WDW | Downtown Disney Rumors

Started by The Deadman, June 17, 2009, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deadman

Downtown Disney & Pleasure Island News - (6/16/09) I'm hoping to god this rumor isn't true, but the Save Pleasure Island blog has posted a story that indicates that the former Virgin Megastore site could be replaced by a display of gowns worn by Princess Diana. Yeah... you read that right. Somehow I can't see a display of clothing filling up the Starbillas joint, let alone the massive Virgin Megastore building... nor can I see people lining up to pay to see this. But I've been wrong before... Holyland is still open after all. (Tax dodgers...)
  In other news, there is another rumor going around claiming that AMC may be drawing up plans to possibly take over the building to convert it into new theater space, using the height to install a true sized IMAX theater as well. Of course there already is one down the road at Pointe Orlando...

Kristof

Quote from: "The Deadman"Downtown Disney & Pleasure Island News - (6/16/09) I'm hoping to god this rumor isn't true, but the Save Pleasure Island blog has posted a story that indicates that the former Virgin Megastore site could be replaced by a display of gowns worn by Princess Diana. Yeah... you read that right. Somehow I can't see a display of clothing filling up the Starbillas joint, let alone the massive Virgin Megastore building... nor can I see people lining up to pay to see this. But I've been wrong before... Holyland is still open after all. (Tax dodgers...)
  In other news, there is another rumor going around claiming that AMC may be drawing up plans to possibly take over the building to convert it into new theater space, using the height to install a true sized IMAX theater as well. Of course there already is one down the road at Pointe Orlando...

Source: www.screamscape.com  :wink:

Patrick

Well this sounds like the biggest pile of rubbish I have heard in a long time, thugh I have to say an IMAX could work, as it may just be down the road, but has anyone tried to get around orlando on public trransport? :roll:

AmericanMouse

According to Yesterland.com, Warner Weiss' excellent Disneyland memories site, the old Virgin megastores in NYC Times Square and Chicago became Forever 21 stores.

Aveen2008

My question is, was Princess Diana even well known in America? :?
Luv Aveen xoxo

Handy Andy

Quote from: "Aveen2008"My question is, was Princess Diana even well known in America? :?

Very much so. Every bit as popular in the States as she was here in the UK.
Magical Wishes
Andy

KellyBarns

QuoteWell this sounds like the biggest pile of rubbish I have heard in a long time, thugh I have to say an IMAX could work, as it may just be down the road, but has anyone tried to get around orlando on public trransport?

Think IMAX would be an excellent idea!  3D movies (especially with Avatar) will become more popular and it is a hassle to visit the one at Pointe Orlando unless you are planning to go to that area anyway.  As far as the Princess Diana clothes---more suitable for a museum exhibit--I know my kids aren't interested.....
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.---Ansel Adams
Orlando Hotels[/url]Disney World Hotel

Scissorsboi

When I was there in November they were doing "One Day Only!" half price entry to the Diana exhibition every day. And there still seemed to be no one there. It may have had something to do with the fact that it was highly priced and bombarded with "no photos, no video, no food, no drink, no phones" rules. If it was included in the hotel ticket package then I might have had a look in, but I couldn't justify paying for it.

It would make a great space for an Imax, but maybe an even better space for a second show theatre? I'm not sure how popular La Nouba is (it was definately very booked when we had free evenings), but maybe something along the lines of Lion King or Hunchback would fit into the space nicely!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.