How to start best with pin trading?

Started by Ronald767, February 03, 2010, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald767

Hi, I'm new in the pin trading and I would soon start collecting Pins. Who has tips on how I can best begin?

Thanks in advance!

Masamune

Decide in advance exactly what it is that you want to collect. :P It might save you some money in the long run, as if you can stick to it, it'll mean you won't be splashing out money on pins/themes that you don't actually collect.

Javey74

Quote from: "Masamune"Decide in advance exactly what it is that you want to collect. :P It might save you some money in the long run, as if you can stick to it, it'll mean you won't be splashing out money on pins/themes that you don't actually collect.
This I must agree with, real good advice here from Masamune..  :wink:

Masamune

:lol: That advice comes too late for me. I have over 460 pins now, and my collection is insanely varied. I find myself buying pins that I like a lot, but have no interest in collecting, which just seems like a waste really.

Javey74

Quote from: "Masamune" :lol: That advice comes too late for me. I have over 460 pins now, and my collection is insanely varied. I find myself buying pins that I like a lot, but have no interest in collecting, which just seems like a waste really.
I'm sort of half way to your dilemma, but I think I might have just rescued some clarity to our collection, simply as not too varied on the whole..  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Stitch2814

I agree with Masamune as well as there are soo manny pins it is easy to get side tracked on pins you like rather than what you want to collect, For me Ive stuck to just stitch and UP and even though Ive only been collecting 3 months or so now Ive been able to stick to it (for now at least)

pink_danio

I'm brutal. I jusy choose ones that i like the look of.... :oops:
I do like the pixar pins (monstors inc, cars, up, toy story etc) and the pirates ones.
But then i love so many more too lol. There is such a huge variety to choose from.

Aveen2008

I am the same as pink danio I tend to just buy what I like, its the pins I collect not a particular theme and I dont think it's a waste if you really like the pin. Although I did get carried away and just buy pins for the sake of it at the start which was a bit of a waste of money but they are lovely.

My tips would be:
Find out some information (like you are doing) about pins, the different types of pins - limited edition, core pins, hidden mickey pins, cast lanyard pins etc
If you want to trade pins there are various ways to do that e.g. in the disney stores with cast members, at disneyland/world parks, on websites with other collectors or with friends who also collect pins.

you can buy pins in disney stores, parks and many buy on places such as ebay.

It's something you pick up and understand the more you get into it:) if you have any questions we would be happy to help:)
Luv Aveen xoxo

pink_danio

sorry for hi-jacking.... aveen can i ask you what the cast lanyard pins are?

Aveen2008

yeah course no probs -  they are pins that can't be bought in shops they are given by the disney company to cast members for trading with pin traders/guests. If you are in a disney park or disney stores uk you may see a cast member (staff) wearing a lanyard with pins around their neck, some of the pins may be just pins that have been given to them in a trade but sometimes there are special pins called cast lanyard pins on there too. Most of them have cast lanyard written on the back and usually have hidden mickey's on them ( a lil black mickey head on the pin at the front)

:) hope that helps
Luv Aveen xoxo

Stitch2814

and I will add to what Aveen said about Cast Lanyard pins is that places like here and Facebook will get a heads up (sometimes) to what they are so we know what to look out for as some cast members dont know that much about pins so there could be one on their lanyard and not know its there as Ive had that before.

pink_danio

thanks for that :)
So i should prob bring a few with ,e to paris and keep an eye out for a cm wearing pins around his neck:)

Stitch2814

I have not been but I think (others can correct if Im wrong) but most wear a lanyard to trade from I think. As well there is a pin board for limited editions to be traded onto the board but someone else who has been and know the pin board can explain that as I have not been to DLRP myself :(

pink_danio

No  prob stitch, thanks for that :) Im sure when i get to the airport my hand luggage will be beeping lol.
Ive read on another site that they have 3 boards in dlp to trade from, one in the studios, one in main street and one somewhere else in the park. I've only 3 days so i best keep my eyes peeled lol

One final question...(for now) when you see the trade board who decides what you can and cant swap? Say i had two LE pins (the same) and i wanted to swap for one on the board - is it just a straight swap or how does that work?

Stitch2814

Ive got to remember how its been explained to me lol I think its 2 pins per day on the pin board and if the pin you want to trade is already on the board you cant trade it onto the board.