WoD store NYC Closes

Started by Clarebelle, January 02, 2010, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarebelle

31.12.09 was a sad day indeed, the last trading day of Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, World of Disney Store. The Flagship store which has been on the site since 1990 and was the biggest  of its kind outsite of the theme parks, will leave Disney with no official store in Manhatten and has made 148 workers redundant.

QuoteThe high cost of Disney's prime space at a corner of 55th Street and Fifth Avenue "did not make economic sense" for the company anymore. It was estimated that the company paid as much as $15 million a year in rent. For $2 million or $3 million in annual rent, Disney could get a storefront in the Times Square area that could serve its purpose of having a presence where tourists congregate.
[/i]
Ms. Consolo

Such a shame, I was getting uber excited about visiting the city again next year and WoD was on my list of things to do. Hopefully rumours are true that Disney will be opening a Disney Store in Times Square, although it will probably just sell the same old junk :roll: [/color]
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Malin

I can't believe Disney has no presence in New York, back when I first visted New York you had at least three including Times Square. But I guess the company must of closed that Store a few years back. The Fifth Avenue Store was the largest in the City but has sadly like the Warner Bros Stores has closed its doors for the final time. Not a nice prospect for Cast Members having to face the new year with no job.

Aveen2008

My brother was in it a few weeks ago and brought me back a frame and pin, glad he did when I heard it was closing :(
Luv Aveen xoxo

dagobert

It looks like Disney is opening a new innovative Disney Store at New York's Time Square in 2010.

http://micechat.com/forums/disney-busin ... quare.html

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... 6790.shtml

pussinboots

While I think this is a good move — touristy Times Square befits Disney better than fancy old 5th Avenue, and so does the rent — it's too bad that it will be operated by the Disney Store people and not Parks & Resorts. Sure, this new store concept sounds promising, so the decor might be wonderful, but has anything worthwhile been sold at a Disney Store in ten years?