never2old's trip 24-26 January

Started by never2old, February 02, 2009, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never2old

Sorry it's taken some time, but first I was still too upset after leaving DLRP, then too busy at work (which, let's face it, is the best place for magicforum browsing...), then I was ill  :roll: !

So last weekend, we (we being my two friends Yolanda and Ainhoa, and myself) finally managed to go to DLRP together  :D/ . We had been trying to about a year, to find a date that worked for everyone, and when we saw the internet offer for a stay 25-26 January, we couldn't turn it down!! Even if Ainhoa, who normally has a bad back (so cannot do SM or RnRC), was just recovering from a ski injury in her knee  (so she had to take it easy), and Yolanda (who was dying to try all the thrill rides, on her only previous visit she hadn't been able to) found out a couple of weeks before that she was pregnant  =D> ... With all the delicate people in our party  :roll: , the Disneyland Hotel was the way to go (and at 40% discount, a great opportunity)

In order to make the most of our two days in DLRP, we decided to go to the Kyriad the night before. We left Saturday after lunch, and got to the hotel around 17:30, and quickly checked in (all wearing our lovely Minnie ears, of course  :wink: ), went to the room to leave the bags, and straight to the Disney Village. We just had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for the shuttle bus, great because it was rather chilly...

Ainhoa and Yolanda in the DV entrance:

We wanted to have dinner in Cafe Mickey, so we went there first. It wasn't even 19:00 yet but it was already quite busy. We got a table upstairs, and who was there to greet us?? The Mouse himself!!!

Perfect start to the evening!! It wasn't too busy upstairs, and the characters really spent time with everyone. It was great!! We saw the Sherif of Nottingham, Gideon, Goofy, Gepetto and Friar Tuck.

We had a great time!!

After dinner we did a bit of shopping around the Village, before heading back to the hotel for an early evening... Not that any of us slept much, we were all too excited  :shock: !!!

We had booked breakfast for 07:00, so we got up reaaaally early, and at 07:00 sharp we were at the restaurant. We were the first ones there....  The selection in the Kyriad is similar to the Santa Fe, bread rolls, croissants, cereal... Not bad. Unfortunately the coffee is just as bad  :? . Nevermind... one doesn't come to DLRP for it's coffee!!

A little before 08:00 we were back in the car, making our way (slowly, it was a bit icy) to the most beautiful, magical hotel ever... The Disneyland Hotel!!! Check in went quickly. The room wasn't ready, and they warned us that they were expecting many check-ins that day (I guess we were not the only ones taking advantage of the internet offer....). And we also saw that Inventions was closed - really annoying because we were planning on having dinner there. We decided to see about dinner later (big mistake of course  ](*,) ), and headed straight to the park!!

Yolanda and Ainhoa

Ainhoa and me

Next part coming up!

never2old

Because of Ainhoa's back, we decided to leave BTM and ToT for Monday (just in case she hurt herself...). So we started off with a few goes on Buzz, then Fantasyland. There were quite a few people around (already before 09:00), but not really any queues, so we could get a lot done

(this one I'm quite happy with, it's not as good as yours Clarebelle but it's definitely my best of this tapistry)

Once the park opened we started with Snow White (why is it never open during EMH???)

before heading to Adventureland for our first go on POTC. I love it... And since my last visit they seem to have adjusted the speed, or maybe there are less boats, but the trip was perfect!! No feeling rushed, and no traffic jam at the end  - there have been times where we were stopped already in the treasure scene!! It was great. The sword fight looked slightly better, if only because you don't hear the swords hitting each other so much - in all the times we did POTC I only heard them hit twice, and the two times the swords did look quite close to each other... But the pirates movements were a bit slow, so they still have some work to do...

After Pirates the sun was out (lovely winter day... cold but no too unpleasant, at least under plenty of layers of warm clothes), and we went towards Adventure Island and the Robinson's tree.

I really like Adventureland, it's so green so beautiful!!

Next part coming up

never2old

After Adventureland, we went back towards Main Street, and as we were approaching it Tous en Train started playing!! So we stayed to sing and dance along... Unfortunately we didn't manange to see it again. And since I will not be going back for a few months, this was my last Character Train.... ever.... unless it comes back. So very upsetting  :cry:

Anyway.... after seeing the train (for the last time, although we didn't know that yet), we walked downb Main Street towards the shareholders lounge, for a coffee and a croissant... and a bit of a rest.

In Salon Mickey

When we came out to DLP again, the Mary Poppins show was on - unfortunately we missed most of it...

We then decided to take the train, since the queue in the Main Street station was practically non-existent - quite surprising since by then it was around 12:00, I guess not all Sundays get really busy!!

