Disney D23 Magazine & Fan Club

Started by roaldbergmann, January 06, 2009, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLP-Photos.com

This is awesome I have to say. I'm sorry that it is so america orientated, but at least we get to be members. I will buy myself a membership in next week, because I am getting almost $300 back in taxes, so it is great.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Captain Pan

I want it so badly!
I want it so badly... I'm going to get it in April!
 :P  :mrgreen:
I'm going to be a charter member... And I f I don't I might just cry!  :cry:

I'm Just Crazy!

casschr05

Looks like they enjoyed teasing us!
Quote"Are you 23?" They may be just two small words and a number, but to Disney fans that came across the D23 teaser campaign in the early days of 2009, they were the Disney equivalent of the Da Vinci Code! And all of us on the D23 team have to admit that watching Disney fans theorize, speculate and state with definitive authority about the meaning of our D23 teaser campaign proved to be a heck of a lot of fun!

Agent Lex

Quote from: "forza_united"This is awesome I have to say. I'm sorry that it is so america orientated, but at least we get to be members.
Indeed! According to the Ts&Cs, far as I can tell all you need is internet access.

Unfortunately, I'm a little tight on funds at the moment, what with my looming trip to DLRP. I'll see if I can scrape enough together to join, though.

ETA: At the moment, the $74.99 membership costs £54.10 for us in the UK, and €58.71 for those on the continent.

Agent Lex

Double post to say: oh, look, some pins we expected. And one we didn't.

Also, I've come to the realisation that spending over £50 on membership is a silly idea. If the magazine's content is available for free online, then spending that money to essentially get the chance to buy a couple pins and go cheaper to an event I can't attend in Anaheim... doesn't seem worth it.

Anthony

Quote from: "Agent Lex"Also, I've come to the realisation that spending over £50 on membership is a silly idea.
I was almost willing to go for it, being a sucker for collector magazines and things like this, but then I finally get through to the last checkout page to find that postage to the UK alone is $57.95!!

If a fan-operated organisation like Laughing Place can send me their brilliant magazine for -- I've forgotten, about $40 a year? -- why do Disney think they can charge $132 ?!

Agent Lex

Quote from: "Anthony"I was almost willing to go for it, being a sucker for collector magazines and things like this, but then I finally get through to the last checkout page to find that postage to the UK alone is $57.95!!
SERIOUSLY!?

And they advertise it as free for D23 membership! Nothing in the short conditions for the free shipping excludes international shipping.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "Agent Lex"Also, I've come to the realisation that spending over £50 on membership is a silly idea.
I was almost willing to go for it, being a sucker for collector magazines and things like this, but then I finally get through to the last checkout page to find that postage to the UK alone is $57.95!!

If a fan-operated organisation like Laughing Place can send me their brilliant magazine for -- I've forgotten, about $40 a year? -- why do Disney think they can charge $132 ?!

HOW MUCH.... I read that all P&P on Membership documents would be $0... but then that could be USA only...

Now I am gutted... Might just have my waistcoat professionally done instead for that price...

peep

Is it really that much for it to be sent? That seems a bit off. Once again Disney fails to support the European fans.

I might read the terms and conditions again tomorrow as I swear it said that it was free for even peeps outside the US.

It does make you wonder if this membership is worth it. A certificate and a magazine (which it seems you have to pay silly amounts for) and invitations to events which European members probably can't attend anyways.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Luigi

it's really expensive for Europe, i still might consider it. It's really tempting, but have to think about it.

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "Agent Lex"
Quote from: "Anthony"I was almost willing to go for it, being a sucker for collector magazines and things like this, but then I finally get through to the last checkout page to find that postage to the UK alone is $57.95!!
SERIOUSLY!?

And they advertise it as free for D23 membership! Nothing in the short conditions for the free shipping excludes international shipping.

It clearly states in the first line of the pop-up details on the free shipping that this applies to U.S. addresses.

So, I've sent out an email to find out how much shipping to The Netherlands would be. Kinda worried about the amount now, now I've heard the amount for Britain...

I would really like a membership though. ;) The magazine itself will not be sent internationally...
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"I would really like a membership though. ;) The magazine itself will not be sent internationally...

So basically those across Europe would be Spending upards of £70 for a Certificate and card...

Is there any point to it for us anymore...

I still want one... but I want it as the Yanks are getting it... Its called Discrimination if we don't, Americans would call a class action suit for less than that!

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "Captain Pan"
Quote from: "DisneyAlba"I would really like a membership though. ;) The magazine itself will not be sent internationally...

So basically those across Europe would be Spending upards of £70 for a Certificate and card...

Sorry, no, I think you may have misunderstood me. As far as I can see, a membership, including the magazine, can be sent internationally. However, it's is not possible for us to buy the magazine separately (i.e., for sixteen dollar an issue, apart from the membership), since the website states they will not send that internationally.

I'm pretty sure they won't let us pay that amount of money for a membership without actually sending the magazine. ;)

It does mean that a membership would be the only way for us non-Americans to get our hands on the magazine, since we can't get it sent over separately.
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Agent Lex

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"However, it's is not possible for us to buy the magazine separately (i.e., for sixteen dollar an issue, apart from the membership), since the website states they will not send that internationally.
Not that it matters, since the magazine's entire contents are online for free.

I for one am not paying the price, plus that ridiculous shipping fee, for basically a magazine I can see for free, a membership card and certificate, and the chance to buy overpriced merchandise (no doubt also with huge shipping fees). I personally think this is a bit of a farce on Disney's part, not only with this shipping charge but also with the fact that a club like this has opened in this economic climate. Apart from the truly dedicated, who would probably buy Walt's poop if it was on offer, or those with cash to burn anyway, how many people are going to buy the exclusive stuff?

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "Agent Lex"
Quote from: "DisneyAlba"However, it's is not possible for us to buy the magazine separately (i.e., for sixteen dollar an issue, apart from the membership), since the website states they will not send that internationally.
Not that it matters, since the magazine's entire contents are online for free.

Err... No. Some content is available online, such as the cooking recipe, but basically all other articles are not available online. Just a summary, teasers as it were.

The website is extra content.

I do agree with you though, that the shipping costs are a farce. I would not buy expensive collectibles either, especially considering shipping and import duties as well. However, if I could get my hands on that magazine, I would be a happy camper indeed.