to sit in, and they could program around that. But he does use the "just don't tell Minnie" line from the test session.. the whole thing baffles me! If it is live it's so well done that I really think they could be on to the breakthrough of the century as far as their park experiences go!

On the other hand, when he interacts with the people at the start of the video, it might be the new technology.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California