It was beautiful, the sun was shining, the park looked beautiful... We saw that IASW had no queue, so we got off at Discoveryland, and headed back to Fantasyland. We walked straight into IASW, really no queue whatsoever! It was brilliant!! A few minutes later we headed to Le Pay des Contes de Fees, again no queue whatsoever, first time I see it like that. We tried to go on Casey Jr, but there was a bit of a queue there (maybe 10 minutes...) and we wanted to see Mickey's Winter Wonderland show at 13:30, so we decided to skip it and come back later or on Monday.

On the way to the Chaparral theatre we saw Frollo (who was running away and hiding from Esmeralda, so we coulnd't get our picture with him) and Esmeralda, who was lovely, when parents kept trying to push their kids in front of us she came towards us to take a picture  :D

Mickey's Winter Wonderland next!

burntsienna

Its so cool that you managed to find a date that was good for you all and such a good bargain!
I love the photographs! Really makes me miss Disneyland but its a good thing even though it sounds bad lol! basically just means they are making me jealous  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I can't wait to see the rest!!!
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

ColdSun

great report, looking forward to the rest! The picture of Friar Tuck is sooo cute! It seems like you had a wonderful trip!

The Butlin Boy

Great photos and report N2O, I can't wait for the rest :)

never2old

Thanks guys  :D ! It was a great trip, we really had a lot of fun!! It was great to feel (and act  :roll: ) like kids for a couple of days, very relaxing!! Great therapy  :wink: ....

Quote from: "ColdSun"great report, looking forward to the rest! The picture of Friar Tuck is sooo cute! It seems like you had a wonderful trip!

Friar Tuck was great, he came to our table, sat down and started banging the knife and fork against the table, waiting for his food to come!!  :D

Anway, off to the Chaparral theatre!!

We got there early enough to get a nice spot in the middle (I really wanted to get a good spot for filming, last time I had a column right in the middle). Again it was busy but not fully packed, a pleasant surprise... It's a really nice show. A bit Christmassy,  maybe, but then again it's winter.... We all really enjoyed it.

These were all taken with the video camera - love it that I can film and take pictures at the same time  :) ...

A couple specially for Javey

I love Chip & Dale...

And the most beautiful part - everyone goes aaaaawww!

On the way out, we went to see Jessie

and Bullseye of course (can anyone see Bullseye without remembering a certain picture....?  :wink: )

Before heading to Walt's, where we had booked our lunch

To be continued...

Aveen2008

Quote from: "never2old"On the way to the Chaparral theatre we saw Frollo (who was running away and hiding from Esmeralda, so we coulnd't get our picture with him) and Esmeralda, who was lovely, when parents kept trying to push their kids in front of us she came towards us to take a picture  :D

Mickey's Winter Wonderland next!

oh my god I cannot tell you how jealous I am!! I love Esmeralda and I have never seen her in the parks omg I officially dont like you heheh only joking!! :P  I am glad to see they still have her character there thanks so much for posting it!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D/  :D/
Luv Aveen xoxo

never2old

Quote from: "Aveen2008"oh my god I cannot tell you how jealous I am!! I love Esmeralda and I have never seen her in the parks omg I officially dont like you heheh only joking!! :P  I am glad to see they still have her character there thanks so much for posting it!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D/  :D/

First time I've ever seen her  :D !! It was a real surprise

The Butlin Boy

I love your MWW pictures, they came out really well, especially when you took them whilst filming with the same camera :P

Once again, I can't wait for the rest :mrgreen:

never2old

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"I love your MWW pictures, they came out really well, especially when you took them whilst filming with the same camera

I love that feature, it's really great!! The filming is not affected at all, and you can take as many pictures as you want!  I love my video camera....  :)

Next chapter coming up!

never2old

After a very yummy lunch in Walt's (we all had the salmon, very tasty, and the cheescake I had for dessert was pure bliss), we decided to go to the hotel. Also Yolanda was beginning to feel a little tired (and it was siesta time  :wink: ), so we figured we'd go for a little rest...

When we got to the hotel, the music was playing and the characters were coming down the stairs  :D ! It was the first time any of us had seen it, we loved it!! There were a few kids around (and a lot of parents). Mickey and friends danced their way down the stairs, then joined with all the kids for another dance. It was brilliant!

Unfortunately not many pictures,and none that are any good  :( , I was too busy enjoying it when I realised that I wasn't taking any pictures... So just took a couple of quick ones. Next time...

After that we got our room, lovely room in the first floor, with a direct view over one of the entrances (we could also just make out some of Main Street, and BTM in the distance). One more floor up and the view would have been great, but well, we weren't expecting any view at all so that was a pleasant surprise  :D ...

