DLR / WDW | Star Tours 2 - The Adventures Continue

Started by Willow, May 05, 2009, 12:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

Its been years being rumoured..... and its still being rumoured.

But the rumours are starting to gather more steam than they have in previous years.

Reports of Lucas filming something at the moment.
The LA Times reporting that Yoda is involved in the story.
Reports that WDW is having a big expansion in the next few years, including Star Tours.

Could we finally see Star Tours 2 make an appearance? Would it get rolled out to all Disney Parks or just America?

The Butlin Boy

I've been reading up on this too, and apparently:

QuoteSecret Star Wars Production Shooting in Hollywood
Posted on Friday, May 1st, 2009 at 6:00 am by: Peter Sciretta

Yesterday was the third day of a secret LucasFilm film shoot in West Hollywood. If you were allowed to enter the "LODESTAR" production stage, you would've seen Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar, a Tusken Raider, and even some Jawas. C3PO himself Anthony Daniels will be filming later this week.

So what is LucasFilm shooting? The good news is that George Lucas isn't making a another Star Wars movie (not yet anyways) or additional scenes for some super duper special edition. And No, the Star Wars live-action television series has yet to begin production. So what is it? Answer after the jump.
LucasFilm is shooting new footage for the Disney's Star Tours ride.

Sorry guys, had to do the big tease. It was too good not to...

The ride really hasn't been updated since it opened in 1987.  It's not the total podracer reboot that was rumored a few years back, thank God. I'm hearing that its essentially the same ride but updated. It sounds to me like they might be shooting the footage in 3D, but I'm not sure.

Our source reveals that the revamp will incorporate prequel characters (like Naboo citizens and Geonosians) along with many aliens from the original trilogy (Aqualish. Bith, Rodians, etc). In the action sequence, the Star Tours vehicle is now going to be chased by Boba Fett.  C3PO and R2-D2 are still the hosts, and Anthony Daniels will be recording his parts this week. Admiral Ackbar holographically communicates with the Star Tours vehicle. Right now they're shooting mostly green screen footage, as it is the middle part of the production timeline.

I was a huge fan of this ride as a kid, but when I revisited it a few years back, it did feel dated. Not in a "Back to the Future... The Ride" way. The experience of entering the Star Wars universe was still there, it was the technology that felt dated, especially compared to some of the rides that have been opened in the last decade. If the revamp incorporates 3D as I suspect (there is a convergence tech on set) and features new action sequences (ie Boba Fett), it would add new life to the aging theme park attraction.

Sounds good to me, the best news out of all of this is of course that they are sticking with the original trilogy :D/ It also sound likely that it will be in 3D too, which just makes it even better 8)

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/01/sec ... more-26790

Agent Lex

I just find it too hard to believe Star Tours 2.0 rumours. That said, I do tend to trust slashfilm, and the story differing from the podrace is a welcome change from the norm for the rumours.

Fingers crossed!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Agent Lex"I just find it too hard to believe Star Tours 2.0 rumours. That said, I do tend to trust slashfilm, and the story differing from the podrace is a welcome change from the norm for the rumours.

Fingers crossed!

I'm feeling pretty confident that Star Tours 2 will be opening in the next few years, whether it'll just be in the states or in all the resorts, I think we can expect it soon :)

TimBabbComedian

I'm wondering how Yoda will be involved in the story...seems odd to me.

And Boba Fett is dead in the current timeline of the ride (Supposedly it takes place after Return of The Jedi...when what was left of the Empire gets the bright idea to build yet ANOTHER Death Star with the same weakness...oh those wacky Imperials)

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "TimBabbComedian"I'm wondering how Yoda will be involved in the story...seems odd to me.

And Boba Fett is dead in the current timeline of the ride (Supposedly it takes place after Return of The Jedi...when what was left of the Empire gets the bright idea to build yet ANOTHER Death Star with the same weakness...oh those wacky Imperials)

"Hmmm, Star Tours, the wrong way you are going. Immediately, you shall stop!" :P

Good point there about the continuity, but Boba Fett is just way too cool for me to care about that to be honest. I'm just glad we're not going Pod Racing with an Audio Animatronic Jar Jar Binks :roll:  :wink:

CentralPlazaPerson

This sound really exciting. I hope it comes to Paris.
Anymore news guys?

