Javey74's Trip Report [22nd - 25th Feb 2009]

Started by Javey74, March 03, 2009, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Day 1 – The Set Off From Home.. :wink:

Weather at Home: Dry, cloudy but mild.. :)

Got up around 9.30am Sunday morning, started to put the last minute items into the suitcase and hand luggage.  The house needed the last minute tidying and vacuuming, then if was off to Vanessa's Mam's, with the dog, as she was looking after him whilst we were away.  Went through about 11.00am, ended up having a sandwich before heading for the airport.  We left for the airport at around 12.00pm, which was a touch early, but we had arranged to park the car at the 'Bellair Car Parking' facility, just outside Newcastle International Airport, I must admit this was a really quick system, you just drive your car in to the reception drop off point, giving the keys to the staff at reception, who then move your car to a storage area for you.  You get on a shuttle bus just outside of the reception, then it's about a 3 minute trip to the airport terminal building entrance.  Well, once in the building we headed towards check ins, but we realised we were a little early as the check in desk was not open, so we decided to go for a drink and a cake in the Gregg's café to pass a bit time.  :)

Eventually we got checked in and past security, we then decided to have a look around the duty free shops, just to get a few edibles for the flight.  We sat down waiting for the boarding gate number to come up on the screen, having been sat for about 15 minutes I heard what seemed to be some sort of alarm going off, then the next thing we heard was a security announcement telling us to evacuate the airport using the nearest fire exit.  Well people around us started to move, others were still sat down looking confused whether to move or not, so we headed towards some security people near one of the fire exits, only to be told to return to where we were, so much for an evacuation  :!:  :roll:

Shortly afterwards though, we did see some firemen going towards some toileting area.  I was thinking, someone's been smoking in the toilet, just imagine if the whole of the airport was evacuated through that one person.  Some people just don't think... :x

Anyway our flight was on time, and we boarded, happy to get onboard ready for the off.

The weather on arrival at CDG was cloudy but dry and a little cold. We had landed at [Terminal 2b]. I got my terminal map out, which I'd printed off at home earlier, so I could find exactly where Gate D12 was, that was where the VEA bus was picking up at that particular terminal.  While waiting for our cases I quickly summed up looking around which way we needed to head to get to D12. After collecting the cases, we speedily headed off, getting to the bus stop in no time, within seconds a taxi people carrier pulled up and let a family out, the driver looked at us and asked if we were waiting for the Disney Bus, we said we were, and then he said that he could get us their for the same price as the VEA charge! Well that was good enough for us, one reason being that we weren't standing around getting cold, and two, we'd get there a lot quicker than the bus would.  Now for those who have read my October 2007 report may remember the taxi we got into that time put the fear of god into us seeing the speedometer hit 95mph then disappear behind a crisp packet that the driver had left wedged in the display panel behind the steering wheel, so god knows what speed we were actually doing, plus I didn't have a seat belt to wear either, [gulp]  :!:  :shock:  :shock:

Well this journey was just as exciting but not for crazy speed, I was sat in the front with Marc, the driver. I quickly realised that once we got onto the A104 heading towards DLRP his headlights weren't very bright, infact they didn't look on at all, even though his dashboard was illuminated.  I asked him about them and to cut a long story short he said that his right main beam bulb had blown yesterday and his left one had blown today, so all he had was his side lights and full beam.  I asked him why he didn't use full beam, since the sidelights were not lighting up the road in front at all, to which he replied that it was against the law. He said he would hopefully have a car near him in front and follow his rear lights. I was thinking, "What at 80mph or more" OMG.  :shock:  :shock:

Don't get me wrong he was a really happy chirpy driver, and he talked to us about DLRP on the way, but I couldn't help but cringe at times when the motorway went into a stretch with no lights, just up front there is a tight bend looming, taking us off the A104, he said, "You go on Tower of Tower", I said I would be, he said "Well coming up is the Bend of Tower", and it sure was in the pitch black with hardly any visibility. There was another tight bend later on and I said, "Second bend of terror", he said, "Actually this is a road of terror", I couldn't help but laugh at this point.  :lol:  :lol:  :mrgreen:

We were shortly approaching the outer ring of DLRP, it was then I noticed that when he was swapping lanes he was leaving his indicator on in the direction he had moved to and only changed it when he went back to the lane he started in. I quickly realised that he was doing this to have a quick flash of light on the road to see where he was going, I think he realised that I'd cottoned onto what he was doing, oh he was full of initiatives, can't fault him for that.  :mrgreen:

