'Mother banned from Disneyland for dressing as princess'

Started by Anthony, April 20, 2010, 08:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

What do you think about this?

QuoteMother banned from Disneyland for dressing as princess

A mother was banned from going into Disneyland because she was dressed as a princess.

Natasha Narula, 35, had decided to wear the outfit as a special treat to celebrate her birthday.

But as she waited to enter the theme park a security guard pulled her aside to order her to get changed into normal clothes.

She was told her outfit could confuse children at Disneyland Paris, because she looked too much like a cartoon character. Instead she was forced to go back to her hotel with eight-year-old daughter Drew and change into the clothes she had been wearing the day before.

A Disneyland [spokesman] yesterday confirmed it had a global policy banning adults from wearing fancy dress in their theme parks. A spokesman said: "No one over the age of nine is allowed to enter our theme parks in fancy dress. It prevents confusion."
Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... ncess.html

benjy

I can see the idea behind it, as it can cause alot of confusion and give this guest unnessasry attention but it must be annoying for this mum after waiting to get in the park, have to walk back to a hotel and change, on her birthday!

By the time she got back the queues probably would have been huge!
It's a shame that she isnt a member of the magicforum because then she would have known :P
Working xmas 2012!!! \":D\"

nicoledlrp

i presume the age limit of 9 is flexible as the girls costumes go up to an age 12 ! i can imagine spending a fortune on "princess for a day" then having to get a very upset 10 year old princess stripped at the gate !! i have seen many adults in authenic looking disney costumes (the daily mail states that the lady was dressed as a fairy in a second hand wedding dress purchased in oxfam ) and have never seen any of the jack sparrows, jasmines etc being thrown out by the "burly security guards" mentioned in the newspaper - come to think of it i havent noticed any burly security guards either !! in an update of the article it turns out that  the lady was also wearing a long blonde wig but i still am not sure which princess autograph the throngs of little girls would have been mobbing her for !!!

luke85

Rules is rules. It wasn't like she had decided to try and dress like this on the spur of the moment, she had bought a cheap wedding dress from Oxfam in the UK especially for the occasion.

The woman could have saved herself a lot of embarrassment if she had called DLP or checked the website before she arrived.

pussinboots

Quote from: "luke85"Rules is rules. It wasn't like she had decided to try and dress like this on the spur of the moment, she had bought a cheap wedding dress from Oxfam in the UK especially for the occasion.

The woman could have saved herself a lot of embarrassment if she had called DLP or checked the website before she arrived.

That's an attorney's logic, and if you'll forgive me, crap. We live in a world in which we're allowed to wear a silly dress once a year or so, and one can hardly blame this woman for not knowing Disney employs guerrilla-like rules when it comes to theme. It is not a guest's responsibility to read every inch of the fine print before booking a stay.

However, it is Disney, and they are both allowed to and should very well have some sort of loose dress code. Just as you shouldn't be able to dine in an expensive restaurant wearing a shell suit and flip-flops, you shouldn't enter the park looking like one of the sugary confections that wave from every Disney float. Security asked her to change into her regular clothes, presumably nicely, and that's that. She wasn't Tasered, she wasn't thrown onto the floor, she wasn't forced to undress in front of a crowd. It's no big deal, it's just a tiny bit unfortunate.

bigrossco

its funny how the papers say she was 'banned' but then goes onto say she had to go back to theh hotel room to get changed and wasnt band - FAIL lol
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"That's an attorney's logic, and if you'll forgive me, crap.

"I disagree" may have been a less aggressive response :)

Javey74

Talking about the global rule, it's slightly incorrect, adults can dress up in any costume they like in the park on the 'Halloween Soiree' night, during the day you can also dress up, but not as a formal character. I remember running up to a nice looking Witch for a photo, only to find out that the individual didn't like there photo taken and said they were only a general member of the public. So as you can see I'd agree with some of the confusion at times. Imagine this on a daily basis if it was allowed..  :mrgreen:

Having said that, I don't believe I would think of this woman as a Disney Princess, there's an obvious giveaway, somethings that a true Disney Princess would never wear..  :lol:  :mrgreen:

pussinboots

Quote from: "luke85""I disagree" may have been a less aggressive response :)

Sorry, it wasn't personal, it's just that you encounter a lot of that sort of thinking within the Disney-loving community, and I sincerely deject the idea that spontaneity is a vice or that we should all be reading the rules and regulations of everything we interact with.

Nothing serious happened here. A woman thought she'd have a lark and wear that hideous dress, until she was informed of the house rules, quite rightly. All in a day. BUT, you should read what the Daily Mail has to say about it all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... esses.html

They even got an exclusive photo shoot, haha. I do hope they made up all those quotes, or that woman truly does have a screw loose.

luke85

I love the photo at the bottom of the Daily Mail article, it's the classic "We've been affected by something and our lives will never be the same again" DM photo standard!

nemo1981

I maybe the only person on this forum with that opinion,but I think Disney went way too far with this step. I can`t help it,but telling people what to wear is wrong. As simple as this may sound to you guys....She didn`t come naked!!!! It actually scares me,that it is"okay" to do do that,just because it could spoil the magic for someone....

pussinboots

Quote from: "luke85"I love the photo at the bottom of the Daily Mail article, it's the classic "We've been affected by something and our lives will never be the same again" DM photo standard!

It's especially good because she's wearing that ridiculous dress.

It vaguely reminds me of the nurse who was told to cover up her jewelry because jewelry happens to be a major source of infections in hospitals, and the Daily Mail turned it into this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -case.html
Ah well, it's good for a laugh.

nicoledlrp

the lady in question did telephone in advance and was told that it was ok to come in her dress.

once.upon.a.dream

are u allowed to dress up for mickeys not so scary halloween party... or do u have to be under 9 for that aswell ?!  :shock:  I've already planned my costume based on a disney character  :|   :roll:
DLP offsite July 2009, DLP Santa Fe Jan 2010, DLP Santa Fe March 2011, WDW All Stars Movies Sept 2011, DLP Santa Fe Sept 2012, DLP Santa Fe April 2013, DLP Newport Bay Dec 2014

Next trip - DLP Disneyland Hotel December 2015

DopeyDad

You can dress up for MNSSHP