A (new) Tower of Terror movie?

Started by Kristof, February 11, 2009, 03:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

From SciFi Wire:

QuoteOur horror-loving friends at Bloody-Disgusting are reporting that Disney's developing a new movie based on its "Tower of Terror" theme park ride at Disney's California Adventure and Disney World.

Citing anonymous sources, the site reports that the movie is being considered, but adds that rights issues are still being worked out. The ride—set in a mythical old-Hollywood hotel where something horrible happened decades ago—is themed to The Twilight Zone, to which Warner Brothers owns the rights.

But the ride—in which guests ride an elevator as it rises and plummets uncontrollably—seems like a natural for a movie, a ghost story flavored with old-Hollywood glamour.

Disney has had mixed success adapting its theme-park rides to films. There are the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, of course, but anyone remember Haunted Mansion?

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/disney-dev ... -movie.php

Patrick

Interesting, I hope it's better than the previous one :lol: , I doubt they have a problem they may have with 20,000 leagues, as noone even really knows they had an original film :lol:  :wink: .  Would love it if they actually used the Twilight Zone theme.

-breeno-

Sounds interesting.  Would love it to be Twilight Zone themed, ToT just needs to be TZ don't you think? :P  Would seem strange to have another ToT movie now Twilight Zone based, how hard would it be to get the rights from Warner Brothers?  If Disney could get the rights when making the attraction why can't they get them for the movie?  Unless Warner bought the rights recently?  I'm not sure :-k
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

MizzRabbit

Too bad they made Haunted Mansion into a comedy. They should have told the real story. I hoep that if they go on with the movie they'll at least stay true to the story and not make it into a comedy.

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

Luigi

I wouldn't mind some humour as in POTC, but little bit more horror and less comedy for a Tower of Horror would be great, even when i thought the haunted mansion wasn't so bad.

Anthony

The thing that made Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion bad (well, apart from their low budget and awful choice of Eddie Murphy respectively) was that they brought the real world into these worlds. They put the focus on modern everyday people and the world you see in the park just couldn't "live" properly. Pirates got it right by just showing the story of the world, but then ultimately got a bit too carried away with that mythology.

But if they made another film with a bigger budget, would they need the Twilight Zone in it, or can the story stand apart from that? And would Warner/CBS be game?

mehdi5

Quote from: "-breeno-"Sounds interesting.  Would love it to be Twilight Zone themed, ToT just needs to be TZ don't you think? :P  Would seem strange to have another ToT movie now Twilight Zone based, how hard would it be to get the rights from Warner Brothers?  If Disney could get the rights when making the attraction why can't they get them for the movie?  Unless Warner bought the rights recently?  I'm not sure :-k
Well Warner didn't own rights for a theme park ride, they simply held the movie/tv rights, but with a proper deal i think Disney and WB could settle an agreement for the rights. Glad they are choosing to go with the Twillight Zone theme, to me the original movie failed because they decided to go with a new story, even for a supernatural movie, the plot in the movie sometimes just was far-fetched and/or didn't make sense. The Twillight Zone version of the tower would make a perfect movie to me at least.

And about the Haunted Mansion, well i think it wasn't the real world theme thar destroyed it, rather the overkill of comedy, comedy is ok in The Haunted Mansion, but limited amounts, as the ride's story has less comedy and somes jokes in the movie just made it look cheap by a little bit.

Riebi

Quote from: "Anthony"The thing that made Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion bad (well, apart from their low budget and awful choice of Eddie Murphy respectively) was that they brought the real world into these worlds. They put the focus on modern everyday people and the world you see in the park just couldn't "live" properly. Pirates got it right by just showing the story of the world, but then ultimately got a bit too carried away with that mythology.

That´s it! Just think about a Phantom Manor Movie based on the old story of Phantom Manor: Happy Family Ravenwood, wedding-problem-thing, maybe leota as a dark scary fortuneteller, Melanie gets some "problems" with her jealously father, earthquake, father shoud be dead but isn´t, ghost story starts. Sounds far better then eddie murphy visit haunted mansion.
Same for Tower of Terror. Why not telling a magical story and not this fast production rubbish!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

JarethDrakul

Quote from: "MizzRabbit"Too bad they made Haunted Mansion into a comedy. They should have told the real story. I hoep that if they go on with the movie they'll at least stay true to the story and not make it into a comedy.
I remember reading a script that was meant for Haunted Mansion originally and it was really good (it was the first time I've ever managed to read a script on a computer and not give up reading it or get bored)...then I remembered how the finally actually was and I was like "oh :(".

I liked the original ToT film, though it nothing compared to the ride (I sort of imagine it as two different things...conufsing I know but it works for me haha). I think aslong they don't follow what they did with Haunted Mansion and add abit more of a horror thing to it (I mean like the ride, not pure out horror film haha) and abit better structured story than the original...a Tower of Terror film could be good. Aslong as they don't cast Eddie Murphy and this somehow managed to end up like Haunted Mansion I'm sure it'll be a good film :)