Anthony

Funny you should ask. From the latest Al Lutz column on MiceAge:

QuoteWhile Disneyland seems relatively quiet by comparison, there are a few surprises proposed for the original park in the next few years. The most promising is the new Star Tours 2.0 makeover that has just recently received its funding greenlight from Burbank and is now slated for an arrival in Tomorrowland in the spring of 2011. While that attraction was originally supposed to arrive in spring, 2010, we'd detailed for you in a previous update how a wussy executive team out in Orlando got cold feet at spending as much money on their version as Anaheim had planned to spend on their installation.

While Orlando's executive suites are still full of charmless pencil pushers who make Ed Grier look like Walt Disney Jr. in comparison, a financial deal was finally worked out that is allowing Disneyland to move forward with their original plan for the full-feature and big-budget remake of the popular 1980's E Ticket. You can also thank George Lucas and his creative team for refusing to give in on Orlando's proposal to scale the makeover back for East Coast audiences.
http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al070709a.htm

So great news!

Now, it'd seem like a natural addition for the 20th in Paris, but I suppose it depends just how "big budget" this remake really is. I want George Lucas to make it awesome, but I also hope he doesn't completely price it out of ever coming to Paris.

I'd still prefer it in Backlot than Discoveryland, anyway...

CentralPlazaPerson

Really good news!!! :D
If they get WDW and DLR sorted out with star tours in 2011, they could then get it sorted out in 2012 in DLRP, Tokyo and possibly Hong Kong...just in time for 20th anniversary in DLRP.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Anthony"Now, it'd seem like a natural addition for the 20th in Paris, but I suppose it depends just how "big budget" this remake really is. I want George Lucas to make it awesome, but I also hope he doesn't completely price it out of ever coming to Paris.

Erm... potentially MASSIVE! :shock:

We've all heard the strong rumours for the sequel to be in 3D and with in vehicle special effects (sparks, etc). This morning I also read an article which says that Tokyo Disneyland/Oriental Land Company want to invest in the project too (and we all know what they are like with their money). Now here's the interesting part that we haven't heard much of before, alternating stories! According to the source which I read this morning (I will quote them in a second :wink: ) the new attraction may be getting alternating opening, middle and ending scenes! Want to know how many? Well this site is suggesting that there will be 25 different opening scenes, 25 different middle scenes, and 25 different ending scenes, which together will create hundreds of different possibilities. Of course, none of this has been confirmed or announced, but this could be incredible! :mrgreen:

Quote1. STAR TOURS: As rumored, the rehab is about to start. And you know why? Because Tokyo Disney (Oriental Land Company) wanted their own version so they poured in some money. And George Lucas has been VERY involved. The new version sounds REALLY cool. Apparently, the original Star Tours was supposed to be updated every three years or so with a new film (ha!). So now, they're creating a new 3-D film (yes, everyone will have to wear 3-D glasses). The new film will be set in the time between Star Wars Films 3 and 4 (so, after Queen Amidala's death but before Luke finds Obi Wan and blows up the Death Star). But here's the cool part -- they're saying that the ride will now have hundreds of versions, so guests will never know what they're getting into....they're going to film about 25 openings, about 25 middles, and then 25 endings, so your ride will never be the same...this is one way to make sure it stays fresh for MUCH longer. I can't wait to see this.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200906/1248/

peep

Wow if that is true that would be amazing. I'm not fussed about the 3D part but the alternating versions is absolutely awesome. I really do hope that Paris get involved too, would be a much needed addition to the park.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Pete's Dragon

In mid-September, Disney is holding the D23 Expo, an "ultimate fan experience" convention which will feature sneak peeks at the future of both Disney's films and theme parks. And the official website mentioned that George Lucas' Star Wars would have a presence at the convention, which got quite a few Star Wars fans excited. Enough that Disney released an official statement:

Quote"In response to inquiries from Star Wars fan sites about Storm Troopers at the D23 Expo, D23 issues the following statement: "We were contacted by the Galactic Empire and have been advised that Imperial dignitaries will be attending Disney's D23 Expo," said Steven Clark, head of D23. "As a result, a legion of Storm Troopers from the 501st Battalion will be patrolling the Anaheim Convention Center on Saturday, September 12."

Soap

This could be great news for the parcs!
ST1 is badly in need of some new energie!! Still fun thou, but at his end.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

Confirmed at D23. Coming to Disneyland California and Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2011. The ride film will be in 3D and feature Pod Racing. No mention of Disneyland Paris :(

http://wdwpress.com/twitter/star_tours_5120.html

Cendrillon

I am SO excited about this new update! The video they released looks truly great!
It is disappointing that nothing was said about Paris though...