Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

They do say things change all the time at Imagineering. But in this case, it's no doubt because of financing and management. The replacement for Captain EO will have already been given the green light, though. Otherwise, they wouldn't close it in the first place (unless they're just changing it back to HISTA). So any rumours on EO's replacement should be more trustworthy.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Quote from: "andrewuk"Rumours of a Star Wars mini-land on DCP

I think this could tidy up the mess at the back end of Discoveryland and hopefully avoid opening ST2 at a large cost to zero guest reaction. The same ride with an improvement might not get much interest, but a whole new land probably would.

A Star Wars mini land would be great, but what actually would we see there. If it's just a nicer Meet & Greet location, I really don't need it. Mr. Gas even doesn't want to spend so much money to upgrade Star Tours and and a SW mini land without ST II doesn't make any sense.

I have to agree with Alan, Alain Littaye's predictions aren't the most reliable ones anymore.

andrewuk

Quote from Mountain discovery on DCP:

QuoteArrival of the Star Tours 2 with post-show Star Traders shop and would become a photo opportunity . - Hista / Captain EO will become the Jedi Academy - Pizza Planet will become THE Cantina Nothing planned at WDS outside Ratatouille. What do you think?

It sounds quite extensive. I wish I could remember where I saw the debt repayment schedule, but I am sure that the repayments are much less after this year, and so if Dreams and Rat pull in the crowds this could, maybe, happen. Perhaps Mr Lucas could be persuaded to help?
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Glstitch

Captain EO will reopen this summer ;) (by : RadioDisneyClub )

Josh

Grrr. Darn. Oh well. They'll have to replace it eventually...
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DopeyDad

so what's Alain hinting at then?

dagobert

Are there any news about the future of Captain EO? Did I miss Alain's informations? At least I couldn't find anything on his D&M Blog.

Glstitch

Captain EO is 'closed' but will open on busy days and will probably reopen this summer , every day with less prefomances / a day.

dagobert

That's just what I expected. So no Star Wars mini land, which means no Star Tours II either.

Patrick89

Quote from: "Alan"I actually hope Discoveryland isn't restored, which is weird because I'm a huge Discoveryland fan.

The thing is, over the past 20 years, Discoveryland has received a lot of new attractions and modifications. But what about Adventureland? What about Frontierland? These lands have been neglected compared to Discoveryland.

So, before they go spending even more money on Discoveryland, add something new to Frontierland first. And then Adventureland.

But if you look at what Discoveryland has become, namely a shadow of its former glory, I don't know if I really want money being spent in Frontierland and Adventureland on new projects. Refurbs, all right, but updates? I don't know what to think about that. The atmosphere of Discoveryland has been ruined, I'm afraid the same would happen in the other lands, too.
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

Quote from: "Patrick89"
Quote from: "Alan"I actually hope Discoveryland isn't restored, which is weird because I'm a huge Discoveryland fan.

The thing is, over the past 20 years, Discoveryland has received a lot of new attractions and modifications. But what about Adventureland? What about Frontierland? These lands have been neglected compared to Discoveryland.

So, before they go spending even more money on Discoveryland, add something new to Frontierland first. And then Adventureland.

But if you look at what Discoveryland has become, namely a shadow of its former glory, I don't know if I really want money being spent in Frontierland and Adventureland on new projects. Refurbs, all right, but updates? I don't know what to think about that. The atmosphere of Discoveryland has been ruined, I'm afraid the same would happen in the other lands, too.

Exactly. Under the current management of TWDC, which is a big fan of franchises, I also don't want to see any additions to Adventureland or Frontierland. The only exception would be Indiana Jones in Adventureland. That's why I'm glad the focus is on WDSP.

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"That's just what I expected. So no Star Wars mini land, which means no Star Tours II either.
I don't think it rules those out, since they were rumoured for 2015 anyway.

I saw Captain EO on Sunday and, besides a few nutty Michael Jackson fans in the front row, it was a tiny and relatively unimpressed audience. I'm sure a lot of people walk into the pre-show room and then leave again, without even seeing the film. It might actually be better for the park that it remains closed, unless we want this corner of Discoveryland to be a museum of the 1980s for the next couple of years.

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "Anthony"a tiny and relatively unimpressed audience.

A bit like Le Visionarium in its later years then. Clearly there's no correlation between audience size (popularity) and the quality of the attraction.

Anthony

Captain EO may have been quality in 1986, but in 2012 it has become merely a curiosity. Le Visionarium was pretty timeless by comparison. Oh if only we were still able to see that playing in the park 25 years on...

Patrick89

Quote from: "Anthony"Captain EO may have been quality in 1986, but in 2012 it has become merely a curiosity. Le Visionarium was pretty timeless by comparison. Oh if only we were still able to see that playing in the park 25 years on...

One day, we'll wake up and all go to Discoveryland just to see that they have returned De la terre a la lune and le Visionarium overnight, because [strike:3vui00gk]Ebenezer Scrooge[/strike:3vui00gk] the head of TWDC was afflicted by the ghost of Jules Verne the night before ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!