Animation Courtyard Place-Making

Started by Kristof, June 08, 2006, 02:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Animation Courtyard "Place-Making"
Due to be completed June 2007.

This topic has now closed, since the Animation Courtyard Place-Making has become a part of the larger Toon Studio project. The entire land will become one single zone, named Toon Studio, so we think it'll make more sense to discuss all the enchancements in one main topic:

ยป Toon Studio

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Original Post:

Rumours have been circulating for some time that a large-scale enhancement and rethemeing programme is in the works for both Animation Courtyard and Production Courtyard, ready for the opening of Toon Studios and Tower of Terror respectively.

Animation Courtyard has already received a surprisingly well-themed Monsters, Inc. photo location, and now news has arrived from La Rouquine on Disney Central Plaza forum that the large-scale placemaking project for the zone has finally been accepted and the budget decided. Work should start later this year to transform the area in time for the opening of Toon Studios in Spring 2007. The similar project for Production Courtyard is still in the planning phases at Walt Disney Imagineering, but initial reports claim it looks to be an ambitious project that will definitely give this rather unspecific area a true Disney touch.

Rumours for the Animation Courtyard project are currently rather vague - we'll bring you more on these as soon as possible.

source: http://www.wdsfans.com

Kristof

According to Chat de Chester on Disney Central Plaza will the place making project include:

- Construction of Nemo & Cars
- Changement of the current decorations and theming of Animation Courtyarde
- Change the Animation Courtyard name into Toon Studios  :?

Anthony

I still don't believe they'll change the name of the land to Toon Studios.  it just doesn't sit right with the name of the park being "Walt Disney Studios".  It'll get too confusing for people, they'll think there's two different studios parks, they'll wonder why the 3 existing attractions are included in the "new" land... it won't be good.

I hope they just use "Toon Studios" as a land-within-a-land, like Thunder Mesa or Condor Flats (which, interestingly enough the head Imagineer of Toon Studios worked on, didn't it?).

Anyway, it's GREAT news these improvements have finally been given the go ahead.  I hope that budget they decided upon was good enough!  :wink:

DLRP.fr is reporting something about the parade being re-routed in June to miss out Animation Courtyard - I'm not sure whether to believe it or not.  :?

Kris

I think it makes sense for DLRP to change the name for promotional purposes. It's a lot easier to advertise and makes the space seem bigger, although only part of it is new. It would be misleading for guests as only a portion of the area is "new" however. They don't have to advertise the fact Animation Courtyard is no more or had its name changed as there are 2 additional attractions.

The theming for both areas does seem similar, so with a little bit of modified/enhanced work they would easily be "one". It's not the most honest way to advertise, but I am becoming increasingly sceptical of the way they advertise things like... Wishes are promoted for example.
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

Anthony

OK, it seems like the name change could become quite an issue, so I've opened a special poll to let everyone vote for which option they'd prefer: Clicky Here!

Kris has a good point that putting it all together to form Toon Studios would make it easier to advertise and make it seem like there are more new things to discover.  I suppose with the Monsters, Inc. photo location a bit of Toon Studios-style themeing has already appeared and leaked across into what's currently Animation Courtyard, making the total rename a much more possible option...

By the way Kris, will the Wishes advertising ever stop annoying you?  :lol: I don't think it's that bad.

Dlrpfan

the name Toon Studios does fit in with the rides in Animation Coartyard but i hope they dont do it. I would love to see animation Coartyard grow with new rides though
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

From http://www.wdsfans.com

QuoteMore and more rumours are starting to float around on the several message boards about the coming Animation Courtyard placemaking project. "Burne", moderator on Disney Magic Interactive shares some interesting rumours.

Animagique and Art of Disney Animation Courtyard will be repainted, according to him. Gold and blue, colours that are already present will set the tone. A new coloured floor, similar to the one at Fantasyland is an option.

A new Sorcerer Apprentice statue will be pointing to the Art of Disney Animation. Statues, similar to the ones used on the Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary, may be put on the Sorcerer's Hat.

He continues that Disney Cinema Parade will be re-directed to Production Courtyard during the works.

Stay tuned for more news in the coming days and weeks!

Kris

Hmm, seems like it will all happen then. I'm not totally for the idea and not totally against it either (unlike the "fireworks spectacular" Wishes lol). Not sure why I feel so strongly about the whole Wishes thing, but I just adore creative firework displays and of course DLRP. When I saw it the day after it premiered, I cannot describe how dissappointed I was. Major over reaction I know, but no dreams came true that evening for me  :cry:

Back on topic, I can see how the name-change could help the park's image and guests would also no-longer complain that the whole new land is really only 1.5 attractions. The new theming sounds great - always up for added details... so they have my blessing there (famous last words!)
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

Anthony

They've put markings on the ground near Flying Carpets already: http://www.disneymagicinteractive.com/v ... 3743#23743

Something to do with the extension of the "oasis" area perhaps?  An extension of the yellow flooring, or perhaps a new shrubbery/grass/flower area?

Kristof

:arrow: //http://scroogemd.site.voila.fr/jun06/placemak01.jpg

This will be one of the sanddunes for sure.

Dlrpfan

is this right oout side flying carpets of aladin? They might be extending the parade rute through to Toon Stusios
Dan

Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Anthony

Quote from: "Dlrpfan"is this right oout side flying carpets of aladin? They might be extending the parade rute through to Toon Stusios
I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, but then there are two things which make me think otherwise:

1) Toon Studios will already (hopefully) be a VERY busy and popular area.  It's also small, which means during a parade it could get dangerously busy.

2) The parade would have to leave the park between the Art of Disney and Imaginations building, right?  That means it'd have to cross the tram tour road to get to the backstage area - not good!  I know they have a similar situation with the Railroad and Fantasyland parade entrance in DLP, but here I don't think it'd work too well at all.

I'm still surprised just how quick these markings appeared - could we be seeing improvements rather soon then?  :o

Dlrpfan

Quote from: "Baloo"I'm still surprised just how quick these markings appeared
just like magic!
i hope there will be a few updates coming sooooon!
Dan

Maarten

Wow, this is really exciting and interesting. Please, let theme remove the aspahlt in this zone of the park (and Production Courtyard too ofcourse)... it looks simply afwul. Does someone know if we can expect more then just some sand and probably some palmtrees near the Flying Carpets? There is one thing I would really like them to add. Its a simple, cheap solution, which really adds the kind of Disney touch and humor we all love... the spitting camels as they can be seen at the Magic Carpets of Alladin attraction at the Magic Kingdom in Florida.  :D

Funny don't you think? Interaction with the guests is good in my opinion. Just look at the new Scream Monitors near the Monsters Inc. photolocation... it's really popular, while it's just a small investment.

By the way; Im not really sure if another Mickey statue will work. I also don't see why the Sorcerers Hat at the Art of Disney Animation building has to be changed that much? I actually like the building the way it is now.

Nala_84

I've never seen these spitting camels--they look sooo sweet and the idea is just funny :)! Would be great if DLRP could have them too... and yes, palm trees/sand or anything "special" are really missing there!!!
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]