[DLR/WDW] Toy Story Midway Mania

Started by experiment627, May 31, 2006, 07:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

Hey, well as you can see from the plans, this is the first Disney dark ride with two alternative tracks. So that's something new and radical. I wonder if you'll get to choose which track you want to go down, or if the two tracks are there simply to increase capacity?

On the downside, there isn't much track, so I wonder how long the ride will last. Will it be a short 2 minute affair like Crush's Coaster, or something more substantial like the near 5 minutes of Soarin?

Like Baloo said, this would make a great candidate for a future addition to the Walt Disney Studios, along with Mickey's PhilharMagic and Soarin'. Toy Story Mania on paper is high-tech, different, indoors, and something the whole family can ride together. Only problem is, with all those screens, will it be too much like a video game, and not enough like a proper ride? Will it be too similar to playing your PS3 at home, and not enough like a classic Disney dark ride?

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"On the downside, there isn't much track, so I wonder how long the ride will last. Will it be a short 2 minute affair like Crush's Coaster, or something more substantial like the near 5 minutes of Soarin?
I'm sure I heard the vehicles would stop for a short time at each midway game, you're basically just travelling from one to another.  The two tracks is a nice surprise though, I'm guessing it'll be random which way you go.  It's also cool that even though they've been hyping up how it's under construction at two Disney Parks at once, the buildings are both completely different.

It looks pretty big actually, I can't really think where it'd fit in WDS.  Maybe filling the entire space behind AODA?  I think it's more likely than Soarin or Philharmagic though.

Lordofthemightybeasts

All this new technology sounds great and all, but why can't Disney use it for some proper storytelling? I mean, Midway games? Isn't that the kind of thing that Walt stood against in creating Disneyland? Anyone in the entertainment industry should know that art comes first, and when technology is put ahead of it the results are very unsatisfying (eg- the Star Wars prequels). Think of all the amazing atmospheric settings that could be created with this, so why did they choose Midway games with Toy Story characters?

CafeFantasia

Oh right, the vehicles stop. So there could be, what, 5 different games/stops within the ride. And I can't imagine each game being any shorter than 30 seconds, so it'll easily be over 2:30 in duration. Good.

Yeah, I don't know where they'd put it in the Walt Disney Studios park as we know it. I guess the park will need to expand before we see Toy Story Mania.

With the Tower of Terror and Toon Studios now built, there remains just one available site within the Walt Disney Studios; the space between Cinemagique and Stitch Encounter. Realistically, what attraction could they clone from the other parks, and put in that space?

- Soarin' (would be huge success, but presumably just one theatre)
- Monsters, Inc. Dark Ride (a good addition, but shouldn't it be in toon studios?)
- Muppet Vision (unlikely, since it's yet another film-based attraction)

Owain

Quote from: "Alan"Oh right, the vehicles stop. So there could be, what, 5 different games/stops within the ride. And I can't imagine each game being any shorter than 30 seconds, so it'll easily be over 2:30 in duration. Good.

Yeah, I don't know where they'd put it in the Walt Disney Studios park as we know it. I guess the park will need to expand before we see Toy Story Mania.

With the Tower of Terror and Toon Studios now built, there remains just one available site within the Walt Disney Studios; the space between Cinemagique and Stitch Encounter. Realistically, what attraction could they clone from the other parks, and put in that space?

- Soarin' (would be huge success, but presumably just one theatre)
- Monsters, Inc. Dark Ride (a good addition, but shouldn't it be in toon studios?)
- Muppet Vision (unlikely, since it's yet another film-based attraction)
For me as im such a big fan, im hoping the next new ride will be in the Disneyland Park, Splash Mountain.  :) Although i would love for Soarin' to come to Walt Disney Studios.

Anthony

According to The Disney Enquirer:
QuoteDisney has filed a Notice of Commencement for a "Disney-MGM Studios Pixar Studios" facilities package. What does this all mean? Well, in the near future you'll be seeing the name "Pixar Studios" on more than just movies.

Disney has denied claims that it will rename the park, but has confirmed that the area around Toy Story Mania (currentlly "Mickey Avenue") will be renamed Pixar Studios. The name change will not likely occur until Toy Story Mania debuts next year.

The park's name will remain the Disney-MGM Studios for the foreseeable future.

Owain

Riebi

Is there a concept art or something how the pier should look like after toy story mania and the other changes?
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Owain

Anthony

Construction update at DCA:

It even "wraps" around California Screamin' with a taller tower at the back...

More: http://www.mousetimes.com/dlrpictorials ... ndex1.html

I love the design of just the frame, I wish they'd release some concept art for the actual building. This should be something pretty special for DCA.

Owain

The Butlin Boy

It looks so cool, I really hope that we get a version of this ride system in the Studios :)

Kristof

DLR has setup a preview site for the upcoming attraction!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "raptor1982"DLR has setup a preview site for the upcoming attraction!

WOW! That is a great site, I love the inside photos in the photo gallery, the ride looks so cool :D

Although, it makes you think, how comes they have started a site up for this which opens next summer, when the TOT which open in January has even got a proper mention on the official site :?

Owain

The ride cars look awesome !  :)