Anyway, we reached the Santa Fe at around 7.30pm, which worked out at only 40 minutes trip time from the airport.  We made a quick decision to book him for the return trip, since that would give us longer in the parks, than if we had to get the VEA bus.  He gave us his business card and booked our return trip in his book, he told us he would text us about midday on the day we were leaving just as a reminder, and if we had any changes or problems just to give him a ring. We headed for the Santa Fe reception where there was no one in the queue so we got served quickly.  We were given the usual info at the desk, but this time included our half board vouchers, the only problem we encounted here was when it came to the breakfast cards, as in what was left available, the earliest we could get was 7.45am for Monday and Tuesday and 7.15am for Wednesday, we had hoped for 7.00am for all three, never mind, we did actually learn something about beating these time's over the next few days.  :wink:

Right, once we got all that sorted it was off to our room [Building 32/Room 30] to dump the cases. Then guess what...yes, we headed straight to the Disney Park, though where we were situated it was easier crossing the 'Rio Grande' and getting the yellow park bus at the Hotel Cheyenne, by this time we where looking at having just over an hour, since the park closed at 9.00pm on a Sunday.  We headed for the famous Disney Park entrance, which looked wonderful at night as ever, so I quickly took a photo of the entrance, THEN disaster struck... For some reason on a 4Gb SDHC memory card the frames stood at 1617 at 10MP, after I'd taken that single shot it dropped to 917, on checking the quality settings it read the same figure from 10MP to 0.3MP.  Worry began to set in, I took another one, then it went to 916 and so on.  I was concerned that the card was faulty, I had tried it at home, but to be honest I never really looked at the counter for some reason, I had another card with me, but it was from my old camera which only had enough to take about 206 photos at 10MP, since it was just a 512MB XD Card which I tended to use for my home merchandise shots. I was wondering whether to swap to that one for now, I made the decision to do that, but you know when you get something on your mind, you cannot concentrate. Anyway we headed through the...

.....towards Discoveryland, at the same time thinking I'm not going to have enough camera memory for this whole trip, which to me was disastrous.  We decided to head like a lot of people for...

Yes, Buzz, which we got straight on no problem. After Buzz, and a lot of frantic card formatting and re-checking, I looked at the time and it was about 8.45pm, so we decided to head up Main Street looking through a few of the boutiques, just to get an idea of what sort of purchases we could be making later on.  :)

Moving out of the Disney Park we headed to the Village for something to eat, just seeing the entrance always inspires me for some reason.. :mrgreen:

Walking through looking to my right...

Then onto a place I've spent many a time having fun...  :D/

Oh and this place, a place I still haven't been in... :mrgreen:

Moving on down... :mrgreen:

Another place I've never been in... :mrgreen:

Or this one, you see I'm not really a night clubber or a bopper... :lol:  :mrgreen:

I've been in here, but not to eat... :mrgreen:

We thought we would move across to the other side passing...

and the...

Food had to be on the horizon, so using the first of our half board vouchers, we decided to try...

Yes 'Annette's Diner', which would be the first time we've actually eaten in there.  Just in case you're wondering why it's light, it's because this shot was taken at a later time on the trip since a night shot would have read 'nnette's' diner.. :shock:  The illumination in the letter 'A' had got off..  :lol:  :lol:  :mrgreen:

Anyway, we had to wait in a queue to get seated, but it wasn't too long.  After being seated and looking at the menu, we were a little confused at first of what we could get with the HB vouchers, but to cut a long story short and a little help from the CM, I ended up getting the 'Be Bop Burger', Vanessa got the 'Chicken Burger', both of them came with fries and Vanessa's had Coleslaw on aswell. Jen had 'Chicken Breast' with fries kids meal, all food washed down with 3 diet cokes. For dessert Vanessa and myself had 'Chocolate Brownies with Butter Scotch Ice Cream'.  Mmm yummy.  Sorry there are no photos here of the food.. :mrgreen:  I have to say that the quality and quantity of the food you got was first class, I'd recommend it to anyone going there, especially with the HB vouchers, no wonder we had to queue to get a seat, it was well worth it. We even had entertainment thrown in, seeing a few Cm's fall over on their roller-skates, though only one of them with a tray, luckily of empties.  :mrgreen:

Well we were all fit to burst by the time we had eaten everything put in front of us.  We eventually decided to get going and have a look into a few of the 'Village' shops, again to see what was available for future purchases.  I found a pack of four, 15 Year Celebration Pins with Lanyard on sale for €9.95, originally €19.90, so we got them for Jen just to start her off, she would have at least two she could trade with the other two to keep as she did not have them. More would sure follow.  Some of the shops by now were ready for closing, so it was a quick run around for the last few.  

