13/15 November 09 - Follow the Magic with Ford

Started by Caz, January 18, 2010, 11:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz

Hi all - this is my first trip report and I apologise for the lack of decent photo's, I don't really know what went wrong ( I didn't take them!) I hope the report is okay.  However I have included a link to Fords own vid of the VIP Party on the 14th of November. I also apologise for being a couple of months late in posting, Christmas kind of got in the way.

The Prize - two nights at NewPort Bay Club Hotel with two days park hopper tickets for family of 4 and VIP party at Walt Disney Studios from 9pm to 12 midnight on Saturday 14th hosted by Fords. Party in the Studios for the 250 winning families with characters, 5 rides - Tower of Terror, Crush's Coaster, Carpets of Agrabah, Cars, Aerosmith and Stitch Live.  Stars 'n' Cars Parade including Father Chistmas, free food from Studio 1.  Prize also included £140 towards travel costs and €250 in vouchers (worth an extra €37.50 with Shareholders discount :D ) to spend on food in the Parks and Disney shops.

Three weeks ago (at the time of writing) we (myself, hubby and sons aged 9 and 7) had no idea when we were going to be able to visit DLRP again. Then during half term we got the best surprise ever - picked from the reserve list as a winner of the above prize.  I quickly booked the tunnel for 6:20 am on Friday the 13th, tried to find out what times the parades were for that date, gave up and rang reservations to book a table at Walts as it was my birthday that day and had heard such good reports on their food etc. We took the latest lunch booking at 3:45pm (they were closed in the evening) and hoped the parade would be on at some point during our meal.

We set off at 4:30 am on the Friday morning, it was very wet and windy and I was very glad we wern't crossing by ferry! Arrived in France at 8am, their time, to be greeted by even worse rain and wind.  As we made our way down the A26 and A1 the skies cleared and sun began to shine.  We arrived at Newport Bay around 10:45 where we checked in at the Convention Centre. The Ford team were there to greet us and gave us a quick run down of what to expect at the Party the following evening. I was very pleased to see we had an Admiral Floor room and once we managed to get some key cards that worked we left our bags and headed for the parks.

Having bought shares at the end of last year, we hadn't yet had a chance to try out Salon Mickey and as it was already 11:40 didn't think we would be able to get in.  We knocked and then we were ushered in.  It was actualy quiet and we sat down for a welcome drink and pain au chocolat to keep us going till our very late lunch at 4pm! We left at 12 when they closed and headed into Disneyland Park.  

The weather was gorgeous, it was sunny and warm and the park seemed realatively quiet.  Walking down Main Street we stopped at Walts to check they had the booking and to request a table by the window. We did lots of rides that afternoon waiting no more than 10 minuets for anything and only had to get a fastpass for Big Thunder Mountain (although the wait time there was only about 20mins).  We even managed to do Autopia (previously put off by the queues).  The boys collected their envelopes to write to Father Chistmas and we headed up to Walts for Lunch/Dinner.  

We were given a great table looking out over Main Street and sat down to enjoy a lovely meal.  Hubby had prawns to start followed by a T-bone steak, I forwent a starter (nothing I fancied)  had salmon for mains, followed by a dessert selection comprising of cheesecake, exotic smoothie and creme brulee with chocolate macarron.  The children each had chicken and as they wern't keen on any of the dessert choices had icecream instead, topped with mini smarties. The total bill came to €84 (with 15% shareholder discount) and my only gripes were that childrens chicken was a little tough and although I didn't miss it till we had finished, we wern't given any bread and the children didn't recieve the usual complimentary toy :cry: . Also for over €5 the tea I had was very poor - yellow label teabag and some barely hot water in a pot - don't bother! . The staff were very attentive, probably because they were trying to hurry us along and as we were given the bill at 5pm the parade started.  Having finished our meal we were able to watch the parade and they didn't seem to mind us staying till the end.  All in all a lovely meal in lovely surroundings at a relatively reasonable cost (by Disney standards).

Hunger abated we carried on enjoying the atmosphere did a couple more rides and came back to watch the Fantalusion parade. By now we were beat and headed back to the hotel.

Saturday 14th November

Up early at 6:30am, we headed down to breakfast just after 7am as Cape Cod Resturaunt  had been reserved for Ford VIP guests until 8:15.  We sat by the window watching the rain lashing against them and the leaves spiralling in the wind.  We decided this was the ideal time to try the shuttle service and didn't have to wait long before one arrived.  It was still raining quite a bit when we reached the park but fortunately it wasn't cold. We a did a few rounds on Buzz  and headed over to Fantasyland to do the Snow White ride and the Carousel. The rain started to ease off and by now we fancied a warm drink so headed back up Main Street to Salon Mickey.  Knocking on the door there has to be one of the hightlights, it's so loud and everybody looks wondering where you disappear to. Inside we were offered a tray of goodies to choose a snack from and then sat down in the warm to enjoy a nice hot cup of tea and coffee. It was quiet, just us and another couple.  A lovely cast member called Samia came over to talk to us for a bit and then we finished our drinks and went back into Disneyland Park.

