HKDL | Toy Story Land, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point

Started by Kristof, November 20, 2008, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

There's talk about adding three new lands to Hong Kong Disneyland:

Quote from: VarietyHONG KONG - Talks are underway to significantly expand the struggling Hong Kong Disneyland theme park. But a timetable and financing are unclear.

According to the South China Morning Post the Hong Kong government and Disney are now discussing addition of three new themed 'lands' at a cost of some HK$5 billion ($645 million).

A spokesman for Hong Kong Disney Resorts, holding company for Hong Kong Disneyland, declined to comment, saying that these were "negotiations between two private shareholders."

Expansion talks come at a pivotal moment. The Hong Kong government, which owns a 57% majority of the park, is not keen to invest more in the park which has failed to meet attendance targets since its September 2005 opening. But the threat of economic slowdown has made the authorities keener to help job-creating, infrastructure projects.

The park, which opened in September 2005, has been repeatedly criticized as too small and lacking in some of the staple attractions of Disney theme parks elsewhere, notably 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'Haunted House.' Park's main segments currently consist of 'Fantasyland,' 'Tomorrowland,' 'Adventureland' and 'Main Street USA.'

In an attempt to boost attendance, the park has been relying on lower cost, parade style attractions that leverage popular Disney properties such as "High School Musical."

Park's poor performance meant that Disney Corp. provided $423 million of loans to replace a similar amount of commercial debt that was due to expire.

Sources: Screamscape / Variety

Willow

The park needs major expansion or they haven't got a chance at increasing attendances. It just looks too small to make a journey to, especially for tourists who would rather travel further to visit Tokyo Disney Resort.

I've been hearing rumours for a while about a Tiki themed Haunted Mansion which if given the go ahead would be very exciting.

The expansion could easily have a smiliar (if not greater) effect that Space Mountain did for Paris.

Kristof

Makes you also wonder which three lands they're adding?

Frontierland and Mickey's Toon Town seem to be obvious, but the third?

Luigi

Quote from: "Kristof"Frontierland and Mickey's Toon Town seem to be obvious, but the third?

maybe something like Disney studios in DLRP

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Kristof"Makes you also wonder which three lands they're adding?

Other than a Copy of WDW's Liberty Square there is nothing I can imagine... Maybe it could be like Luigi said

Quote from: "Luigi"maybe something like Disney studios in DLRP

It would be a possibility as long as the park doesn't wish to open a Studios in years to come... And Maybe it could be just one Specific Area of the Traditional Studios Layout...

Right Now however My Mind is blank!

Its something that we can maybe envisage in the Workshop... Just like Pixar Land!

It can only bring good things to the Park I would think... Yet At the current economic climate maybe not the brightest idea in the world!

Owain

Quote from: "Kristof"Makes you also wonder which three lands they're adding?

Critter Country and New Orleans Square, those thinking about the additional lands in DLR.

Anthony

New Orleans Square would probably fit well in the park with Frontierland and ToonTown, yeah. Although... what attractions would it have? Just Haunted Mansion?  On the other hand, a Hollywoodland would be very nice, but I can't imagine where they'd fit it into the park's structure.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a more modern Toon land (maybe not Mickey's Toontown) alongside a Frontierland and a kind of Pirate sub-land of Adventureland... if you see what I mean. The rumours of this new version of POTC with an outside drop and so on make it sound like this will be equivalent to a small land on its own.

Or... it could be something more along the lines of Toy Storyland or Carsland?

HKDLfan

The HK Gov had banned the Pirateland plan :cry:

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "HKDLfan"The HK Gov had banned the Pirateland plan :cry:

How come? Seems a bit odd to me :-k

experiment627

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"
Quote from: "HKDLfan"The HK Gov had banned the Pirateland plan :cry:

How come? Seems a bit odd to me :-k

I heard they were a bit worried about the Pirates' image. (I suppose not so much the Johnny Depp-kind of pirate and more the "lets buccaneer a supertanker"-kind  :wink: )

The Butlin Boy

Source: http://english.rednet.cn/c/2008/12/23/1670030.htm

QuoteHK Disneyland to invest HK$4b in expansion
23-12-2008

Hong Kong Disneyland CEO Kam Min-ho said on Dec 22 the company will invest HK$4 billion in expanding its park. Details of the expansion plan are expected to be released next year after discussion with the Hong Kong government. The expansion work is expected to be finished within two or three years.

As planned, the new facilities will comprise three theme zones with an area of about one third the size of the existing park. Some of the new attractions in the proposed extension will be exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland, said Bill Ernest, president of Asia Region, Disney Theme Park and Resorts Business Unit.

Sounds promising :mrgreen: Happy Christmas HKDL :wink:  :P

Anthony

Exchange rates say that's about $500m or €370m!  Merry merry Christmas indeed, Hong Kong Disneyland!

It's interesting they say some of the additions will be unique too. We're always going on about clones being a bad thing, but usually in talking about 2nd, 3rd and 4th gates. Even in a Disney fan view, the 1st gate "needs" a certain set of attractions, so it's brave for WDI to move away from that for the first time...

HKDLfan

News in HK said that the investment will be HKD 3.6 billion

mickeysimzac

3 new lands would be great, but adding a 2nd park would be even better.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "mickeysimzac"3 new lands would be great, but adding a 2nd park would be even better.

No, they need to improve and enlarge the first park, and increase their attendance levels before they even begin to think about a second park :)