Cars Quatre Roues Rallye (Now Open!)

Started by Anthony, July 18, 2006, 07:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"Wow! Those are some really exciting pics Frank! Thanks for posting them.

Is it just me or do the cars look really small?

Ya, I really wanna ride these with my son.  I'mworried I won't fit!!!  That would be the fist time after visiting 8 Disney parks over a 30 year time line!
since 2001 (many before that)

Maarten

Crush's Coaster is shaping up nicely. I love the rockwork, mural and palm trees in the queue area. On the other hand, I am little bit more worried about Cars. Personally, I think the ride verhicles look really ugly. Why do they only have 3 different kind of cars? Besides that, I really dislike the backside of the cars. Well, hopefully the theming will make up for it, but at the moment I am not really impressed.  :?

Sigton

Quote from: "Maarten"I think the ride vehicles look really ugly. Besides that, I really dislike the backside of the cars.

The cars aren't that ugly, it is true that the back seats are a bit weird but it's not because the cars are a bit ugly that the attraction will be bad.

Quote from: "Maarten"Why do they only have 3 different kind of cars?

It's surely because it's less expensive and 3 cars is better than 1 car.

Kristof

QuoteIt's surely because it's less expensive and 3 cars is better than 1 car.

True, at DCA there are only Francis vehicles...

Maarten

Quote from: "Sigton"
Quote from: "Maarten"I think the ride vehicles look really ugly. Besides that, I really dislike the backside of the cars.

The cars aren't that ugly, it is true that the back seats are a bit weird but it's not because the cars are a bit ugly that the attraction will be bad.

Well, I think they are ugly. A matter of personal taste I guess? Besides, I never said that Cars is going to be bad. Although we shouldn't expect an e-ticket experience, I think it will be a lot of fun. But from an visual point of view, I hope that the themed surroundings will make up for the ugly ride vehicles, but I am sure it will.

Quote from: "Maarten"Why do they only have 3 different kind of cars?
It's surely because it's less expensive and 3 cars is better than 1 car.

So I should be happy that we didn't get just one version? This is Disney we are talking about. It's the details that make a Disney park stand out. They could, at least, have painted some of them in another color.

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"So I should be happy that we didn't get just one version? This is Disney we are talking about. It's the details that make a Disney park stand out. They could, at least, have painted some of them in another color.
I doubt they only have 3 colours to save money.  They went to the expense of designing these detailed custom vehicles, so I'm sure they could have stretched to have more different colours.

I think they didn't because it would have thrown off the art design of the ride and just looked messy.  All the colours they've chosen here are more earthy and fit the desert landscape very well.  If they'd have gone with the colours on the resort map, it could have just looked tacky.  Same reason there are only so many colours of tea cups and not a full rainbow.

And overall, I'm not bothered that Cars is such a small ride.  This is a park with just one other attraction for kids (Flying Carpets) and just one permanent show for kids (Animagique).  Other than that, they may as well go home, the rest of the park isn't for them at all.

I'm glad the vehicles are a bit more abstract too, I think it makes the ride a lot more interesting to look at than if they'd been uber-realistic cars like the ones in the film.  More exciting for kids, too.  I can understand in personal taste people might not like them (I'm not exactly in love myself), but I totally understand why the Imagineers designed them like that.

And for us, we still have the nice gift of some awesome themeing.  This area is just so different to the rest of the park.  For Mad Hatter's Tea Party they have a glass roof and some plants - for Cars we're getting Route 66, a condensed Radiator Springs, a desert landscape and several life-size Cars characters.  So even if you don't like tea cups, you're going to be able to wander around and appreciate the themeing.  I've never done that at the Mad Hatter's (as good as it is).

And hey, if all my arguments fail - this was greenlit by John Lasseter. Nuff said. :wink:

By the way - this wasn't aimed at you Maarten, just a general argument why I think people shouldn't give the ride a hard time. :) I'm sure I'll be ignored by everyone anyway...

peep

I'm liking the way this is shaping up. The cars look ok, although i must agree, a tad weird. Its obvious that the back is for adults and front is for kids. The back seats look very uncomfortable but I can't see it being an attraction the whole family can ride.

I can't wait to see more of the theming appear.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Nala_84

Sorry if someone has already asked the question, then I didn't see it ;)

I looked again at the concept arts and asked myself: Is it right that Cars Race Rally won't have a roof? So that you couldn't ride this attraction on rainy days?!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Anthony

Yes, there is no roof over the ride area itself (though the entire queue is covered).  But it'll still operate on wet days, of course.

There's no roof over Dumbo, Flying Carpets, Orbitron, etc and they're still very busy in the rain!

Kristof

No there's no roof, but wouldn't that be a bit weird for a canyon?  :wink:

Nala_84

Yeah right, that wouldn't have made any sense, a roof over a canyon  :lol:

Well, I'm optimistic, it won't be wet when I go there in September ;)
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Kristof

Well September is usually still quite warm, so you should be good.

humbug83

Disneyland Paris says opening date is 1st June!!!!!!!!!!

Kristof

Quote from: "humbug83"Disneyland Paris says opening date is 1st June!!!!!!!!!!

Usually when people on this board make a post like that, they also quote their source...

humbug83

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote from: "humbug83"Disneyland Paris says opening date is 1st June!!!!!!!!!!

Usually when people on this board make a post like that, they also quote their source...

I did. Disneyland Paris was my source!