General Studios Enhancements

Started by Kristof, February 02, 2006, 01:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Yeah, the Chinese Theatre building looked nice indeed.  But I'm not so sure about the actual movie ride.  Maybe the Villains ride that was supposed to replace the Great Movie Ride a few years ago.

Anthony

They probably won't be able to afford such an impressive showbuilding as the Chinese Theatre right away, so if Walt Disney Studios does get a central boulevard... what do you think they'll really put at the end?  They might need something temporary until the centrepiece attraction is built... could we possibly see an improved version of the DCA Hollywood Pictures backdrop?  It's just a thought that popped into my head before...  :?

Another option would be some kind of different street set element, [sarcasm] or maybe even a Sorcerer's hat!!! [/sarcasm]  :lol:

Or I suppose a new Tram Tour station could be built there... hmmm

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"could we possibly see an improved version of the DCA Hollywood Pictures backdrop?

Iew. No, thanks. That thing looks awful if you ask me.  :roll:

QuoteOr I suppose a new Tram Tour station could be built there... hmmm

I would love to see the same entrance for our Studio Tram Tour as the one in the Disney-MGM Studios (or at least something similar). Below I have added a picture of that particular entrance. Hopefully they will rename Studio Tram Tour to Backlot Tram Tour one day. I have always felt it made more sense in Backlot theme wise. Even if they wouldn't make a streetset, they can at least build an entrance at the beginning of the Reign of Fire Set/exit Moteurs.. Action!/Cafe des Cascadeurs.  :)

Source: http://www.westcoaster.net

Kristof

Quotecould we possibly see an improved version of the DCA Hollywood Pictures backdrop

That sounds good to me!!!  I've only seen photos of it, but it looks a lot better than the aged stuff at Disney-MGM.  (Although the new San Francisco backdrop looks great).

But I was wondering this: what do you prefer?  A Hollywood Boulevard-style street, or Streetsets?

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Iew. No, thanks. That thing looks awful if you ask me.  :roll:
I know it's not the best piece of Imagineering ever, but i'm trying to think realistically.  I guess the unfortunate thing is that however exciting they are, these rumoured WDS improvements probably won't be very lavish, they probably won't be *that* expensive, so I think some kind of backdrop like this might be a good temporary solution (quick fix) to the problem of what to put at the end of the boulevard (because I highly doubt they'd put the Tram Tour station there).

And like I said - it could be an "improved" version.  I don't know how they could improve it, but maybe by simply having it as part of a larger area of street sets, that'd improve it on its own?  I also think a daytime backdrop like this would be cool against the night-time backdrop at the top end of Disney Studio 1 - it just seems to make sense.

In fact, I could almost imagine the whole layout of DCA's backlot being used, but with the two paths on the left leading to a tram tour station and the one on the right leading to more street sets...

Here's a DCA map: //http://www.intercotwest.com/common/imgs/resortGuide/dcaMapLarge.jpg, for the layout of the backlot.  Just imagine Sunshine Plaza being the new WDS "hub", with ToT about where Soarin' is, the Stunt Show to the left of the DCA entrance and Studio 1 where the pools of the Grand Californian hotel are.  The new tram tour entrance could be where Monsters Inc is... :?

Quote from: "raptor1982"But I was wondering this: what do you prefer?  A Hollywood Boulevard-style street, or Streetsets?
Well, a real Hollywood Boulevard would cost a lot to construct... but a street set could feel quite cheap.  How about a mixture of both?  A bit like that photo of the MGM tram tour station Maarten posted - the facades are all fake movie sets, but then some could have real, functional buildings behind them.  Like shops, cafés or maybe attractions/exhibitions...  Some of the facades could have nothing behind them too, making them a bit cheaper!  Of course, I suppose this would mean that if they ever did need something there - they could simply add on a real building behind it.. maybe.  (i'm no construction expert! lol)

So I'd have to say a bit of both.  It would be nice to make it clear that the sets are indeed sets too - like how you can see the steel supports of the MGM tram tour facade.

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"
Quote from: "Maarten"Iew. No, thanks. That thing looks awful if you ask me.  :roll:
I know it's not the best piece of Imagineering ever, but i'm trying to think realistically.  I guess the unfortunate thing is that however exciting they are, these rumoured WDS improvements probably won't be very lavish, they probably won't be *that* expensive, so I think some kind of backdrop like this might be a good temporary solution (quick fix) to the problem of what to put at the end of the boulevard (because I highly doubt they'd put the Tram Tour station there).

