Journey to the Center of the Earth ride??

Started by Kristof, April 05, 2006, 01:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Screamscape just posted this weird rumour about WDS on their site:

Quote from: "Screamscape"If the latest rumors are true, the park may already be looking forward to their next major E-Ticket attraction. It seems that the high attendance impact caused by Expedition Everest on Animal Kingdom's traditionally slow draw is being thought of as exactly the right kind of spark to help develop the Studios' lagging attendance trends. However it is not a copy of Everest that is being talked about it seems, but rather another mountain sized project from the far east... Journey to the Center of the Earth. This is ironic since we've heard several rumors over the past couple of years about adding a version of this to the Studios park in Florida as well. Lets wait and see what happens.

Martin

I hope it's true! That ride looks brilliant!

Kristof

Yeah, the ride looks really amazing, but... in the Studios park?  I mean... ToT already looks out of place.  :?   How can they integrate a vulcano at WDS or Disney-MGM Studios?

Although they could make a new land themed like a Jungle backlot or something.

Jon

i would love that to come to dlp it would be so cool!!!!
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?

Anthony

No!  Not the Studios!!!

Put it in Discoveryland either behind Space Mountain or as a replacement for Autopia.  With a big Discovery lagoon and maybe even Aquatopia, it'd be awesome!!

This is a very strange rumour though - I wonder where it came from?  Maybe from the abandoned Tram Tour set for the centre of the earth at Disney-MGM?  Rumours have a funny way of mixing themselves up...

Kristof

I agree with you about putting it in Discoverlan behind Space Mountain, and replace Autopia with 20.000 Leagues under the Sea from Tokyo...
This would be a nice topic in the Imagineering board.  :mrgreen:

experiment627

One thing I'd like to say: a volcano would look awesome in Adventureland    8)

But anyway: is it such a surprise that anyone would consider anything to add to the parks?

Patrick

Well as has been said before it needs to be put in Discoveryland if anywhere in the resort.  Journey to the Centre of the Earth can so easily be themed to fit in to Discoveryland, after all it could be like the original Discovery Mountain concept now that would look cool.  Put it in the studios and god knows why they want to create their second park they are working so hard to make a family friendly park into a super thrill park.

Kinou

Screamscape?
How come they still have credibility over there? ? ?
Hug it out bitch !

Daniel

If the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride does come to DLP it sounds like it will be a good choice for the park. Does anyone know what kind of ride it will be though?

Kristof

It's a ride that already exists  at Tokyo Disney Sea.

QuoteTravel deep within the Earth's core aboard one of many subterranean vehicles designed by Captain Nemo himself. Go deep into crystal caverns, ecounter giant mushroom forests filled with bizzare creatures, see a storm happening in the subterranean sea, and encounter a giant magma monster before shooting out of Mt. Prometheus, plunging into the depths of the volcano, and whipping across the entire caldera.

Here are some photos from the ride:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/photos/tdl/journey.htm

Anthony

From WDSfans:

QuoteScreamscape claims that the Soarin' plans have been dropped in favour of the Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction which is expected to open in 2010.
Really?  I mean... really?!  I don't believe it...

Kristof

Yeah sounds a bit far fetched.  :?

Kristof

From http://www.wdsfans.com

QuoteRumours are lately popping up about the possible addition of the Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction from Tokyo Disney Resort. Many fans and WDS insiders don't see this happening due to the size of the artificial volcano. But where there's smoke... there's fire!!!

WDSfans found out that the Studio Tram Tour will be closing after the opening of Tower of Terror for a major rehab and the addition of new scenes and props. Could these additions include a Journey to the Center of the Earth scene, as once proposed for the Backlot Tour at Disney-MGM Studios, as it would explain the confusion going around on the net!

Jim Hill wrote an article on his website several years ago about the Disney-MGM Studios addition, here are some highlights:

The plot was that - as part of your tram tour - you would roll up to a brand new soundstage. Where your guide would then tell you that your tram was about to roll onto a hot set. Which would seem particularly ironic - given that the first thing that you'd feel as your tram rolled into this cavernous building was a blast of cold air.

Mind you, the reason that you'd be feeling that extreme cold was - as your tram entered the building - you'd be rolling through a corridor that was loaded with enormous ice crystals...

As your tram continued to move deeper into the soundstage things would literally begin to heat up as your tram reached the center of the Earth. Where the remains of Atlantis seemed to float on a lake on liquid lava.

Which admittedly would be pretty cool to look at. If it weren't for that massive magma worm that suddenly rose out of the pool in front of us. Which now begins to snap viciously at all those guests on the tram.

Before that massive magma worm can actually put the chomp on us and crush our tram in its coils, our guide gets us safely out of the building. Which allows us to proceed with the rest of our tour.

At the end, the whole addition was scrapped and some elements got re-used for Tokyo Disney Sea's Mysterious Island.

Will things get hot at the Studio Tram Tour? Only time will tell!

More photos at http://www.wdsfans.com

Anthony

It certainly seems possible...

An indoor section through several soundstages would transform the tram tour into something truly special, and a JTTCOTE feature would fit in very nicely and allow them a lot of oppertunity for special effects and storytelling.

If I remember correctly, Walden Media are actually making a new film adaptation of the original story, but I beleive it won't have *that* much to do with the original book, and doesn't look like it'll become an Armageddon-sized blockbuster.

This news of a proper STT expansion after the opening of ToT is brilliant itself though.  I wonder if it'll involve the moving of the station and the new hub, all in the same project?  :D

It's great that we've still got loads to look forward to, even after Toon Studios and then Tower of Terror next year!