Another person injured in Walt Disney World

Started by Patrick, February 17, 2006, 04:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Is it me or does it seem rather odd all these incidents happening in Walt Disney World,

QuoteA 70-year-old man was injured Tuesday evening when he was pinned under a ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, authorities said.

The man, who was not immediately identified, was getting on Peter Pan's Flight in Fantasyland with his wife and granddaughter about 6:40 p.m. Tuesday.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the man fell off a conveyor belt that carries the guests alongside small pirate ships so they can board the ride. He apparently fell into the path of the next vehicle on the conveyor belt and was pinned, authorities said.

A Disney spokeswoman said a worker immediately stopped the ride.

The man was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center by helicopter. His injuries were initially considered to be life-threatening. Later, doctors determined he wasn't critically injured.

The Sheriff's Office began investigating the incident but backed off when it was determined the man's injuries were not life-threatening.

A Disney spokeswoman said the Peter Pan ride was shut down for the rest of the evening Tuesday.

"There is no indication of a ride malfunction, and we anticipate the ride will be open [today]," Disney spokeswoman Lissette Campos said.

Walt Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said the incident will be reported to the Florida Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection. It is unclear whether the state will investigate.

In July, Disney asked the state to check out Disney-MGM Studios' Tower of Terror ride when a teen from England, Leanne Deacon, 16, collapsed and was hospitalized with bleeding in the brain after riding the simulated elevator attraction. The ride was found to be operating normally.

In the past year, there have been several other accidents with injuries and death at Disney parks.

In June, Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Pennsylvania collapsed on Epcot's Mission: Space ride and later died. Inspections showed no signs of ride malfunction.

In August, Jerra Kirby, 12, died after passing out at the wave pool at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon. Investigators later determined she had a medical condition.

In February 2004, Javier Cruz, 38, a costumed Disney worker, died when he was pinned beneath a float during a Magic Kingdom parade.

News article from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... home-promo

Dlrpfan

How many incidents  like this does disney have to deal with? They have too stop this problem before the disney company gets a  reputation for incidents.
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Masamune

O_o; In a place where there's thousands upon thousands of visitors a day and probably millions every year, you would think there would be more accidents like the ones listed...I don't think Disney can ever get a bad reputation because of these incidents, as the staff probably reacted to them in the best possible way...

Dlrpfan

I think i was bieng a bit harsh that day
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012