Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maarten

Whether you like Michael Jackson and his music or not, this attraction can be considered a Disney classic in my humble opinion. The nostalgia of this film, combined with the creative forces of George Lucas, Michael Jackson and Disney, contribute to this. If my memory serves me correct it was way better then Honey I Schrunk the Audience, so the Captain EO Tribute is fine with me, as long as it's not permanent though. The only thing thats scares me is the question what will replace Captain EO (within 1-2 years)...

It just makes me wonder why Disneyland Paris didn't jump the bandwagon earlier. I mean, the hype surrounding Michael Jackson after his passing is quite over isn't it? On the other hand, maybe they wanted to see how the Captain EO Tribute in California would be received before greenlighting a possible comeback to DLP aswell. If this rumour turns out to be true, I think its a wise move to get along with the hype and check in on it (just like they should have done with a Jack Sparrow addition to Pirates years ago, but well)... Keep the park fresh for returning visitors I would say, while also paying tribute to the past once in a while, like in this case.

Soap

Rather today then tommorrow!  :lol:
Just a great little classical Disney & MJ magic brought back to the parc(s).
Win Win situation imho.

HISTA is just so over......
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CentralPlazaPerson

Mickey's Philarmagic could be a good replacement after 1-2 years?

dagobert

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Mickey's Philarmagic could be a good replacement after 1-2 years?

Although Mickey's Philharmagic is a good attraction, we liked it a lot at WDW, it really doesn't fit into Discoveryland, so I hope that it will not replace HISTA, or maybe Captain EO.

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Mickey's Philarmagic could be a good replacement after 1-2 years?

Although Mickey's Philharmagic is a good attraction, we liked it a lot at WDW, it really doesn't fit into Discoveryland, so I hope that it will not replace HISTA, or maybe Captain EO.

I see what you mean

CafeFantasia

I might be wrong, but I believe that France has the most Michael Jackson fans out of all the country's in the World; the largest fan base. So if Disney brought Captain EO back to Disneyland Paris, they would most likely get millions of loyal MJ fans visiting, which can't be bad for business. And if they were smart enough to start selling Captain EO merchandise again, the Constellations shop would be getting a lot of customers.

As for Mickey's Philharmagic, it's a fantastic show helped by its beautiful soundtrack. The problem is its location. At the three Disneyland parks it's present at around the World, it's in Fantasyland. If the show were to come to Disneyland Paris, and be located in a similar position, Disney would either have to demolish Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains (perhaps even Les Voyages de Pinocchio as well) or build a new 3D theatre on the grassy hill between Sir Mickey's Boutique and Fantasia Gelati.

Fantasyland could do with a new attraction, but I don't see Disney running two 3D theatres in the same park.

dagobert

I can imagine to have Philharmagic in the WDS park, although it doesn't fit there as well, but definately better than in Discoveryland.

I'm also not a very big fan of MJ, but he did some very good songs. I really would like to see Captain EO.

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "Alan"I might be wrong, but I believe that France has the most Michael Jackson fans out of all the country's in the World; the largest fan base. So if Disney brought Captain EO back to Disneyland Paris, they would most likely get millions of loyal MJ fans visiting, which can't be bad for business. And if they were smart enough to start selling Captain EO merchandise again, the Constellations shop would be getting a lot of customers.

As for Mickey's Philharmagic, it's a fantastic show helped by its beautiful soundtrack. The problem is its location. At the three Disneyland parks it's present at around the World, it's in Fantasyland. If the show were to come to Disneyland Paris, and be located in a similar position, Disney would either have to demolish Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains (perhaps even Les Voyages de Pinocchio as well) or build a new 3D theatre on the grassy hill between Sir Mickey's Boutique and Fantasia Gelati.

Fantasyland could do with a new attraction, but I don't see Disney running two 3D theatres in the same park.

Fantasy Festival Stage?

Maarten

Fantasy Festival Stage is far too small and simply not suitable for a show like Philarmagic. From what I have heard, Philarmagic doesn't even fit Studio 3 (Animagique), let alone Fantasy Festival Stage. :)

CentralPlazaPerson

I have never seen Philarmagic so I wouldn't know. I haven't been into Fantasy Festival Stage either.

dagobert

Quote from: "Maarten"Fantasy Festival Stage is far too small and simply not suitable for a show like Philarmagic. From what I have heard, Philarmagic doesn't even fit Studio 3 (Animagique), let alone Fantasy Festival Stage. :)

I have seen Philharmagic at WDW, but I think, maybe I'm wrong, that the theatre over there is not as big as the Animagique theatre, I think it is even smaller than the HISTA theatre.

Maarten

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "Maarten"Fantasy Festival Stage is far too small and simply not suitable for a show like Philarmagic. From what I have heard, Philarmagic doesn't even fit Studio 3 (Animagique), let alone Fantasy Festival Stage. :)

I have seen Philharmagic at WDW, but I think, maybe I'm wrong, that the theatre over there is not as big as the Animagique theatre, I think it is even smaller than the HISTA theatre.

I have seen Philarmagic at the Magic Kingdom aswell and I agree with you that the theatre itself isnt that big at all. The problem with the Animagique theatre has more to do with the curved roof. As you may remember, at one point during the Philarmagic show, the screen becomes very wide. Those screens wouldn't fit in the Animagique theater because of the roof at both sides of the current stage. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but at least thats what I have heard.

Kristof

True, but let's face it, those screens don't really contribute to the show.  They're not even in 3D.  I've seen the show a few times, but never really paid attention to the side screens at all.

CafeFantasia

Good point Kristof. I'd actually forgotten that Philharmagic's two side screens aren't in 3D. I know they're supposed to be in your peripheral vision, but it's weird that Disney bother making them 3D. A cost cutting decision perhaps?

Tuvok

The possible return of Captain EO is a smart move by the resort, considering it's a huge success in Anaheim. I've seen both movies (EO and HISTA) and consider EO to be much better, but that can also be due to the fact that I'm beginning to hate HISTA.

Once the limited run is over, I would like to see a new 3D/4D show. I was thinking Star Wars. With Star Tours 2.0 eventualy coming to Paris, they can create an unique mini-land within Discoveryland based on the Star Wars universe. We could have Star Tours 2.0, Star Traders shop, a possible Star Wars 3D/4D show (to replace HISTA/EO) and a Star Wars restaurant (to replace Buzz Lightyear Pizza Planet). All behind one big Star Wars facade (stretching from the Videopolis Theatre, all the way to Autopia) with a huge Death Star and several large props, like the Star Speeder. Bring on the Star Wars Weekends!

Although I would love to see Mickey's Philharmagic, I also think it doesn't fit the Discovery theme. Why can't they bring Philharmagic to the Studios at the CineMagique theatre? Seperate shows throughout the day with CineMagique and Philharmagic in turn. Install the 3D equipment and bring on the show!
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)