DLR / WDW | Star Tours 2 - The Adventures Continue

Started by Willow, May 05, 2009, 12:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebassah

Even though its not as "new" as the original ride it would be a very welcome improvement to DLRP...

BadKid

[youtube:2eyv2kz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI[/youtube:2eyv2kz8]

The advert for this is so funny.
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

sebassah

Quote from: "BadKid"[youtube:1a3lsami]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_dZPVg8KI[/youtube:1a3lsami]

The advert for this is so funny.

I love this add its so much better than the "Tell them" commercial on in Europe right now

Scissorsboi

Having ridden the version at WDW I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy this version as much as the original, the actual ride movements felt a lot tamer, and not as exciting a journey as ST1 did. Too much story and not enough action for my liking - also as much as people rave about the queue changes, they're basically the same as the old queues, but with minor changes to them to make them feel less 'retro', and some effects which didn't really work because I didn't understand what they were supposed to be showing (particularly the thermal reader).

My main gripe with the attraction was that I detested the fact that my photo was put on the screen. I know it's the 'in thing' now, but if I queue to go on a ride, I want to enjoy the ride and not have my photo flashed up on the screen for all else to watch. It may just be the shy retiring British aspect of me, but I felt really uncomfortable being singled out as a spy and shown to the rest of the simulator!

It's not a ride I'd queue for again, randomised sequences or not, I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere - Muppetvision is in need of a refresh for example, with the relaunch of the franchise, but Star Wars was fine as it was..
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

bowlingformatt

I honestly believe the lack of investment in upgrading this ride at DLP exemplifies preciselywhy the park is lacking the excitement and all round 'togetherness' the others around the world do so much better.

I love having a Disney park on my doorstep but the fact Euro Disney SCA has "no" plans to upgrade this 20 year old attraction is beyond me. I'm glad to see it's been a good financial year for them recently and I'm all for the new dark ride devlopment next to Toon Land but my goodness - why do we always have to be SO far behind the rest of the other parks?

Does anybody know/have any idea/inside information that would shed any light on when or if the attraction is going to be upgraded - if only to restore my faith in Euro Disney SCA.
DLRP: 1997; 2001; 2008; 2012
WDW: 1996, 2009

dagobert

Matt, you are not the only one who doesn't understand this. According to Mr. Gas upgrading is currently too expensive and the guests are still happy with the ride. There is a trip report on an US Disney board that shows missing letters at Star Tours. I would be a little bit happy, if the current ride would be refurbed. It must look really terrible.

I do understand that ED SCA focuses on WDSP, but ST needs to be updated. I hope that George Lucas will step up so that Disney is forced to bring ST II to Paris. However I highly doubt it. I thought that DLRP would get the upgrade together with TDR, but that's not going to happen as well, since TDL starts the upgrade soon.

But DLRP is the first park when it comes to ruining the atmosphere with rubberheads.

Columbiad

Having ridden the ride on Tuesday, I found it tiresome and boring and thats only having ridden it twice before. The technology seems dated, especially the projections. It needs something to inject some excitement into it.

I stand by the fact though, that I think it should be shifted to the 'Studios, and that prime space in Discoveryland given over to something that fits in with the theme. However, this'll never happen.

dagobert

I don't mind having ST inside Discoveryland, but I agree It would also fit into WDSP. Disney should move it there, then rip out Buzz Lightyear, or move it also to the Studios. Buzz should be replaced with a Jules Verne themed table service restaurant and the ST and Captain EO area should be used for building Journey to the Centre of the Earth and so the whole land would be worth to call it Discoveryland again.