Maleficent (Disney 2014)

Started by Pete's Dragon, January 19, 2010, 03:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

Accordingto an article from slashfilm.com

It bodes well for Alice in Wonderland that Disney are now reportedly lining up another revisionist re-take on one of their cartoon classics for Tim Burton to direct. Maleficent will be a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story that focuses on the Mistress of all Evil instead of that pretty somnambulist and her slightly creepy Prince Phillip.

The studio registered the domain name maleficentmovie.com some time last summer, so I've been waiting for news a while. Of course, until now I wasn't entirely convinced it was going to be a live action picture - well, in so much as it will be live action, which I'm expecting will be probably to just the extent that Alice is - and not an animated spin-off, a la the Tinkerbell series or that Timon and Pumbaa picture.

Burton also has his Frankenweenie stop motion picture gearing up to go, but even if he doesn't co-direct that one, as he did The Corpse Bride, the nature of animation should allow him energy and time to overlap some serious preproduction on another film.

The character of Maleficent is a Disney creation, the original storyline having an un-named evil fairy godmother. Since appearing in their Sleeping Beauty toon - in which she had some quite brilliantly grotesque sidekick-minions that I'd love to see in the Maleficent movie - she's cropped up in the House of Mouse TV series and the Kingdom Hearts videogames, both times as the supreme evil mastermind behind the heroes' and heroines' suffering. Essentially, she's the BIG Big Bad at Disney. As such, I'm not sure they'll let the adult Maleficent be a sympathetic character and if she's really going to be the film's protagonist, I suspect we'll have to go back in time a little, a la Wicked, and find out just why she's grinding her axes.

pussinboots

Jesus, we're going to psychoanalyze Maleficent? Find out what went wrong in her childhood?

It sounds fun enough, but Hollywood is reheheally out of original ideas. Every scrap of pop culture from the past sixty years has to be milked and revised, and now that every 1970s TV show and every superhero comic book has been used, they're entertaining the thought of doing adult prequels to 1950s Disney films.

I can't wait to find out what caused Mr Smee and Hook's co-dependent relationship.

Anthony

"Tim Burton is set to capitalise on the success of Alice in Wonderland by remaking another childrens' favourite: Sleeping Beauty, with Angelina Jolie in talks to play the villain"

:arrow: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/mar ... ing-beauty

-breeno-

Burton really is set out to try and ruin all of our childhood classics isn't he?  First Willy Wonka, then Alice in Wonderland, now Sleeping Beauty?  Please quit and try something original Mr. Burton, I think i preferred your work that way (not that i'm a huge fan of his, Nightmare, Mars Attack and kinda Corspe Bride is really it for me).

Also I'm not ruling out that someday he will remake the Wizard of Oz, mark my words it'll happen ;)
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

If we're giving him projects, I'd like a film adaptation of Phantom Manor/Thunder Mesa please. Heck, he can even let Johnny Depp play the Phantom!

Not sure how I feel about this because in truth, I never got round to seeing Alice in Wonderland. Oops.

luke85

Hmm not sure how I feel about this. I totally agree that his original films are great, Nightmare etc... But I really didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I liked Alice in Wonderland up until the bit where [spoiler:3uzp6n2i]the Hatter did that ridiculous "futterwack" dance to the even more ridiculous music, which reminded me of the CATCF music, and completely spoilt the ambiance of the film in about 10 seconds.[/spoiler:3uzp6n2i]

I'm only recently beginning to get a bit bored with Tim Burton films, I think someone needs to tell him that there are other actors apart from Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter.

Columbiad

Tim Burton's been dispoainting me. Alice In Wonderland was very disapointing. I think hisfilms that had better, original ideas and less budget were so much better. I think he'd do better to get away from Disney (unless it was a PM film).

This Maleficant idea sounds naff. Its just a Disneyfied-regurgitated Wicked. I hope its not true.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Columbiad"Tim Burton's been dispoainting me. Alice In Wonderland was very disapointing. I think hisfilms that had better, original ideas and less budget were so much better. I think he'd do better to get away from Disney (unless it was a PM film).

This Maleficant idea sounds naff. Its just a Disneyfied-regurgitated Wicked. I hope its not true.

I dont think I could have said it better. Alice in Wonderland was terrible, and Mr. Burton and Disney should part company for a second time me thinks

Snow_White_Girl

Am I the only one who liked AIW?? Lol! :lol: I love Tim Burton so anything he does is a must for me...but please please PLEASE don't let Angelina Jolie play Maleficent!! She will kill my favourite DIsney villain for me forever!! :( On another note, this does actually seem to be happening. Imdb has a release date of 2013.

\":lamp:\"

peep

Wow, has it really been a year since the last post in this topic?

Ok well news has just got out that Burton has ditched the idea of directing this and Disney are now looking for a new director to replace him.

Full story
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Anthony

Confirmed.

QuoteAngelina Jolie Stars in The Walt Disney Studios' Maleficent

04.09.12 – In theaters on March 14, 2014, the world-renowned actress becomes Disney's ultimate villain in the upcoming live-action film.

The Walt Disney Studios has announced a U.S. release date of March 14, 2014, for Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie in the title role as Disney's ultimate villain. The live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney's animated classic Sleeping Beauty. Leading a team of visionary filmmakers known for creating and transporting audiences to new and exciting worlds, Academy Award®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, and Oz The Great and Powerful) will direct with a script by Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland). Maleficent is produced by Joe Roth (Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful).
http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/04/a ... aleficent/

Columbiad

First photo of Jolie as Maleficant from the Disney and more blog:

"The Walt Disney Studios announced today that production began Wednesday, June 13th, on "Maleficent," starring Academy Award–winning actress Angelina Jolie. Directed by two-time Oscar-winning production designer Robert Stromberg ("Avatar," "Alice in Wonderland"), in his directorial debut, and produced by Joe Roth, "Maleficent" is written by Linda Woolverton ("The Lion King," "Beauty and the Beast") and executive produced by Angelina Jolie, Don Hahn, Matt Smith and Palak Patel.

Co-starring in the film are Sharlto Copley ("District 9"), Elle Fanning ("Super 8"), Sam Riley ("On the Road"), Imelda Staunton ("Vera Drake"), Miranda Richardson ("The Hours"), Juno Temple ("Atonement") and Lesley Manville ("Secrets & Lies").

This is the untold story of Disney's most beloved villain, Maleficent, from the 1959 classic "Sleeping Beauty." The film reveals the events that hardened her heart and drove her to curse the baby, Aurora.

Behind-the-scenes talent includes Academy Award®–winning cinematographer Dean Semler ("Dances with Wolves," "In the Land of Blood and Honey"), production designer Gary Freeman ("Saving Private Ryan," "The Bourne Supremacy"), two-time Oscar® nominated costume designer Anna B. Sheppard ("Schindler's List," "The Pianist") and seven-time Academy Award–winning makeup artist Rick Baker ("Planet of the Apes," "Men in Black")".

"Maleficent" is scheduled for a March 14, 2014 release in 3D, so you'll have to wait a bit to discover Angelina in this great villain role.

Thaliel

Well, miss Jolie does do for Maleficent, but what in Walt's name is going on with that cheekbone of hers?
<-Plz click

Columbiad

More pictures from filing coming through:

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... icent.html

Vegitabeta

I saw that pic of Jolie as Maleficent the other day on Facebook, and I think it makes a good first impression!  Can't wait for this, I think it is going to be a good one.