Cozy Cone Motel - New Toon Studio Restaurant

Started by CafeFantasia, September 23, 2009, 08:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

This isn't much of an idea, but more just putting two and two together.

The Walt Disney Studios could do with some additional places to eat, particuarly in Toon Studio where there are only two "Toon Studio Catering Co." vans. Hardly permanent, established, inviting places to eat, are they?

Well over at DCA, the Imagineers have designed a new restaurant for Cars Land called the Cozy Cone Motel, which will serve food with a cone theme, such as "Cone on the Cob." Here are some photos of the concept art and model:

I think this restaurant would work great in Paris. It could be built opposite the Cars ride's Casa Della Tires, replacing the ugly Toon Studio city backdrop. The restaurant plus the ride would form a little Cars Land. Obviously nothing compared to what they're building in Anaheim, but a more immersive environment than what there is at present.

What do you think?

The Butlin Boy

Great idea Alan, I like it a lot and it would make an ideal addition to the Studios (as more of a snack stand/catering co style restaurant, save a proper one for when they open Ratatouille :wink: ). I'm not sure about where you've put it though. Your right in that it'd make a nice little Cars area, but that'd only isolate Crush as an out of place attraction even more. As well as that, it'd also eliminate what is a popular and well made meet 'n' greet area (which also of course ties in with the movie Studios theme at the same time).

I personally think it'd work much better on the small patch of grass highlighted in the below image. This way, even though it is pretty cramped, it can be attached onto the side of the existing Cars attraction/themeing and create a nice little entrance to the Cars area of the Toon Studio for those heading that way from Toy Story Playland or the Studio Tram Tour/Hollywood Boulevard :)

Well done, and thanks for sharing your great ideas =D>

luke85

Great ideas, WDS needs some nicely themed eateries and this sounds like the perfect choice!

I agree with TheButlinBoy however, I think it would be better positioned next to Race Ralley, make  that whole are into a mini cars-land!

Soap

What i think? Well....when is it finished  :P ???
Could bring some needed "life"  to that part of the studios.

Instead of only that big snake called "Crushs Q".......
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

I guess putting the Cozy Cone Motel restaurant NEXT to Cars Race Rally wouldn't be so bad. It'd be better than not having it all (the reality of the situation).

The clever thing is, there's something that links the Cozy Cone Motel with Toy Story Playland (well, Toy Story 2). Do you know what it is? Traffic cones :-)

There aren't really any thematic transitions at the Walt Disney Studios Park, something that Disneyland Park has hundreds of. But this would be one that they could do, that would make sense. Have some larger than life traffic cones on the Toy Story Playland site, so that it flows into the Cozy Cone Motel.

Anthony

...Not to mention the whole motel theme with its neon lights and kitsch feel also transitioning well with Hollywood Boulevard! As of next year, we're (still) going to have a completely unthemed path behind Art of Disney Animation and there's going to be a very strange gap in the themeing between the end of Toon Backlot and the entrance of Toy Story Playland.

I'm not sure if the space Butlin Boy picked out would be big enough though, not for anything better than the current catering vans. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the Toon Studio gates like you suggested, they're the only thing flimsily tying together the whole theme of the land.

So... compromise?

Have it blend into each corner of the area, keeping the gate and providing a weenie from the Hollywood Blvd direction.

This is a really good find anyway Alan. I wonder if DLP even considers things like this? Since the design work is already done, it can't be that expensive to build a second version. It'd probably pay for itself within a few years.

CafeFantasia

Great diagram there Anthony. Personally I prefer that location, because that way, standing on the tiny stretch of Route 66, you'd be completely surrounded (360 degrees) by Cars themeing.

I still hate the Toon Studio gates. The characters in Pixar's movies aren't cartoons. They're not toons. They have nothing in common with the characters from Who Framed Roger Rabbit or the styling of Mickey's Toontown. I think it would make a lot more sense if the gates were re-themed as the entrance gates to Pixar Studios.

Anyway, thanks for calling it a good find, but I highly doubt Disney consider ideas like this. It makes too much sense. It would provide a much needed permanent dining location, it would create a more immersive environment in the park, it wouldn't cost too much to build, and the design work is already done. But since when did good ideas from fans ever get read or listened to by Disney? It's never going to happen.

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"I still hate the Toon Studio gates. The characters in Pixar's movies aren't cartoons. They're not toons. They have nothing in common with the characters from Who Framed Roger Rabbit or the styling of Mickey's Toontown. I think it would make a lot more sense if the gates were re-themed as the entrance gates to Pixar Studios.
You're winning me over there.

In fact, I've been thinking for a while how cool it'd be if the Costuming/CM building was ever opened up as part of the park and they redressed the front to look like a mixture of Pixar and Disney's studios, with the atrium inside being a free-roaming mixture of restaurants, shops, Art of Disney Animation (DCA version) and The Walt Disney Story.

It'd definitely be nice to have a Toon Studio where the themes aren't so confined to their own "film sets" but blend into each other a bit. The transition from Crush to Flying Carpets has always been nice for that reason.

But you're right, never going to happen. They didn't even bother to theme that Catering Co. van opposite the ride.

josefina78

Well, that is a nice motel. As far as I know motel is a contracted term for motorist hotel, so in this new establishment it will really give insights to the motorists that this one offers not just a hotel but a place for refilling bellies. This cozy cone motel is made to house up to four cars for a cozy overnight stay. I really like the idea of that motel.

JelleP

I really love the idea!
Finally something that could bring some good food to the Studios. The only thing you can get there now is fast food, which is loved by children. But wan't it Walt's vision to have a place which adults AND children could enjoy? (A great example in the Disneyland Park is the Blue Lagoon Restaurant).
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CareZer

In this current time what is the situation now of the Cozy Cone Motel? I wish I can have time for vacation visit this place. I really love trying new things and going to new places.I hope I can enjoy it.  Plainfield Dining