Hollywood Boulevard placemaking

Started by Anthony, June 13, 2006, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Hollywood Boulevard placemaking
Phase 1: Mid-May 2007, Phase 2: Late 2007

It was confirmed at a presentation to Cast Members in January 2007 that the small street leading from Disney Bros. Plaza to Studio Tram Tour is to be enhanced with the addition of several new sets and facades, creating a faux movie-set 'Hollywood Boulevard' to add to the placemaking and area development of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

Work has now begun.  Phase 1 of construction will last until Mid-May 2007.  Then, with the new Toon Studio area giving access to Studio Tram Tour, the rest of the street between Art of Disney Animation and the Tram Tour will close completely to allow the main works of the project to be completed.

Due for completion in November/December 2007, ready for the official opening of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror in January 2008.

In the extended future, beyond the opening of Tower of Terror, it is expected Production Courtyard will become known as 'Hollywood Studio' with further placemaking enhancements.  This topic is for the current Hollywood Boulevard development.

» Photos from Hollywood Blvd. at Photos Magiques
» Hollywood Blvd. project tracker at WDSfans
» Hollywood Blvd. project guide and history at DLRP Magic
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Original post:

"Hollywood Studio" coming to Paris?

Peter Bell's intriguing new MiceAge article brings news not just about Toon Studios, but also the upcoming Production Courtyard makeover for the opening of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Whilst details on the exact changes and additions to the area are still sketchy, Bell does suggest one very viable rumour that the entire area could be renamed "Hollywood Studio" once the improvements are complete.

Disney has used the "Hollywood Studio" nametag recently to create a new sub-area of it's Hollywood Pictures Backlot land at Disney's California Adventure, and this new rumour about the name being transferred to Paris has quite a bit of weight behind it. With Animation Courtyard next door being renamed "Toon Studio", the new name would balance the naming of the parks lands as well as reinforce the theme and setting of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror's Hollywood Tower Hotel. It could also draw together the current attractions into a more clearly defined theme.

As for what that theme will become once the "placemaking project" is complete, Bell suggests two options. The first would simply see "Hollywood Studios" become an expansion of the Tower of Terror forecourt, with palm trees, an ornamental fountain, art deco touches and extra seating. A brand new rumour, however, is that more radical plans could see Production Courtyard "transformed into a New York street set, with building facades erected around its circumference. Guests would not be able to see the attractions immediately, but would gain access by stepping through the sets into a faux backstage area. The attraction buildings themselves would receive some extra dressing to make them appear more like working sound stages." He goes on to comment that the sets would feature "an art deco feel, liberal amounts of neon, and plenty of fine detailing. If successful, the street set could even be extended beyond the Courtyard, starting at the exit to Studio 1 and running all the way to the Tram Tour station."

It is important to remember, however, that no decision has currently been made as to the direction the Production Courtyard retheme will take. The suggestion of a "Hollywood Studio" rename, though, seems a very likely option, whatever the final design choice.

from WDS Fans

penfold12

I have read elsewhere, that the Cine magique building will possibly get a new frontage, maybe a paris version of Manns Chinese Theatre, or even Disney's El Capitain Theatre? Lets hope so.

Does anyone know if the placemaking for this area of the park will be done in time for the opening of the Tower, or do they intend to do it after it opens?

Phil

Maarten

Quote from: "penfold12"I have read elsewhere, that the Cine magique building will possibly get a new frontage, maybe a paris version of Manns Chinese Theatre, or even Disney's El Capitain Theatre? Lets hope so.

I think we won't see a Mann's Chinese Theater frontage. That must become a huge entrance, and it will be much taller then the rest of the building. From the main entrance of the park it must look horrible. Besides that, I think it will be way to expensive. The El Captain idea sounds more realistic... we'll wait and see.

QuoteDoes anyone know if the placemaking for this area of the park will be done in time for the opening of the Tower, or do they intend to do it after it opens?

I thought this will be done in time for the opening of the Tower of Terror. I'm not sure, but at least I hope it will be ready by then. Imagine all kinds of media and celebrities at the Resort when the Tower opens (just like at the opening of Space Mountain in 1995), Disney sure wants the Studios to shine as never before... well, thats probably not to difficult as almost every addition or change is for the better.  :wink:

penfold12

Is the El Capitain in New York? If so that would fit wit hthe rummours of New York sets infront of existing buildings with plenty of neon!

I agree with your comment about Manns. It woul dalso be good to have something unique to DLRP

Maarten

Quote from: "penfold12"Is the El Capitain in New York? If so that would fit wit hthe rummours of New York sets infront of existing buildings with plenty of neon!

