A thought on on this years themeing

Started by ford prefect, January 30, 2009, 09:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford prefect

A thought has just occurred to me.

Everybody seems to be against the overt Mickey-ness, and the character based nature of the themeing.

However, it is the first time the resort has gone down this route, and it is to celebrate 80 years of Mickey.

Although that point doesn't come across because (perhaps understandably) Disney don't want to admit that their icon is 80 years old.

So, what we have is a sudden influx of colour and colourful characters, which by the nature of those characters (and also the merchandise that we fill our bags with) makes the resort look somewhat nursery like.

I think I might be feeling that the resort has gone back to really young childhood, rather than the "young at heart" approach that Disney has always had.

Perhaps all of us are (despite our protestations) not ready to go this far back in our [strike:5ym72xy6]adulthood[/strike:5ym72xy6] second childhood!

Perhaps (there's that word again!) I (we?) need to look to the nursery to understand this forthcoming theme rather than our prior experience at the resort.

Just a thought.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

smurfy74

i for one am really looking forward to the theming for this year and i know im not alone and i love the colourful nature of the things ive seen so far, but like you say maybe i can go further back into my childhood, hahaha

Anthony

I also think the very young, bright, colourful and modern themes are quite a clever step in thinking ahead to the 20th Anniversary. Sure, we've got 2010 and 2011 still to fill, but if they went with another classical, nostalgic celebration it wouldn't make the 20th as welcome as it probably will be. Disney shouldn't get too bogged down in nostalgia.

That said, what are we actually getting? Some lampposts, a couple of shows, a redecorated train, maybe some tat on the Castle. It'll be very easy to avoid. And it's not like they're replacing Fantillusion for Light Magic, which is Disney's classic "let's be hip and modern" effort.

The biggest disappointment for me so far is that the visuals and logos released are so much nicer (and more modern!) than what we've seen from the parks (except the Central Plaza fences). I almost feel the marketing teams should design the entertainment...