TDR | Toy Story Mania! (2012)

Started by dagobert, May 07, 2009, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Phew, thank you.

For Euro Disney SCA and OLC, Imagineering are just the design firm, contracted to design and build new attractions for them. The companies say "we'd like something like x for a budget of x" and then WDI make their pitch.

Or in this case, OLC probably just saw Toy Story Mania and the popularity of Monsters Inc next door and said "that's exactly what TDS needs..." Which might actually be true. There's not a single other character dark ride in the park, is there? As good as TDS looks, it's just something people expect.

Shame it couldn't have been something to push the boundaries a little, though.

brockboehm

I think the Cape Cod section of the American Waterfront would be the best location for it, but I can't picture where exactly they would place it.

So, is the entire Cape Cod area not going to be Cape Cod anymore? Will it be rethemed to a boardwalk? I don't see how they can add Toy Story Mania and not change any of the buildings.

Willow

It looks to me like they are planning on making Toy Story Mania feel a bit like a Carnival/Circus. Nothing like the other two versions already built.

So the boardwalk theme won't come into it. It will just be like a Circus/Carnival visited a town.

Ice101

Quote from: "brockboehm"I think the Cape Cod section of the American Waterfront would be the best location for it, but I can't picture where exactly they would place it.

So, is the entire Cape Cod area not going to be Cape Cod anymore? Will it be rethemed to a boardwalk? I don't see how they can add Toy Story Mania and not change any of the buildings.
It isn't going to Cape Cod.  It is going between ToT and the Broadway Theater.

Anthony

Toy Story Mania! will open on 9th July 2012.

QuoteThe attraction will be located in Toyville Trolley Park, a new area themed after an old-fashioned amusement park. Toy Story Mania! will have a few differences from the attraction here at Walt Disney World Resort, including the fact that guests will initially enter through Woody's mouth. From here, guests will find themselves in Andy's room, which is strewn with larger-than-life board games, puzzles and other toys.

Guests later board a tram, put on 3-D glasses and roll under Andy's bed where the toys have set up a carnival play set. Joining in the fun, guests play the carnival games with all their "Toy Story" friends.

The attraction also will be accompanied with Slinky Dog's Gift Trolley merchandise shop.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ea-july-9/

Ouch. Sticking with the Andy's bedroom theme? In American Waterfront? They're just not even trying now.

They could have kept the funfair theme and invented a new set of characters to base the games around, not (very very painfully) shoehorn the plainly 1950s-2000s era Toy Story toys into this beautiful land. I'd have preferred Duffy Mania!.

mattboywonder

Apparantly, it cost $150 million dollars.  WIth a pricetag like that, DLP is never going to get an attraction like Toy Story Midway Mania despite that fact is is the most popular attraction at WDW (it terms on wait times)
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

davewasbaloo

I hear you Anthony, hence my vitriol of the current so called creative decisions being made lately. It isn't even a great attraction. I have a 3D Tv, a Wii and a PS3 Move, not need to go on TSMM.
since 2001 (many before that)

mattboywonder

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I hear you Anthony, hence my vitriol of the current so called creative decisions being made lately. It isn't even a great attraction. I have a 3D Tv, a Wii and a PS3 Move, not need to go on TSMM.

Oh come off it - it IS a great attraction.  People come off it with great smiles on their faces and think "I have to do that again" - its great fun :lol:  :lol:
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

davewasbaloo

No thanks. But I don't like Buzz much either. But at least that has fully realised (albeit cheap and tacky) sets. I stand by my assertion.
since 2001 (many before that)

BadKid

I wonder how much it costs to build each attraction.
 I hope they build a TSM in DLP.
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)