Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

The whole thing looks out of place, but look at the number plate! Can anyone make out what it says? What ever it says though, it looks awful :?

Anthony

Hmm, I thought the number plate was ugly too, but it's actually the one for Albuquerque, New Mexico:

...Which is where the High School Musical films are apparently set. So, looks like there's been enough thought put into this (on the Parisian scale) to mean it's a fairly permanent addition ...  :|

lil-shawn

hey guy´s this is what i read at micechat.com

QuoteMost of the interior decorations have already been removed, and the restaurant will close completely between the 8th and 16th of June. When it re-opens, one half of it will have a High School Musical theme, and the other half will have a Pirates of the Caribbean theme. Both sections will feature original props from the respective movies, and face characters will also be on hand for photo ops.

Even the name of the restaurant is due to change, although I've no idea what it'll be called.

hehe i think if its true the new name will be restaurant backlot or the bad food and service restaurant  :lol:

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "lil-shawn"
QuoteEven the name of the restaurant is due to change, although I've no idea what it'll be called.

hehe i think if its true the new name will be restaurant backlot or the bad food and service restaurant  :lol:

The High School of the Caribbean Restaurant?
The Pirates of the High School Musical Eatery?
The Captain Jack needs to get his Head in the Game Cafe?

Any more? :wink:

Anthony

Restaurant des Blockbusters?
Restaurant des Stars 2?

Probably too ambitious, it'll be just plain Restaurant de Backlot.

Since there are really three or even four actual areas of the restaurant, it'll be interesting to see how Pirates meets HSM in the middle, open area. I can imagine how the rooms on the the far left and right could look, but not that main entrance and serving space.

Would be nice if each area had its own music loop, too. Anything other than that aggressive Backlot loop.

Anthony

Just posting up some photos.

More at WDSfans.com...

CafeFantasia

So how's this going to work? Are they simply going to hang props from these 2 movies around the restaurant? Or are they going to heavily theme the restaurant so that it looks like you're eating INSIDE the movie Pirates of the Carribean, complete with theatrical lighting effects?

Will they keep it light and airy inside, or will they make like dark like Restaurant en Coulisse in Studio 1?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Alan"So how's this going to work? Are they simply going to hang props from these 2 movies around the restaurant? Or are they going to heavily theme the restaurant so that it looks like you're eating INSIDE the movie Pirates of the Carribean, complete with theatrical lighting effects?

Will they keep it light and airy inside, or will they make like dark like Restaurant en Coulisse in Studio 1?

Perhaps WDSfans can help us out here... :wink:

Quote from: "WDSfans"McFly brings more news on Disney Central Plaza about the Backlot Express make-over.

Work will be finished between 8 and 16 June and will transform the restaurant in 2 large rooms. One will be themed after a basketball court from the High School Musical movies.

The other room will be themed to Pirates of the Caribbean with actual props from the trilogy, directly imported from the United States.

Nicholas-c

Well, it looks to me like its been given a lick of paint ? Props to be dusted and returned hopefully :)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Owain

Offtopic; For some reason on the pirates side of this refurb, reminds me abit like the pirate rooms at Disneys Caribbean Beach Resort in WDW, Florida.

Normal room;

Change into pirate room;

By the way, not all rooms are pirate rooms, there is an upgrade price for these rooms  :wink:

Back on topic;

I have never been into backlot express so i cant share my views on the restaurants service but i feel that themeing the restaurant to films (franchises?) would be great !  :)

peep

I am very sceptical about this change. I loved looking at all the random props around the place, spotted something different every time. At least they will be real props from the films I suppose but I still don't fully understand how these two rooms will work, does it mean the food will be served either side of a wall separating the themes?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

luke85

I have never been into the Backlot Express, it doesn't look inviting and always struck me as a cold/uninviting exterior. Having the new theming would actually encourage me to go inside for a change, perhaps this is what DLP will hope will happen with many other guests. Also this area of the park is what I could call a  "thrill" zone, there's not much for families, so by including HSM and POTC theming, DLP might be hoping for a more even traffic flow around the park, instead of the majority of families crowding Toon Studios?

I know that lots of the props inside the restaurant have gone (I only know of this because I've seen before/after photos), but I think if the creative people get it right, maybe the new themes will be a welcome addition to WDS. I do hope that the original props will find a place somewhere else though.

Kristof

Just posted this to WDSfans... The new name for Backlot Express will be....

Blockbuster Café

Quote from: "WDSfans"McFly brings once again on Disney Central Plaza the latest news on the Backlot Express changes.

He says the new name will be... Blockbuster Café.

Backlot Express Restaurant will close on 8 June and will re-open as the new Blockbuster Café on 16 June.

What do you think of the new name?  Share your opinion on the magicforum here!

Source: McFly on Disney Central Plaza / translated by http://www.wdsfans.com/

CentralPlazaPerson

Just recieved the update on Twitter. I thought it was going to be changed to HSM and POTC restaurant?

Kristof

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Just recieved the update on Twitter. I thought it was going to be changed to HSM and POTC restaurant?

It's not like they're going to rename it the "Pirates of the Caribbean and High School Musical Restaurant"...  :wink: