Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

There have been a lot of rumours floating around the net about the Captain's return to Discoveryland since the untimely passing of the King of Pop, and the shows return in California. Now, member guimik on Disney Central Plaza forums is reporting that the Honey, I shrunk the Audience attraction that replaced Captain EO in 1999 is set to close for a two month rehab in April, where it will reopen in early July as Captain EO.

<!-- s:arrow: -->:arrow:<!-- s:arrow: --> <!-- m -->http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... t15602.htm<!-- m -->

<!-- s:D/ -->:D/<!-- s:D/ --> I really hope this is true, and the good news is that it looks like it is! This is great news for the resort, and it certainly makes up for the late opening of Toy Story Playland too, as well as livening up the dead corner of Discoveryland. And it means we can all see Captain EO once again or for the first time as it was meant to be experienced! <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->

guest3474

Fantastic News!! Hopefully with the conversion of Pizza Planet to Buffet Service and the Nautilis refurb, South-East Discoveryland will be filling with crowds, a sight seen a long time ago.

As always, i'm telling myself this is a rumour, just to not get over excited... :D

lil-shawn

It would be a very smart step from the resort if they would return captain eo.
in disneyland california its a huge success, the merchandise was sold out short after they
begann to sell it. so if they would do it, i think it will have the same efect and would bring
in a lot of extra money for the resort.

dagobert

That would be great and it could be true, because former imagineer Tim Delaney mentioned this in an interview he did for the Season Pass Podcast a few weeks ago.

A reason not to visit WDW and instead going to DLRP.

CentralPlazaPerson

I've never experienced Captain EO so this is brilliant news for me personally. I hope this is true! :)

Malin

Sounds like an interesting rumour but I have my doubts. The closure of HISA is probarely a cost saving measure. Until its made official or a reliable source like Kristof comments on it, I'm going to regard this as speculation only.

luke85

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"I've never experienced Captain EO so this is brilliant news for me personally. I hope this is true! :)

Same, whilst I was never the biggest Michael Jackson fan, I would still like to see the show, to see what all the fuss was about!

Willow

Have no interest is Captain EO, not a Jackson fan.

However, I'm interested about what could happen once everyone gets bored of EO again. I wonder if Disneyland and Disneyland Paris are considering sharing R&D for a new attraction.

luke85

Actually I've changed my mind, I don't want it. Thinking about it, I'm just so desperate to see the end of HISTA I'd take almost anything in it's place. Willow's right, the public will soon get bored with Captain EO if it comes to DLP. Also, the movie must look SO dated compared with today's technology, if we think HISTA looks old, EO will look prehistoric in comparison.

Ideally, as Willow also said, I would like a new attraction, something really innovative that truly fits within Discoveryland.

lil-shawn

As i was reading on micechat long time ago, they refreshed the movie so it wont look bad, also it
runs just one year at disneyland and then get replaced by monster inc lough floor.
sure the peeps will get bored of it one day again, but if you look the other way, it would not cost that much
puting in the movie, also it will boost attendance and merchandise selling, so it would be just smart of the management, also this would be a way to make a very big promotion in every country of europe.

the thing is DLP needs a lot of money and this would help to bring money in, if its just for a short time ,but
still a lot of money... everyone of you want high quality attraction and new ones too but to built it they need money,
don´t look what you like and what you don´t like, think like a busines guy!

CafeFantasia

@Willow @Luke85

How can you not be Michael Jackson fans? :-) Have you actually listened to his music? What I like about it is, it's pure escapism. It's like the musical equivalent of Disneyland. Bad is my favourite album. Songs like "Speed Demon", "Liberian Girl", "Another Part Of Me" and "Leave Me Alone" really transport you. Michael always used to like to think of creating music as painting; creating imagery. And that's exactly what his music does. It paints beautiful colourful fantasies in your head.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/bad/id200007806

Anyway, great news about Captain EO. If it really does re-open at Disneyland Paris, I'll be there to see it :-) Sure, the movie is dated. But it's so magical, who cares? Disney's Peter Pan movie is dated too, but it's still entertaining.

dagobert

Quote from: "lil-shawn"As i was reading on micechat long time ago, they refreshed the movie so it wont look bad, also it
runs just one year at disneyland and then get replaced by monster inc lough floor.
sure the peeps will get bored of it one day again, but if you look the other way, it would not cost that much
puting in the movie, also it will boost attendance and merchandise selling, so it would be just smart of the management, also this would be a way to make a very big promotion in every country of europe.

the thing is DLP needs a lot of money and this would help to bring money in, if its just for a short time ,but
still a lot of money... everyone of you want high quality attraction and new ones too but to built it they need money,
don´t look what you like and what you don´t like, think like a busines guy!

That's a good point. You just have to look at the waiting times for Captain EO at DL, it's crazy. Captain EO would be played for one year and then replaced by something new, so I don't think that people will get bored, because most people visit only once or twice a year and for them it will be something new. The people who visit DLRP more often are also bored by HISTA. For example I visit only once a year and the last time I have seen HISTA was in 2006.

By the ways I don't want to see Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Discoveryland, although it is so much more entertaining than Stitch Live!

luke85

@ Alan

Growing up he always creeped me out, plus I think his music is overrated and I don't like his voice.

littlemermaid83

I personally would perfer a newer attraction.

Ok i know Muppets 3d may not fit into Discoverland but I would favour this over Captain Eo.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Disneydavid

I hope so :D!

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!