"it's a small world" Celebration

Started by lil-shawn, August 22, 2009, 01:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

It's a Small World Celebration has now opened at Disneyland Paris :)

:arrow: http://www.disneymagicinteractive.com/p ... 257#p69257

pussinboots

Those signs are flawless! Good to see quality graphic design from the seasonal entertainment people. (Although I suspect they might not have done this.)

It's also good to see this ride get a little affection and attention for a change. The Parisian "'small world" always feels a little unloved compared to the madly popular versions in the States. Maybe if it's a big enough hit, it might inspire Euro Disney to give the exterior a minor fixer-upper... Change a few light bulbs, do a little scrubbing. (Are you reading this, Disney?)

smurfy74

When we were there on the 9th and 10th they were doing more than putting in the christmas bits and bobs you could see painting of the loading area and what looked like a general spruce up, im going again tomorrow so im going to see if this attraction is looking like its received some refurb lovin

Poppy The Monkey

What suprised me is that they've changed the full area musical loop around the attraction to a Small World Christmas Mix. Really makes this area come alive a bit more.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"Those signs are flawless! Good to see quality graphic design from the seasonal entertainment people. (Although I suspect they might not have done this.)

Well suspected; from what I've gathered seasonal entertainment didn't have much to do with this year's "Celebration". Its project manager comes from a business-related department and was a long-time operational cast member. When he proposed the project he was given a very tight budget and in my opinion made the most of it, not least because he's very hands-on and did a lot of things himself.

As for the graphics and music, he enlisted a friend of his (also a former operator) in the merchandise division to do the graphic design and audio mixing. The signage was then physically produced in the resort's Central Shops while Imagineering and the audio maintenance crew installed the new music.

They used the long-planned refurbishment to install the overlay, so yes, the attraction itself was improved at the same time.

The Butlin Boy

Pn-ride video for those who are interested:

:arrow: http://www.newsdlrp.com/video-24.html

I never did understand why they decided to get rid of this!?! Anyway, it's fantastic to see it return; a real breath of fresh air :)

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"Well suspected; from what I've gathered seasonal entertainment didn't have much to do with this year's "Celebration". Its project manager comes from the Business Optimization department and was a long-time operational cast member. When he proposed the project he was given a very tight budget and in my opinion made the most of it, not least because he's very hands-on and did a lot of things himself.

As for the graphics and music, he enlisted a friend of his (also a former operator) in the Visual Merchandise department to do the graphic design and audio mixing. The signage was then physically produced in the resort's Central Shops while Imagineering and the audio maintenance crew installed the new music.

They used the long-planned refurbishment to install the overlay, so yes, the attraction itself was improved at the same time.

Interesting as always!

So this project manager, evidently a man of skill and vision, will he be doing anything else in the near future? There's a certain late-October holiday with his name written all over it. In orange spray paint.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"So this project manager, evidently a man of skill and vision, will he be doing anything else in the near future? There's a certain late-October holiday with his name written all over it. In orange spray paint.

I'm sure there will be more to expect from him in the future if Celebration is received well. As a former colleague, I'm really proud of what he achieved.

Wishful thinking aside, I don't think that Halloween is going to change "owners" any time soon, though... I hear they're already preparing next year's -- uuh, decoration.

Fever

How long does this version of the ride go on for? I'm heading over for the 18th of January and would be great to see this!
Welcome foolish mortals

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "Fever"How long does this version of the ride go on for? I'm heading over for the 18th of January and would be great to see this!

February 15th 2010, I think.

davewasbaloo

One thing I am unclear of. Is this brand new music, or simply the return of the Jingle Bells/Deck the Halls/IASW medley?

I love this version, it so great. Especially cool is the portayal of the non Christians - the jews with the Menorah, the Africans and Asians. Love it.

I can't believe it went away. Anyway, that is not important. What is important is the fact it is back!  :D
since 2001 (many before that)

RiverRogue

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"One thing I am unclear of. Is this brand new music, or simply the return of the Jingle Bells/Deck the Halls/IASW medley?

It's the Jingle Bells/Deck the Halls/Small World music from California, which for the first time has been adapted in its entirety for the Paris version. In previous years, only the first and last two scenes used a few of these tracks.

The queue line and station feature a new mix of various tracks from the attraction. It's edited roughly like the regular area music, but incorporating Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls.

littlemermaid83

I'm so sad i didn't get to see this on my trip.

I love it, I actually agree with Dave why on earth did they take it away?  I hope its a regular addition now to the Christmas festivities.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

never2old

I'm hoping to see this tonight!  [-o<

Anthony

So how is "it's a small world" Celebration? Thoughts, comments...

Does it seem to be popular with other visitors?