Despite the weather (no longer raining but quite windy) the park had begun to fill up quite a bit.  Queues for rides were noticeably longer than the previous day. We posted the letters to Santa and look round the shops on our way up Main Street before heading to the Studios to watch Cinemagique.  Once there we were dismayed to see Crush's Coaster wasn't running, Although we were saving the rides at the Studio's for the party in the evening, it would have been a real shame if any wern't working and we were keen to do this particular ride without the queuing beforehand. We were just in time for the 12:30 showing of Cinemagique - hadn't seen it before and thought it was brilliant! We did a few more things that wern't going to be open in the evening such as Armagedon and the Tram Tour followed by a spot of late lunch.  The boys had finally plucked up courage to try a bit of pin trading with Cast Members in the shops and that was it they were off, spotting the cast members, checking what they had that they fancied and making a trade - by the end of the day I think my youngest had mananged to trade his pins 3 times over, constantly spotting one he liked more than what he had.  The cast members were great with the kids, never impatient and always willing to trade.

We decided to go back to the hotel to enjoy a quiet couple of hours before getting ready to go out the Studios at 9pm.  As we wern't eating till later, I took the boys to the pool for a quick swim then it was a quick change and   :D/  Party Time  :D/

We arrived back at the Studios just before 9pm donning our 'Follow the Magic' bright orange wristbands.  In true English fashion there was an orderly queue waiting patiently :lol:
As the gates opened I spied Minnie, Mickey, Donald, et al waving.  As we walked in the "Film Crew" from Stars'n'Cars were "filming" guests arriving.  Walking into Studio 1 the band were playing and more characters were about meeting and greeting.  Santa Goofy then drew three families names to take part in the Stars'n'Cars Parade.  It was very strange walking round the park so empty.  First we went to Crushes Coaster, walked straight on and off we went.  After that it was Cars and then onto a Stitch Live.  No. 1 son was very amused to be chosen as the cheekiest monkey! :lol:    Then it was onto Aerosmith and a quick dash back to see the Parade at 10:30.  After the parade we decided to have a bite to eat and again it was very nice but very  strange walking up to the counter, ordering whatever you like and not having to pay :D

After eats, by this time it was about 11:30, it was another go on Crushes Coaster, the Carpets and then the Tower of Terror 8-[ .  I hadn't done this ride before and as my older son didn't want to do it my youngest volunteered to come with me. There were 5 of us waiting, and waiting, I was already apprhensive enough, then they moved us to another 'lift' and eventually, just before midnight up we went.  The view was fantastic, the effects were fantastic, falling in the dark....jury's still out :shock: Back in the real world we left the ride to find the exit locked then spent a few minutes wandering around thinking we'd been locked in the TOT for the night - more  :shock:  We found the fire exit and left the building  :!: The party was over now and we made our way slowly and reluctantly out of the Studios and back to the hotel.

[youtube:yt8e34r6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbzQOhal93c[/youtube:yt8e34r6]

The next day (Sunday) we had a leisurely breakfast, packed our bags and headed into the Village for a bit of retail therapy. We still had €100 in vouchers left to spend :D .  I chose a few christmas decorations for us and as gifts, a calendar, a limited edition Steam Boat Willie Mickey soft toy, some pins while the boys enjoyed trying to stuff as many bits as possible into a Mr Potato Head.  Money all spent it was time to say goodbye.  Walking back through Newport Bay there was one last photo opportunity with Goofy and I stopped to thank the Ford Team for a wonderful weekend. I've included the link to Fords video of the event on YouTube and it can also be found on their fan site on Facebook. Check out Facebook.com and search for "follow the magic".  

Overall this was a fantastic trip, what with the party, a truly money can't buy experience and spending money, and all being paid for. Fords were brilliant, very friendly and helpful although it all went so smoothly we didn't have to bother them at all! :D
Disneyland Hotel - SEPT 17
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Newport Bay Club - NOV 2009
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009
Davy Crocketts  -  AUG 2008

Annet

Sounds like you had a great time! That's some prize to win, wonderful!

dagobert

Great trip report and congratulations for the great prize!!

The Butlin Boy

Congratulations on winning, it sounds like you all had an amazing trip :)

Thanks for sharing your report with us too, I really enjoyed reading it =D>

kmara

thanks for sharing! it sounds like you had a wonderful time! what a prize to win!  :D
DLP]

March 1995 - Walt Disney World Florida

never2old

What a brilliant prize!! Really sounds like you had an amazing time, thank you for sharing it with us!

Caz

Thanks for all your comments.  We truly had a fantastic time :D .  It's great having a professionally made video of the "party" just got to work out how to get it onto dvd.  I've also worked out how to embed the link which makes the post look a little more interesting! Will also try to add the few half decent photos we have got.
Disneyland Hotel - SEPT 17
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Newport Bay Club - NOV 2009
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009
Davy Crocketts  -  AUG 2008