Unfortunately the show in the hotel had delayed us a bit, so the rest had to become a very quick rest, and we left almost inmidiately to get a spot for the parade! We headed for the start of the parade, by the Bella Notte and all that, which is really a great place to see the parade (plus you get the princesses stop). We got there 15 minutes before the start and there was still plenty of space.. Though it quickly filled up, particularly around IASW!

We had a lot of fun. I filmed part of the parade, while Ainhoa and Yolanda made a lot of noise and jumped up and down to get all the characters attentions (honestly... like kids!!)... There were some arguments on whether Donald or Baloo waved to one or the other, but the video evidence is clear, they were waving to me  :P

Alice's float was still missing (shame), but instead we had a lot of characters walking by. I was too busy waving to take any pictures (not sure there's any filming either, still need to check the footage), but Pocahontas and John Smith were there  :D , first time I've seen either of then, which was great. Though I foud it strange that neither Alice, the Queen of Hears, the Madhatter or any of the card soldiers where there...

Baloo waving to me:

Then the princesses came and stopped by us. Prince Philip came to shake our hands (very exciting, so exciting that I forgot to film or take any pictures, something my friends have been reminding me ever since!!!) But the prince was lovely, we all agreed we want to be princesses, particularly when the dancing started...

Poor Aurora kept losing her crown...

After the parade, we decided to have another go on Peter Pan (thank you DLH fastpass), the POTC (no queue there), before walking back to the hotel for a little break...

The idea was to leave Yolanda to have a rest, while Ainhoa and I tried the Studios and the ToT (we figured her back could take it). Unfortunately by the time we made it to the room her knee was really hurting (she was still recovering from a ski injury), and it looked a bit swollen... So we forgot about the Studios for the day, and just relaxed in the hotel. Around the hotel we saw Mickey (in the lounge by the restaurants), and Chip and Dale (Dale was running away from a little kid, then he took the shade from one of the lamps in the corridor and put it on his head, trying to hide... it was very funny!) Unfortunately I had made the mistake of leaving the camera in the room... But it was lovely. Mickey waved hello to us, so everyone's happy....

It was only at this point (must have been around 18:00) that we thought about booking the restaurant for dinner... Inventions was closed so we went for the California Grill - which of course was what everyone staying in the hotel had done, and it was fully booked  ](*,) Aaargh!!! But we weren't there to stress about anything, so we figured we'd see how we felt later, there was always the Village, or room service...

Next part coming up

never2old

After a little rest, we left the hotel to go to see the Candleabration.

I hadn't taken my video camera because I wanted to enjoy it without worrying about filming - unfortunately it also meant no good pictures of the show, because the video camera handles the low light much better than my photo camera...  But one cannot have pictures of everything, and sometimes it's just better to forget about it and simply have fun! Which is what we all did :)

The Candleabration was great. A  bit short, maybe, I really missed the show on the stage, but Mickey and Minnie were great, it was nice to see them in the balcony of the Castle. And then when all the Castle lits up, with those beautiful lights (or pixie dust, as a little kid next to me pointed out), it was magical. It doesn't get more beautiful than that.

Then of course all the characters came out from the Castle, we had Goofy, Baloo, Chip and Dale, the twins from Alice (I can't for the life of me remember their names now, someone please help!!!) and Tigger. They danced a bit then they came to greet the people, and played a bit. Baloo was dancing to the chants of "Baloo, Baloo, Baloo!!!" from some people. Dale was being naughty, first he took a blanket from a kid and run around with it, then he took a video camera from one of the guests and started filming himself and the others around him, with a CM running after him  :lol: So funny!!! At one point Tigger and one of the twins were rolling on the floor, on top of each other. It was great!! They really spent some time there, playing between them and with us. Great moment!! Not sure how much fun it was for those who where further back, but for those of us close enough to the action it was great!

Please excuse the quality of the pictures... it's just to give you an idea of what it was like!

Slightly better (not easy without a tripod...)

Ah, a good one at last!! (with a tripod this time....)

And on the way out, another first for me, we saw Mickey waving goodbye!!!

Wonderful end to the day...

By now we were all tired, Ainhoa's knee was quite painful (she couldn't bend it), so we decided room service was the way to go... So we called them, they came, set up the table and all, and we had a lovely, relaxing dinner...

Then Yolanda and I went to the Fantasia bar to get a drink (mojito for me, non-alcoholic cocktails for the others...) and took them back to the room, where Ainhoa was waiting with ther swollen knee...

We were all exhausted, so we didn't stay up for long... The beds in the Disney hotels are the best beds in the world, of course, so we all slept like babies...

Day 2 coming later!

ColdSun

Great pics once again, sorry about your friend's knee though :? . Looking forward to Day 2...

The Butlin Boy

Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee! :wink:

Another great report, it's a shame about your friends knee, but apart from that it sounds like a fantastic trip, I'm looking forward to the rest :)