And like I said - it could be an "improved" version.  I don't know how they could improve it, but maybe by simply having it as part of a larger area of street sets, that'd improve it on its own?  I also think a daytime backdrop like this would be cool against the night-time backdrop at the top end of Disney Studio 1 - it just seems to make sense.

Remember that the backdrop in DCA is a painted wall of the huge Hyperion Theater overthere. Unless we will get a building behind it, I dont think we will see it in our Studios. Imagine a huge wall with a tiny little building (or perhaps even nothing) behind it. Now that would be really stupid in real life I think...  :D

The reason why I don't like it is because the Hollywood Pictures Backlot backdrop remembers me of the on-the-cheap menatality from the creators behind the park. Just like the pictures of Paradise Pier (Maliboomer, Mullholland Madness etc.), it just screams "cheap" to me. I just don't want our Studios to get that image too. The park already suffers from that very same image. Another reason I dont like it is because it looks to static in my opinion. WDS already lacks movement. On the other hand, would a streetset not be static too?  :wink:

Nikkibelle18

It's all looking great! :D

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Remember that the backdrop in DCA is a painted wall of the huge Hyperion Theater overthere. Unless we will get a building behind it, I dont think we will see it in our Studios. Imagine a huge wall with a tiny little building (or perhaps even nothing) behind it. Now that would be really stupid in real life I think...  :D
But if they designed it well, then you wouldn't be able to tell that there's nothing behind it.  A massive flat backdrop is a perfect prop for a "real, working movie studio" like WDS.  It's very honest and slightly unmagical... which would work well for the park.  MGM have street sets with big backgrounds at the end, and they look pretty good.  Remember, they have practically zero budget.  I'm confident that if we did happen to get something like the DCA backdrop, then they'd work it into the park well and make it more impressive and less cheap.

Quote from: "Maarten"Another reason I dont like it is because it looks to static in my opinion. WDS already lacks movement. On the other hand, would a streetset not be static too?  :wink:
Not if they used trees, props, characters, music, etc.  Main Street is, in reality, just a street set, and it's full of life!  They can add details, lights, loads of things.  In fact, a street set would have more life than say a Chinese Theatre or Sleeping Beauty Castle!  And with the backdrop, I guess they could animate that in some way too.  In the DCA one, they have a light shining up from behind the hill at night (so it looks like sunset), and in the Studio 1 backdrop they have the searchlights.

I know the idea of a big backdrop in the middle of WDS isn't really a very fun one, but it just seems like it could be a very possible solution to the "park centrepiece" problem they'll have in a few years.  :?

Anthony

Kristof

Grandmath reports on DCP that a huge fountain will be put in place where the current Studio Tram Tour station is.   :D

flor

I'm wondering what would be the theme of it? Already known?
And during winter it will be without water like Fantasia Fountain. And a special costume? ;-)

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"Grandmath reports on DCP that a huge fountain will be put in place where the current Studio Tram Tour station is.   :D
It's funny how all those rumours from 2002 keep coming back...  I suppose some concepts don't change afterall.

I hope the fountain is designed like the Fantasia Fountain, with little details around it to create more of an "area".  Oh, and having plants around it to stop people climbing in is a good idea too...

Maarten

I found some news about the new Monsters Inc. photolocation in the Animation Courtyard. In my opinion the concept looks quite good so far, now I am getting curious how it will end up in real life.  :wink:

"Some fresh news, hot from the DLRP Imagineering labs! I've got the lowdown on the new Monsters Inc. photolocation that's being built in the Animation Courtyard at the moment. The centrepiece will be Boo's door, which will sit in the middle of a section of the factory floor. This will be surrounded by the cannisters containing the screams that power Monstropolis. The good news is, these will be interactive! Guests will be able to scream into them, and see the gauges rise and fall. The door will also be surrounded by static "props" of the Child Detection Agency agents, and Rosie, the secretary. No word yet as to whether these will be 2D or 3D props. Of course, "live" characters will put in regular appearances as well."

Source: "Soundtracker" at //http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21334

Anthony

Thanks for the info!  :D

I like the sound of this being "interactive".  The problem with the current photo locations is that they're not very good when the characters aren't there.  The Finding Nemo one in particular, since it never has any live characters, is a bit dull.

I'm not too sure if I like the idea of kids screaming their lungs out at the entrance to Animation Courtyard though... is that what Walt would have wanted??!  :lol:

Latest photo:

Did you spot anything going on behind there, raptor/flor?  :)

Kristof

There were some plastic pipes with wires coming out of the ground, but that's it.  :)