Disneyland Paris Trip Report - 10.-15.02.2010

Started by dagobert, February 21, 2010, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

FWIW, it is all down to choices. We stayed in a Concierge Room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and then 6 months later the DLH at DLP. WDW offered a far worse experience, sadly.

As for restaurants, WDW is better when it comes to counter service or special requests. But when ordering standard menu items, the table service restaurants of DLP are better than the MK in WDW.

Overall I find modern WDW as disappointing as modern DLP. Neither seem to care as much. For me, only Anaheim, Tokyo and Hong KOng have me wanting to save up to go.

But yes, Disney attractions, entertainment, food, merchandise and hotels have all gone down hill in Marne le Valee and Orlando.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"FWIW, it is all down to choices. We stayed in a Concierge Room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and then 6 months later the DLH at DLP. WDW offered a far worse experience, sadly.

As for restaurants, WDW is better when it comes to counter service or special requests. But when ordering standard menu items, the table service restaurants of DLP are better than the MK in WDW.

Overall I find modern WDW as disappointing as modern DLP. Neither seem to care as much. For me, only Anaheim, Tokyo and Hong KOng have me wanting to save up to go.

But yes, Disney attractions, entertainment, food, merchandise and hotels have all gone down hill in Marne le Valee and Orlando.

Unfortunately at the moment we can't afford staying at the DL Hotel, because I'm just a student. I was just comparing Santa Fe, Sequoia Lodge and Pop Century. The last one offered by far the best room and the nicest CM's, but of course the Sequoia Lodge has a better theming and we liked the hotel a lot, except for the room.

We didn't eat often at table service restaurants at WDW. We only tried the Tutto Italia at EPCOT and the buffet restaurant Tusker House at AK.
At DLRP we have only tried Walt's, Blue Lagoon, Auberge de Cendrillion before it became a character restaurant and Agrabah Cafe. The food was always great, but the service wasn't. And that matters to me as well. The service in Paris never reached the same level we have experienced at WDW.

I can't wait to see DL Anaheim, since nearly everyone says that it is still the best Disney resort. Hopefully DLRP and WDW will each these standards again.

davewasbaloo

Agreed, if going budget, WDW offers better value. But the quality at DL is the best. And I understand Tokyo is even better. We are currently saving to try to get there.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Agreed, if going budget, WDW offers better value. But the quality at DL is the best. And I understand Tokyo is even better. We are currently saving to try to get there.

And we are currently saving for Anaheim.

cloudnut220

your pictures are so beautiful!  As someone used to the Florida parks, it's lovely to see attractions covered with snow!

dagobert

Quote from: "cloudnut220"your pictures are so beautiful!  As someone used to the Florida parks, it's lovely to see attractions covered with snow!

Thank you! DLRP is beautiful when covered in snow, but it was very cold. Nevertheless the snow adds a lot to the magic.

andrewuk

Great TR Dagobert.  :thumbs:

My wife, son and myself are also vegan and we have found it tricky at DLP, usually enjoying the great hotel breakfast  :D , but during the day its just fries, vegetables, fruit and salad :cry: . We have tried making contact with them beforehand and got nothing.  On our first trip the travel agent contacted them first and we got no reply then either. We did have a decent meal in the Captains Library at the Explorers though. However if you go into Paris you can get amazing falafel at the two Maoz shops! //http://www.maozusa.com/restaurants/locations/paris
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

dagobert

Quote from: "andrewuk"Great TR Dagobert.  :thumbs:

My wife, son and myself are also vegan and we have found it tricky at DLP, usually enjoying the great hotel breakfast  :D , but during the day its just fries, vegetables, fruit and salad :cry: . We have tried making contact with them beforehand and got nothing.  On our first trip the travel agent contacted them first and we got no reply then either. We did have a decent meal in the Captains Library at the Explorers though. However if you go into Paris you can get amazing falafel at the two Maoz shops! //http://www.maozusa.com/restaurants/locations/paris

Thanks a lot!

For me it wasn't that hard, because I'm just vegetarian, but it wasn't easy for my girlfriend. We traveled a lot in recent years and nearly everywhere it was possible to get a good meal, but not at DLRP, which says to have the Disney Magic and everthing is possible. Maybe we were just spoiled by WDW. I know it is also not the best maintained Disney resort, but you get so much more for your money. Especially in terms of food and hotels WDW has a higher standard than DLRP. So if you want to have a Disney vacation without starving, then WDW is the place to be.

Agrabah Cafe serves many salads suitable for vegetarians and vegans and Cafe Mickey serves delicious pizzas without cheese.

andrewuk

You seem to have been much better than we have been with finding vegan food: your report should make our future trips a lot better, so thank you very much.  =D>  :D
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne