TDS | Fantasmic! April 2011

Started by Willow, February 02, 2010, 11:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

QuoteTokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary
New Nighttime Spectacular "Fantasmic!"

URAYASU, CHIBA—Tokyo DisneySea® Park has announced that a new nighttime entertainment spectacular titled "Fantasmic!" will premiere in April 2011 to kickoff the yearlong celebration of the Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary, which is September 4.

Taking place at night in Mediterranean Harbor, this spectacular features Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice who creates a breathtaking world of wonder and imagination. The show features fantastic scenes from many familiar Disney films such as Aladdin, Cinderella and Finding Nemo, as well as a thrilling sequence of Mickey fighting a gigantic dragon. Filled with special effects using water and fire on the waters of Mediterranean Harbor, this dramatic show promises a night of unforgettable fantasy and excitement for all.

Performances of "Fantasmic!" will continue to be presented after the Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary celebration ends.

Details
Duration: Approximately 20 minutes
Opening: April 2011 (date not yet determined)
Investment: Approximately 3 billion yen (£21 million, $33 million 24 million euros)

Note: "BraviSEAmo!" , the nighttime show currently being presented, will end on November 13, 2010 in preparation for the new show.

Looks like World of Color technology and a slightly more modern story based on the original Fantasmic!
The concept art is very close to one of the World of Color images.

Anthony

Why do I get the feeling that the dragon CA fans spent last year obsessing over will soon seem small fry...

Disney are favouring nighttime lagoon shows a lot lately, aren't they? It's good to see this won't just be the same old Fantasmic either - it seemed a bit of an unimaginative choice when these rumours first appeared, but obviously not.

dagobert

Fantasmic is great, we enjoyed it a lot when we have been to WDW. So I think it will be a good addition to TDS, but I have to say that I have never seen BraviSEAmo and so I don't know which show is better.

The concept art has really some similarities with WoC, so do you think this show will use the same technology like WoC?

charlied

I did think originally they were meant to be getting a clone of California's World Of Colour. But looking at the concept art- and judging by TDS' amazing history of quality and detail- this is going to be brilliant! Californian Disney fans must be slightly annoyed, they thought that their World Of Colour was going to be the best night time Disney show but then a year later Tokyo get something which is bound to be far better.

alka1

No. Nobody is annoyed. TDS Fantasmic will be an entirely different show. Remember that TDS was going to get a clone of World of Color, but ultimately opted out because the show was deemed too complex.

TDS Fantasmic will rely on floating barges, pyro, and live characters. Entirely different from World of Color. They also have a much smaller budget. Will their show be better? I don't know. They will be very different.

World of Color will have features that their show won't have, not to mention it is significantly longer at about 25mins in length time. A grid of over 1,200 individual fountains, the biggest projection surface on earth, lasers, fire whips, more fire than any other Disney show, etc, etc.

This is what World of Color's creator and director, Steve Davison had to say about the show:

Quote"This will be the biggest show of my career. In scale, it's huge! It really is. This is the biggest entertainment undertaking that we've ever done in entertainment. It's bigger than Epcot. It's bigger than anything we've done in Tokyo. It's bigger than any fireworks show we've ever done. So the company is really behind it."