What are the best books about Walt disney (not park guides)?

Started by Disney Mum, April 04, 2010, 01:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney Mum

I want to know more about the man himself and/or about imagineering.  There are loads when I google them so wondered what books other Disney fans recommend for me to start with?  Saw a reference to The Animated Man in another post which is what intrigued me.

DLP - Magic Circus Sep06, SQL Feb07, Cheyenne Apr07, Sequoia Xmas07, SQL Jun09, HNY Sep10, SF Mar11, Cheyenne Jun12, NPBC Oct12, Cheyenne Mar13 soon SQL Dec13

Florida - Intnl Drive Aug88, Comfort Suites May08, LBV Resort Village Sep09, POR AR Aug/Sep11 soon Encantada/DCL Oct/Nov14

dagobert

I would recommend WALT DISNEY - The Triumph Of The American Imagination by Neal Gabler. It's very informative.

If you want something just about imagineering, there is only one book: Walt Disney Imagineering - A Behind The Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real by The Imagineers.

smithdwsn

The best book is Disney and his Worlds by Bryman and Alan. It is nice!

Disney Mum

Thanks both, I am putting these on my wish list as I have a birthday coming up, hopefully someone will buy me something I want!

DLP - Magic Circus Sep06, SQL Feb07, Cheyenne Apr07, Sequoia Xmas07, SQL Jun09, HNY Sep10, SF Mar11, Cheyenne Jun12, NPBC Oct12, Cheyenne Mar13 soon SQL Dec13

Florida - Intnl Drive Aug88, Comfort Suites May08, LBV Resort Village Sep09, POR AR Aug/Sep11 soon Encantada/DCL Oct/Nov14

ford prefect

Several books spring to mind:

Walt Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince Mark Elliot (Ok but a bit pretentious)
Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance - Karal Marling
Walt Disney Treasures
Walt Disney A Biography Neal Gabler (VERY GOOD!!!)

Other theme park books worth reading
The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at It's Peak by Jason Surrell
Disneyland Paris From Sketch to Reality
The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies -

All three well worth owning!!!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Disney Mum

Thanks for all those ideas, I have added a few to my wish list as it's my birthday next week and certain people normally buy me books I have no interest in, so hopefully this time I can give them a shopping list and have something good to read on my next trip to DLP!

Aveen2008

I have one called 'Remembering Walt', its really good, informative but not over the top and lots of nice photos, sort of half photos and half writting, not a novel type book.
I like reading and I read many books on various subjects i am interested in, as well as fiction/biographies etc but I have to say personally I really disliked the one by Neal Gabler, i find there is far too much unnesscary details and even though I was extremely keen to know a lot about Walt himself I was bored extremely after 2-3 chapters and actually sold the book on ebay. I had attempted many times to try again with it but it was just badly written in my opinion. I know people here say they liked it so each to their own!
Luv Aveen xoxo

Columbiad

Quote from: "kallishell"Tab on Book Travel and then you can pull up Hotels at Disney tickets and attractions,flights and create your own package for your price.Disney World on the other hand, was built late enough that they have a full city underground.

Kallishel, this topic is about books about Walt Disney. Theres a trip planning forum for adivce on things like that.
viewforum.php?f=13

Or theres also a Disney Parks sub-forum if you want to talk Walt Disney World.

viewforum.php?=12

And I dont belive WDW has a city below perse - rather a series of tunnels connecting the various lands. Theres also cast member changing areas and canteens down there.

But back to the subject at hand. :)