No, it's in Los Angeles/Hollywood (?). But it has plenty of neon above the entrance if I remember correctly...

Kristof

Photo from El Capitan Theatre:

Anthony

Looks like we definitely need to resurrect this topic! :o

From WDS Fans a few days ago:
QuoteThe Street Set, as reported a few weeks ago on WDS Fans, appears to be bigger than expected. That if we may believe "Soundtracker" on the Micechat forums:

This time, the Imagineers are going to focus on the area surrounding the Tower Of Terror, by installing a new Hollywood street set!The new set will run the length of the miniature boulevard, from the entrance of the Art of Animation building and La Terrace food court, right the way to the Studio Tram Tour station. The station will be hidden behind a large false perspective screen, a little like the one found at the end of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot street in the California Adventure park.The new street will also extend to cover the front of La Terrace, leading into the circular plaza of the Production Courtyard. If all goes well and extra funds are assigned, we might even see extra facades being erected opposite the Rendezvous Des Stars restaurant. (As detailed in one of Peter Bell's articles.)The facades should be in place for the end of next year/early 2008, and look set to totally transform the aspect of the Studios park! I for one can't wait!

As you know how it goes with rumours and the internet... we'll just have to wait and see!
And now more speculation from Soundtracker on MiceChat:
Quote from: "Soundtracker"As for the size, it won't be as impressive as the street sets in DCA or Disney/MGM Studios, although it should be a decent size in itself. Basically, as you exit Studio 1 into the main body of the Walt Disney Studios Park, you'll have the new Toon Studio entrance (already taking shape) on your right, while that whole space in front of you will be a new (relatively short) Hollywood Boulevard.

As already posted, it will cover up both the Tram Tour station, and La Terrasse in front of the Tower of Terror. I expect they will also build a new official entrance into the Production Courtyard plaza, to mirror the Toon Studio entrance across the way, although that's just speculation at this point.

Although not especially grand in scale, I've been told the facades are going to be very detailed, with nice little in-jokes, like the windows on Main Street.

This also paves the way for an extension into a full-length boulevard, should the Tram Tour station ever be moved.

Maarten

I'm thrilled to see a Hollywood streetset, although it might be a bit small. As long as it can capture the "Hooray for Hollywood!"-mood from the 30s/40s, I am already glad. But what I don't really understand... everybody calls it a streetset. Does this mean that it will become a set, or is it supposed to became a "real" piece of Hollywood? I hope it means the last option because I think that would work best with the Hollywood Tower Hotel story ofcourse.

Anthony

It will "just" be a set, false facades like the Les Parapluies one but on a much bigger scale.  From what I've read they'll be far more detailed then the Studio 1 sets, and since Studio 1 is so good at capturing that Hollywood magic you mention, it should be good.  Maybe they'll make some of them functional, like how they use the Shutterbugs set as a photo studio?

Either way, I think this is really just a stand in to make sure the ToT gives a good impression, paving the way for a full-on street set in many years to come...

Anthony

Interesting news from HTH2004 on DCP:

The placemaking will start on the 9th January with the addition of lots of extra construction fences either side of the new "boulevard" and around the Studio Tram Tour station.

It will all be finished by May.  Then, in October, fences will move further outwards near Armageddon, as the attraction is further integrated (plants, etc I guess).

So - much sooner than I expected, if this is true! :o

Kristof

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:   WOW.

Maarten

Let's bring it on!  :)

Anthony

Raptor1982 just sent me a picture message from the Studios showing that the trees between Disney Studio 1 and Studio Tram Tour have been dug out, ready to be removed!  So I guess that means these rumours are absolutely true - it all begins next week!

http://www.wdsfans.com

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"Raptor1982 just sent me a picture message from the Studios showing that the trees between Disney Studio 1 and Studio Tram Tour have been dug out, ready to be removed!  So I guess that means these rumours are absolutely true - it all begins next week!

Thanks for the pic. I am so excited to finally see some movement at that part of the park. Let's be honest; what is a studio park without a piece of Hollywood? Ofcourse we have Studio 1, which is nice, but no real streetset. I do understand that the Imagineers wanted to focus on the European history with cinema in the first place, but the Europeans are far more interested in Hollywood then the Imagineers could imagine while designing the current Walt Disney Studios park, I think. This is one of the only American themes that can't be beaten by an European take on the theme (unlike Disoceryland/Tomorrowland for example).  :wink:

penfold12

I Totaly agree, what we need is Hollywood!