20th Anniversary - is it already too late?

Started by ICHAPMAN, February 23, 2011, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICHAPMAN

Hi All,

1st - aplogises if another thread already exists.

A simple starting question:

With the 20th anniversary of Parc Disneyland next year (2012) is it now too late for DLRP to do anything big to celebrate.  

Once everyone spoken about Ratatouille as the big thing for the 20th, similar Star Tours 2 has been thrown into the discussion.   However as we approach the 1 year countdown with no sign of any construction etc are these options no longer valid and are we in for yet another birthday festival, with little new to actually show.

Discuss...

Iain

MissDisneyisMagical

I hope not i loved the 15th anniversary at christmas time in 2007 i was planning my trip for christmas 2012 well not planning more like as soon as i can book it im going! i hope it just all being kept hush hush and will be magical!
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

dagobert

Quote from: "ICHAPMAN"Hi All,

1st - aplogises if another thread already exists.

A simple starting question:

With the 20th anniversary of Parc Disneyland next year (2012) is it now too late for DLRP to do anything big to celebrate.  

Once everyone spoken about Ratatouille as the big thing for the 20th, similar Star Tours 2 has been thrown into the discussion.   However as we approach the 1 year countdown with no sign of any construction etc are these options no longer valid and are we in for yet another birthday festival, with little new to actually show.

Discuss...

Iain

I wouldn't expect a new attraction for 2012. Like many members here already said, I think if Ratatouille gets built it will open in 2013 to expand the celebration for another year, like DLRP did with TOT opening a year later.

Maybe there is a small chance to get Star Tours 2 next year, since it doesn't take too long to transform the current ride into the new one. At DL and WDW it takes less than a year. But don't get too excited, we are still talking about Paris.

The only things to expect are a new show on Central Plaza, a new incarnation of Toon Train, new meet and greets and maybe some decorations.

Josh

I think we should expect a bit more than that. We may soon hear them announce an attraction that will open in Summer 2012, as with TSPL. They might even have an attraction planned for that bare grassy area next to Indiana Jones in Adventureland... if we're really lucky.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Quote from: "Meph"I think we should expect a bit more than that. We may soon hear them announce an attraction that will open in Summer 2012, as with TSPL. They might even have an attraction planned for that bare grassy area next to Indiana Jones in Adventureland... if we're really lucky.

There is an attraction planned for that space, it's the Indiana Jones Adventure, but that's currently too expensive for DLRP and I'm very sure that this attraction will not get built for the 20th birthday. The plans for Indy exist for many years now.

davewasbaloo

Well there are still 8 expansion pads available in DLP, but I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Well there are still 8 expansion pads available in DLP, but I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you.

To be honest, I wouldn't even hold my breath for Star Tours 2 or Ratatouille. As long as there is no official announcement I don't believe these attractions are coming.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Well there are still 8 expansion pads available in DLP, but I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you.

To be honest, I wouldn't even hold my breath for Star Tours 2 or Ratatouille. As long as there is no official announcement I don't believe these attractions are coming.

Sadly I agree.  At this stage though I would be very happy with a full refurb and non character based entertainment, with a five year development plan.
since 2001 (many before that)

ICHAPMAN

So, then it would seem that we agree.  Next year's celebrations will are likely to be a rework of the 15th anniversary celebrations - which is what we've effectively been 'treated' to for the last 5 years.

Anthony

I suppose you have to remember that Crush, Cars, Tower... they were never built for the 15th Anniversary, it just so happened that that development plan ran through 2007 and 2008 and some bright spark suggested packaging it all up as an anniversary. A lot of things aligned that year. Having said that, it's a shame we'll probably not see anything new like Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade for this anniversary, let alone any new attractions.

Whether it's too late for those... I don't think it is. Ratatouille wouldn't have to open in December like the Tower, remember that ride wasn't given a grand opening until the following April. So they've probably still got a good few months to greenlight that. The ground is clear, the entrance walkway is done, development is probably done. If they aimed for April 2013, that's 25 months. Plenty of time. Given the entirely random opening date of Toy Story Playland, who knows when they'd want to open it anyway.

For Star Tours, if it did happen it'd never open in April 2012, but you could imagine it being a mid-year booster like Crush/Cars. So for June 2012, they've still got until roughly July or September of this year. Plenty of time for some Euro Disney SCA suits take a trip over to Florida or California and decide they can't not update the ride and the longer they leave it, the more the upgrade will probably cost. We have to hope they're not the same people desperate to fill the park entirely with characters and things for under 7s. After 5 years of that, adding (and advertising) a new Star Tours would be a massive diversion.

Be sure to mark all of the above as uninformed speculation. We're the only theme park fans who speculate about what we won't get, it's fun! :)

Pete's Dragon

Not really too bothered if there is a new ride or not for the 20th anniversary. Invest the money into refurbs which are so desperately needed and get the park looking as prisine as possible. I would certainly rather see the park return to it former glory than add more rides - which means more maintance costs.

What I would love (basically cause we're saving up to go Sept.2012) is loads of discounts: 30% off, free kids, extra day and night free. That would get me there quicker than any Parisian-Rat-Based-Attraction