Digital 3D premium prices

Started by Anthony, October 09, 2009, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

So we were told Digital 3D would be the new frontier of cinema. And now we know why.

How much extra do you have to pay at your cinema(s) for 3D? Do you think it's fair, or not?

Have you seen a 3D film in 2D to avoid paying it?

Discuss...

(And is it obvious I've just spat my drink out checking prices for Up this weekend?)

Owain

Cineworld Cardiff - Additional £1.50/£2.20 onto your normal ticket price. So thats that added onto a £5.90/£6.90 normal ticket.

My local vue doesnt have 3D.

Odeon Cardiff - Additional £2.25 added onto a usual £5.50 ticket.

I always get around it by going on orange wednesday's to watch 3D films and use my student discount which gets me in for about £3.30 ?

Nicholas-c

Normal 2D ticket = £6.80
Normal 3D ticket = £8.80

To me. 3D is not worth it. I would rather watch a high definition 2D image rather than low quality, low contrast 3D image.
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Clarebelle

I paid £41.99 for me and the bf to see Toy Story and 3D, and thats just for 2 people. I was not impressed! the guy at the desk sold us gallery tickets, claiming they were just £3 extra :evil: NO double the price, and for added insult he sold the bf (who wasnt paying!!!!) premier membership.

However they were the BEST seats in the house and very comfortable! it was like a sofa, plus we did get the added bonus of free drinks, popcorn and chocolates.
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

The Butlin Boy

They are ridiculous it has to be said. Cineworld's prices are the best I've seen so far, but Toy Story in 3D, for some reason, didn't seem quite as good quality there as it did in the Odeon (I saw it twice :P ). However, for an adult to see a 3D film at an Odeon cinema will cost either £10.50 or £11 (depending on standard or luxury seats)!

Having said that, I do love to see a film in 3D, and as Owain said already, Orange Wednesdays are a godsend for Orange users (without it, I'd have only seen Toy Story 3D once! :o  :wink: )

peep

It's usually a £2 or so increase. I think it is very costly but I suppose the cinemas have to find a way to cover the cost of installing the new projectors etc. The usual price I have to pay to see a 3D film is around the £10 mark, then again I do live in London.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Gareth

i noly have to pay and extra 50p for 3d film normal ticket in £6.00 and for toy story £6.50 and £5.50 for my litlle brother so i was not fussed by price

[size=150]Please Follow Me - - - - Twitter.com/Gareth2100 ---- Thanks

luke85

My ticket was £10.20 at my local Odeon. I had no idea it was going to be that much! and to be honest, I probably wouldn't pay that again, UP was my first 3D film, and I genuinely wasn't that blown away by it. I think you'd get just as much enjoyment out of it in 2D.

Clarebelle

We went to the VUE to see up (only to get the free pin 8) ) and it cost us and extra £1 for superior seats and about £2.50 extra for the 3D £21.50 is definatly better that £42.99!!!
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

penfold12

Im torn on this one because being quite sad, I always feel the need to do the whole 3d aspect "incase im missing out" on something.

That said, I have yet to be totaly blown away by the 3D element, as has anyone I know.

Not being a glasses wearing person, I am always concious that I have the glasses on. I always get frustrated how the glasses "dull" the colours or the movie and indirectly gives to me the perception that the clarity is also diluted.

In addition to this, I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but unless you have the correct seats, in all the cinemas that I have been in, the projector light from the back of the auditorium is reflected in the bottom on the lenses.... also just making more aware that I am wearing glasses, and stopping me being fully immersed.

This weekend we went to see Up (great great film) in 3D. Two adults, two children with parking and drinks and popcorn £60, and it was over in less than two hours.

Nothing beats the thrill of the darkend movie theatre, but at that price, the clarity of Bluray and surround sound, and the ability to watch and re watch for £15 suddenly makes a lot more sense.

loladelorean

I have a Cineworld Unlimited card which costs £13.50 a month to see as many films as you want (I always see at least 5 a month, so its a great deal for me)
To see 3D films, card holders pay an extra £1.50. To me, this is OK but the reason I got the card in the first place is because the outrageous ticket prices were making me angry and causing me to visit the cinema less.
Up was the first 3D film I had seen, and I really enjoyed the extra elements it added. However, if I didn't have my card I probably wouldn't have wanted to pay close to a tenner for the 3D.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Aveen2008

Hi everyone

It was up approx £1.50 or £2 extra for us at omniplex cinema! Lets just say it cost £13 for 2 people (UP 3D)!! :roll: I think the prices in cinemas in general are ridiculous and never mind the tickets, i got a bottle of water at the cinema counter and it was £1.90! :roll:  They are there to rip you off.

I agree with everyone who says 3D is not worth it! At all in my opinion! At times whilst watching UP I took the glasses off and noticed little difference, in fact some of the scenes were pretty much ok to watch without the glasses and the glasses really had little effect, in fact it seemed no different than watching a 2D movie, only i knew i had glasses on and the glasses actually made the screen look a bit darker. I would not go to see a film in 3D again if it offered 2D.  :|
Luv Aveen xoxo

loladelorean

The problem is that it can be harder to find the film in 2D. for example, my local Cineworld is showing Up ten times a day in 3D, and only once in 2D (at midday).
So we kind of have no choice but to pay the premium if we want to see the film. It's been a long time since I last bought any drinks or snacks at cinemas, I always take stuff with me.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

Aveen2008

Quote from: "loladelorean"The problem is that it can be harder to find the film in 2D. for example, my local Cineworld is showing Up ten times a day in 3D, and only once in 2D (at midday).
So we kind of have no choice but to pay the premium if we want to see the film. It's been a long time since I last bought any drinks or snacks at cinemas, I always take stuff with me.

I have to say our cinema was luckily for some people showing it equally in both 3D and 2D. I actually did buy stuff to take with me too and usually do but I all of a sudden took a craving for the water because it looked lovely and cold hehe! :P
Luv Aveen xoxo

Owain

With orange wednesday and student discount wednesdays viewing of Up cost £3.05 each :D