Took my dad Nov27th-29th

Started by bensmum, December 20, 2009, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bensmum

Thanks to everyone who answered my initial post about older visitors to the parks. Here is my trip report.
Me and Ben stayed over at my dads the night before we left, at 03.15 my dad popped his head round my room door to ask what time I wanted to get up :lol: We were at the airport and booked in by 5, our flight was on time and we arrived in Disneyland Hotel by mid morning. I was bowled over by the hotel, I have fallen in love with the building, the rooms, the food, the staff and what is the fragrance they use? Booked in and left our luggage and headed off to the parks. It was cold and windy but dry, quite quiet and the queues were so small you hardly needed to get fast-pass tickets. We did BTM twice the POTC and went for something to eat. After a quick lunch it was IASM, caseys railroad and then the Labyrinth. Unfortunately when I turned round my dad was looking ill- he wasin a lot of pain from his sore hip, he sat down and took some paracetamol while Ben and I did Dumbo- smallish queue but we were all cold and tired by then so went back to the hotel to rest up. The room was so nice I thought we had been upgraded! Dinner at Fantasia - the characters were wonderful, Pluto was great with Ben even brought him an ice-cream!
Then we went back to the park for the fantalusion parade but the gates were closed and we couldn't get in until a nice senior CM came up and asked if we just wanted to see the parade and let us in. What a great first day. Park looked wonderful all done up for Xmas and the snow on mainstreet was very realistic to look at, I couldn't believe it was just foamy suds.
Second day we went to BTM then Santas Grotto- I think it would look better at night than on a cold wet morning. A long wait which got very cold. If I did again I would definately go later in the day. We did POTC, BTM twice and PPF before having a snack in the hotel. Coffee was lovely. Dad and Ben had a rest and I went back to the Park, got fast-pass for Buzz then did Star Tours, my first time and I felt a little nauseous when I left. Went back to pick up the crew and off to Walts for lunch. What a lovely meal but very expensive, I also saw where the snow comes from and wish I hadn't. We did Buzz, and the carousel and as it was cold wet and rainy we headed to the station and got on the train back to main street. We had tickets for Buffalo Bills which was great, I even got the veggie meal this time round so could eat, Ben and Dad loved the show. It was back to the hotel, we packed our cases to be ready to make the most of our last day then off to bed.
Breakfast was good as usual but we never make EMH??!! Too busy eating. We did BTM and the haunted mansion, POTC and PPF before heading over to Disney Studios Park. No Fastpass for the TOT so we headed for backlot tours which we loved, had a snack and saw Stars in Cars then off to the flying Carpets, Crush queue looked huge so we gave that a miss. Then it was time ti head back to the hotel, dad hates to be rushing so we ended up at the airport 3 hours before our flight :roll:  :lol:
Overall I would go again at this time, wasn't too cold, crowds were ok, not too long to wait for rides. Hotel- well what can I say- if only I could really afford to go there. No doubt I will when there is an offer on because I loved it so much.
Very few photos because it wasn't stand and pose weather but will try to upload some when I get some time.

brenjo

Sounds like you all had a lovely time.  The DH is gorgeous I would love to stay here all the time, but this trip we are giving the HNY a go as we have never stayed there.  Looking forward to seeing your photos.  :D/

bensmum

Yes we did thanks. Forgot to say that despite his initial apprehension my dad had a great time. He spoilt me and Ben rotten, joined in on the rides and kept up with the pace I set- he did say I'm like a whirlwind. We all had a lovely holiday but I would go for longer next time to allow for more breaks and a more relaxed pace. I do go at it as if it is a military campaign at times- parade time to be exact :lol:  :lol:  :lol: He says he will come again so I am thinking for bens birthday September next year-dad'll have recovered by then :wink:

Aveen2008

Hey,

I am really glad you all had a good time! It sounds like your dad enjoyed himself. It's a lot of walking for most people no matter what the age so he did well hehe!:)

looking forward to seeing your pics

:)
Luv Aveen xoxo

The Butlin Boy

I'm glad you all had a great time, and I hope you all have an equally great Christmas :)

jeakat24

It sound you you all had a lovely time and what a great opportunity to take your dad too. I'd take mine, but even though I don't go at a fast pace, he still wouldn't be able to keep up!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

dagobert

Thanks for your report. It looks like your dad enjoyed the time at DLP. Can't wait to see some pictures.