Cars 2 (Pixar 2011)

Started by Captain Pan, August 24, 2009, 01:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Mount Fuji is in the background. :wink:

jeakat24

Hmmm interesting ideas in the video, I think they've got a lot to work with. I see your point about stereotypes Antony, but then the first Cars was a bit of a mixed bag in that area.
You've got Mater, the stereotypical Southern American but then you've also got Sally, the Porshe who loves a small town, so hopefully they'll get the balance right.
I have to say that the video and artwork have got me excited about this film
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

svenneke1

Teaser trailer appeared on the Pixar Facebook-page!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIjPDIozOOI

No scenes from the movie are included.

I just think it's weird that the trailer focusses on 'special agents', thought that was going to be a side-plot?

peep

LOL. The other day I was thinking "I'm surprised we haven't even seen a teaser for Cars 2 yet, especially considering it's released next year". Then I come on here tonight and low and behold a random teaser for the film has appeared :P

I don't really get the whole spy twist but I'm intrigued. Can't wait to actually see some footage from the film.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

dagobert

Finally something about Cars 2. I always thought that the second movie will be about Lightning participating in a race championship around the world.

sebassah

First teaser is up! I think it looks great! Love the laser coming out of Luxo Jr.

[youtube:3ugr91wf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIjPDIozOOI[/youtube:3ugr91wf]

Anthony

The official website has also been updated with a few new pieces of concept art - Cars-world versions of London and Paris, for example: http://disney.go.com/cars/cars2/index-cars2.html

I was thinking they might have trouble selling this to a wider audience, and the Bond/spy parody thing isn't really inspiring much yet... Will Pixar really be able to make it a big blockbuster or just a motor vehicle film version of Thomas the Tank Engine for young boys? And that's from someone who loves the first film. This will challenge them.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"The official website has also been updated with a few new pieces of concept art - Cars-world versions of London and Paris, for example: http://disney.go.com/cars/cars2/index-cars2.html

I was thinking they might have trouble selling this to a wider audience, and the Bond/spy parody thing isn't really inspiring much yet... Will Pixar really be able to make it a big blockbuster or just a motor vehicle film version of Thomas the Tank Engine for young boys? And that's from someone who loves the first film. This will challenge them.

I thought the same after seeing the spy teaser and somehow I think that this movie could be the first failure by Pixar. I'm sure it will make a lot of money, but I'm not sure if it will live up to the other Pixar movies in terms of depth, story and emotions. I fear that it will be like a Dreamworks movie.

BUT Pixar can prove me wrong and I have only seen the teaser. So there is still a lot to come and I'm still confident and hope that it will be a good movie.

What's the next Pixar movie that is not a sequel? Next year Cars 2 and then Monster's Inc. 2. Hopefully there will be something original too in the next years.

sebassah

QuoteWhat's the next Pixar movie that is not a sequel? Next year Cars 2 and then Monster's Inc. 2. Hopefully there will be something original too in the next years.

Dont forget between Cars II and Monsters II We have 'Brave' coming out in 2012 (also known as Bear and the Bow).

There is a topic on it at:
//http://www.photosmagiques.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6720&p=160943&hilit=brave+bear+and+bow#p114125

dagobert

Thanks for clarifying.

I wonder if it is Pixar that wants to make the sequels, because they really think they have good stories to tell, or if there is a pressure from Disney to do so, because they think a sequel will be a success despite weak stories.

I'm confident that Pixar will create great movies, but if the sequels aren't good it could become a problem fro them. There is a lot of reputation to lose. But I thought the same about Toy Story 3 and it turned out to be one of Pixar's best.

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "dagobert"I thought the same after seeing the spy teaser and somehow I think that this movie could be the first failure by Pixar. I'm sure it will make a lot of money, but I'm not sure if it will live up to the other Pixar movies in terms of depth, story and emotions. I fear that it will be like a Dreamworks movie.

BUT Pixar can prove me wrong and I have only seen the teaser. So there is still a lot to come and I'm still confident and hope that it will be a good movie.

Unfortunately that was exactly that was exactly my thought when watching the teaser :( Why make them spies? It sounds very unlike the first movie - hopefully it is just one of these teasers that actually end up doing nothing good for the film except creating some buzz... (Which in the end probably is the main task of a teaser)

Although Toy Story 2 and especially 3 proof me wrong I strongly believe that Pixar should stick to creating new and surprising stories, characters and environments - why postpone stuff like this in order to keep working on already made characters? (E.g. Newt being cancelled).

For me Cars is the weakest of the Pixar movies so I have my fears regarding this sequel.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

-breeno-

Quote from: "dagobert"I wonder if it is Pixar that wants to make the sequels, because they really think they have good stories to tell, or if there is a pressure from Disney to do so, because they think a sequel will be a success despite weak stories.
Personally I think this is the case for Cars 2, but not the Toy Story sequels.  Like many people I believe that Cars is the weakest Pixar (doesn't necessarily mean it's bad I enjoyed it, just when compared to others its at the bottom of the pile) however it was a huge success in the marketing which I think is the sole reason for this sequel, it's a shame but I feel it's true.  Toy Story on the other hand it was clear that Pixar just cared too much to do it purely for marketing reasons, you just have to watch 2 and 3 to see that.

Anyway, as for the trailer itself there's not really a lot that can be said.  I don't think they're actually going to properly make them spies, here's what Wikipedia says on the plot:

Quote from: "Wikipedia"The story sees Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson), his pit team and new pit boss Mater (Larry the Cable Guy) head around the world for the Race of Champions, to take place in five different countries and involve the champions of different disciplines like Formula One and rally driving. First up is a race in Tokyo, starting at Mount Fuji and heading downtown; then there's a German race through the Black Forest; then "Porto Corsa" in Italy, which is based partly on the Monte Carlo Grand Prix; then a 24-hour race around Paris (so somewhat like Le Mans then) and finally a thrilling climax in London, approaching Buckingham Palace (where the guards appear to be Land Rovers). However, Mater, involved in a case of mistaken identity, saves the life of a British secret agent named Finn McMissile and finds himself embroiled in his world of international espionage.

So to me that sounds like the main plot will be about Lightening and Mater being assigned to do various top secret missions while trying to convince this Finn McMissile character that they're just regular racing folk and not agents.  Still if that is the case it sounds rather clique to me :?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

sebassah

Eventhough I agree that Cars was my least favo Pixar movie, I think that with the success of TS2 and TS3 Im just gonna wait and see what happens. The cxl of Newt got to be the biggest Pixar disappointment ever!

I mean the plot of Nemo (Dad fish looks for son fish in the ocean) didnt sound that great but after some trailers and the actual movie it turned out to be a absolute master piece!

JelleP

Disney and More did a great article about Cars 2 (LINK) and posted some concept arts;

[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

DisneyPictures

Hey everyone, I work with Disney/Pixar and love that you all have already seen the teaser trailer and concept art! I am working with the studio to help get the word out about the film and share the latest assets to the fans, but I was wondering what are your thoughts on Pixar's portrayal of some of the world's most impressive landmarks?