Hunchback of Notre Dame Musical

Started by Patrick, February 03, 2009, 12:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Tonight, I have been thinking about Hunchback of Notre Dame and that musical, "Der Glockner von Notre Dame" from Berlin.  I was thinking, well if perhaps, "Buffalo Bills" was starting to see a downturn in guests, then they could replace it with a Hunchback of Notre Dame musical.
Performed in similar ways to the old Berlin version, using the rather more mature storyline and characters, and dare I say it, keep Esmerlda dying at the end of the show.  Surely Bufallo Bills would be big enough to transform into a theatre, maybe even theme it to medieval Paris.  Some of the music from that show is too amazing to be lost to the Disney vault, and after all it would pack in the guests, and a production based around the city the resort is in :wink: .

Wikipedia Link

The Butlin Boy

Nice idea Pat, I for one wouldn't mind it if BBWWS was replaced by that :) Great idea =D>

Anthony

I'd much prefer this to the age-old idea of putting Disney on Ice in there.

Disney Village could use a proper theatre, it'd be good for business customers as well as hosting extra dates from West End and European touring productions. As long as they're more like Hunchback and less like Grease. :wink:

Elwell2009

Its a great idea with the amount of disney touring shows they have at the moment, i think it would be a great idea.

Captain Pan

Nice Idea Pat...

But...

Didn't Disney release it on Stage as a Musical on Broadway?

I'm Sure I saw something on the Disney Channel Years Ago about it being played at one of the Parks too? But I could be wrong (you know what I'm like! :oops: )

But I like the Idea... Thinking How about The Little Mermaid too...I want to see the successful broadway show!

Patrick

Quote from: "Captain Pan"Nice Idea Pat...

But...

Didn't Disney release it on Stage as a Musical on Broadway?

I'm Sure I saw something on the Disney Channel Years Ago about it being played at one of the Parks too? But I could be wrong (you know what I'm like! :oops: )

But I like the Idea... Thinking How about The Little Mermaid too...I want to see the successful broadway show!

No Disney only EVER performed it in Berlin, people have believed the reason may have been due to the story changes, as Esmerelda dies in the Berlin version :wink: .  Personally would rather have notre dame, not mermaid, that show should come to london, but that's a different topic :lol: .

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "Anthony"I'd much prefer this to the age-old idea of putting Disney on Ice in there.

Wow   :shock:  That would rock if they put Disney on Ice in there, maybe a show exclusive to Dlrp. Rather than one of the touring shows. I'm going to see "Mickey's Magic Show" Which is touring the UK starting from early March I think. It would be cool if they had a show similar in dv too.  :D/

Timbo

I would hate to see Disney on Ice ,instead of a proper show ! Don't think I would pay to see an Ice show,although the layout of BBWWS would suit it perfectly!
The Hunchback was performed at MGM Disney Studios in Florida,saw it several times it was a really good show,a great production with wonderful music! Some of the best music from a Disney film,and ideal for a theatre production,more so than some of the other films,although they are all fairly good,of course :D

pussinboots

I would love that! What a great idea, to have a Broadway/West End-style venue at Disney Village. I wonder why Disney hasn't thought of that for Walt Disney World...

As for Hunchback, it's tricky. The film has a dedicated cult following (the character of Clopin in particular for some reason), me included, and you're not the only one who's thought that it would make a great stage musical (and almost feels like one itself — "Out There" must be the most classically Broadway-style song in any Disney feature.) Unfortunately, the usual team of nervous suits isn't feeling it so far. Computer says no. But hey, as long as we're being hypothetical.

You might find this interesting: (Scroll down)
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... sical.aspx

experiment627

I had the chance to talk to someone from the "musical industry" a few weeks ago and has he told me, "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame" used to be an operational nightmare.
Its stage featured some very elaborate columns that - in theory - were able to rise and move. They never really worked. It was, apparently, quite common for the show to stop mid-way through because the machinery gave up.

This might be the main reason, why the show isn't running anymore - anywhere in the world...