Disney Stores getting major overhaul

Started by Kristof, June 25, 2009, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Jim Hill hints at a possible Disney Store name change:

QuoteWhile I was in Las Vegas earlier this month, I spoke with a Disney Store rep who talked about how The Walt Disney Company was getting ready to relaunch this retail chain. How their long term goal was to return the Disney Stores to what they were back in their glory days (i.e. late 1980s / early 1990s). Back when the Stores (More importantly, the Cast Members who worked for the Disney Stores) were basically ambassadors for the entire brand.

Well, based on the e-mails & phone calls that I've been receiving today, part of the relaunch of the Disney Stores may involve changing the name of this retail chain to (you guessed it) Disney Imagination Park. Mind you, this next generation series of Disney Stores (which -- again, based on what I've told today -- will do their proof-of-concept work overseas before then coming stateside) will be unlike any retail establishment you've ever seen before.

To quote one unnamed Mouse House manager:

"If the very best of Disney Parks & Resorts, Disney Online, the Studios and the original version of the Disney Stores could all be blended together, that's what a Disney Imagination Park will be like. It's going to be nothing like the Company has ever done before. This place is going to redefine destination retail."

So you can forget all about a new Disney theme park and then start thinking about the next generation / relaunch of the Disney Stores.  

Source

Adam

Concept fine, name bad. Imagination Park does not tell you want they do - sell stuff!

The Butlin Boy

Very interesting find Kristof, thanks for sharing it :)

The name, for me anyway, seems to hint that it'll be more than just a shop, something with some interactive experiences in it certainly, but I can't imagine what they'd do though... :-k

Agent Lex

Wait, why is anything from Jim ill being reposted here? We all know how reliable that source is :P

davewasbaloo

If true, this could be very cool!
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Sounds a lot like Legoland Discovery Centres. I like the concept, don't like the name. "Park" doesn't make sense.

Maybe just rolling out something more alike "World of Disney" would be better?

Pete's Dragon

Dont mind what they call it, as long as they hurry up and open one close to my house !!

Nearest shop - 60 miles  :cry:

Willow

I kinda agree with Anthony. I can see this being something like the Lego Discovery Centres that are starting to be rolled out at various places (next year at the Trafford Centre springs to mind)

I don't think this will be the replacement name for Disney Stores, its something more.

Clarebelle

is there any hint at opening up stores or "parks" in new locations? our town is nearly empty and I'm looking for a new job ;) ;)
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Luigi

Imagination Park sounds really not like a store at first, but i like the new concept for it.

Walts heir

Good idea

Kristof

News about to the Disney Store overhaul (though not mentioning a name change):

QuoteDisney Stores getting major overhaul
By Leah Zanolla
Oct 12, 2009

The Walt Disney Company is embarking on a major overhaul of their retail division - the Disney Stores. They are planning a complete overhaul of their 340 stores in the U.S. and Europe and even plan to open some new stores, including one in Times Square.

The stores will be given a "high-tech makeover" and will no longer only be filled with shelves of Disney merchandise. The five-year plan calls for Disney to spend around $1 million on each store to redesign and install new technology. There will be interactive theaters where kids can view film clips, sing in karaoke contests, or use satellites to speak with Disney Channel stars. The stores will have video-projected fireworks, "magic mirrors", and the ability to fill the air with a scent related to the film playing in the theater (similar to the apple pie scene in Mickey's Philharmagic.)

Just what makes Disney so sure this makeover is worth the cost? Steve Jobs, chief executive of Apple, is the inspiration behind the whole thing. Jobs joined the Disney board in 2006 and has encouraged the company to "dream bigger." Jobs has shared information with Disney about the development of the Apple stores, which have enjoyed a huge success since their opening. One of the things he insisted on was that Disney create a prototype store to work out all the bugs before implementing the changes company-wide. They did so in a secret warehouse in California, which was then used to sell the idea to the board.

Other nods to Apple include mobile checkout ("employees will carry miniature receipt printers in their aprons") and the focus on interactivity. Parents can even book Disney vacations on in-store computers.

The new Disney Stores will open in May beginning with California, New York and Spain.

Source: WDWinfo

dagobert

That's really great!
I didn't like the existing Disney Stores in the US (except the WoD store in NY, which I think will close soon) and the UK. The shops didn't look like something special and the merchandise wasn't great either. So they need to improve the merchandis, too, when they are opening new stores.

Hopefully Disney will open a Disney Store in Austria, although i really doubt it.

Aveen2008

This does sound really exciting!! I hope it is worth the major expenditure and that it will be as good as it sounds! :wink:
Luv Aveen xoxo

Anthony