Lovely centre piece... :wink:  :D

Time had beaten us now, so we headed back to the bus station to get back to the hotel to do the unpacking, at approximately 11.00pm.  Then it was off to sleep, well if that was possible, ready for the adventure of the next day. :D/

Day 2 to follow, which includes a very nice 'Pin Trader' and the meeting of Little Remy, as well as the start of the main photos. :D

peep

Nice start to your trip report Javey. The cab driver sounds like a laugh, 'road of Terror'. At least you got to the park without any problems.

Looking forward to the next instalment of your trip report :D
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Magicalmouse125

Great start Javey. great pics to. glad you had a good time. can't wait for day 2
[size=150]Long Live MagicForum![/size]

Love From Magical Mouse 125

burntsienna

My word Mr Javey Sir!
That is a stuuuupendous trip report!
So much detail! Makes me so jealous  :mrgreen:
I can't wait for day 2!!!
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

The Butlin Boy

Fantastic start Javey, I'm glad that every thing's gone well so far (maybe except for the car lights and camera, but it sounds like they didn't turn out too bad after all :wink: ), and that you've all had a great start to your trip. I'm looking forward to the rest :)

Pete's Dragon

From reading your report, I've just realised I've eaten in every DV restaurant. Never thought of it before. Hope you gave the buffet at Billy Bobs a go, although Anettes Diner does take some beating.

Cant wait for more photos and day 2 !!! Post soon Please [-o<

SophieD

Great start to your trip report!! I must say that looking at all your photos makes me want to go back :(

Can't wait to read day 2!!  :D  :D
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

Javey74

Thankyou for all your kind comments, I'm about three quarters of the way through 'Day 2', with the photo's to add.. :wink:  :D

Pete's Dragon @ Funnily enough I have eaten at Billy Bobs upstairs, not on this visit, but on a couple of previous visits. They sure do have a fab buffet up there.. :D/  :mrgreen:

Aveen2008

Hey Javey,

I have been so looking forward to your trip report and have been wondering how you were getting on!! :D

I have to say the trip from the airport sounds scary but hilarious!! :lol:  :lol:  
I am actually thinking of getting a taxi the next time but I was worried about prices!! Funnily enough though once on a trip from the Santa fe back to the airport a taxi man came over and also said he would take us to the airport for the same price as the bus and we did it too...works out great!

I love all your night time pictures- personally I wouldn't recommend Planet Hollywood so maybe its best you didnt go there! My Mum and I love Annettes we now go there at least once or twice on each trip and we sometimes get a take away from them in he evenings to take back to the hotel (we are so greedy lol) :oops:

Just reading about the problems with your camera sends panic through me, it is like one of my worst nightmares about being there and that happening!! I would be panicking too! :shock: I am hoping it worked out ok though!!

Can't wait for day 2!! :D/
p.s I reallyyyyy hope you met Donald too! :D  :wink:
Luv Aveen xoxo

ColdSun

what a great report and awesome pictures! I love all the details you describe and can't wait to read more :D !
The taxi thing sounds indeed a bit scary but also interesting. Next time I'm at DLRP I'll be in the city a couple of days beforehand so I'll just opt for the RER but if I ever happen to go by plabe again it's nice to know that this option can come up and be perfectly fine.
The pictures of the Village are lovely, I also feel very inspired whenseeing the entrance sign, it's a truly magical feeling...

never2old

Great start Javey!! I almost felt I was in that taxi with you all  :D

Looking forward to chapter 2...

Soap

Great prictures Javey! Love those night shots  :)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

dagobert

Hi Javey74,

great trip report so far. Can't wait for the rest. I like your night pictures, very well done, especially the one taken under the Railroad Station.

So I'm looking forward to the next days.

Anthony

Wow, that brought back memories.

I've never felt closer to death than when bombing along the A104 from CDG at over 90mph in the dark. :shock:

Never again!

Javey74

Thanks again for all the extra kind comments.. :D

Quote from: "Anthony"Wow, that brought back memories.

I've never felt closer to death than when bombing along the A104 from CDG at over 90mph in the dark. :shock:

Never again!
And here's me thinking it must be only me that gets into these scary situations.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :mrgreen:

It's starting to look like common practice.. :o