Disney Cruise coming to Marseille, France!!!

Started by Kristof, January 22, 2006, 12:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

How could I've missed this article on Disneytheque?  :shock:

Posted on December 9, 2005.

It had been rumoured for quite some time, but it has been confirmed during the TOP Cruise convention.  The Disney Magic is coming to Marseille and will feature 8 stops along its route.

Oh, and guess during what year............... 2007.....  :wink:

Anthony

Could the 15th Anniversary BE any better??!!!  WOW!  :o  :D

And of course, it's very easy to get to Marseille from Marne-la-Valléw isn't it?  I think the frequent TGV from Lille Europe to Toulon via the resort stops there...  They'll be able to get some really cool holiday packages out of this, I can see it being a really major success.

Message to Disney: don't build more Disneylands, build more Disney Cruise ships!  :wink:

Kristof

Well, Disney has now confirmed the trip to Europe!
No word of DLRP in the article...  :?

Quote from: "www.mickeynews.com"For the first time, Disney Cruise Line is adding European flair to its itinerary offerings, repositioning the Disney Magic for the summer of 2007 to the Port of Barcelona in Spain and offering alternating 10-night and 11-night Mediterranean cruise vacations to Europe.
"Our guests have told us they would love to take a European vacation, but all of the planning and logistics can be daunting. These special sailings will offer a hassle-free way to experience the beauty and culture of Europe combined with the fun of a Disney cruise," said Disney Cruise Line President Tom McAlpin at an announcement event at Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort this morning.

With eight European ports of call, which provide gateways to familiar cities such as Florence, Rome, Pisa and Cannes, these new Mediterranean itineraries present the family vacation of a lifetime.

"The flexibility and mobility of Disney Cruise Line allow us to offer guests a new way to explore other parts of the world while enjoying a world-class cruise experience," said Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "Disney Cruise Line is a model for the way we are expanding our family vacation business worldwide by offering new experiences the whole family can enjoy."

The four 11-night itineraries depart on Saturdays: May 26, June 16, July 7 and July 28; while the four 10-night itineraries depart on Wednesdays: June 6, June 27, July 18 and Aug. 8. Both itineraries will depart from Barcelona for the summer.

In addition to the Mediterranean cruises, two 14-night trans-Atlantic sailings bookend the 10- and 11-night adventures with the eastbound itinerary departing from Port Canaveral, Fla., May 12, and the westbound starting from the Port of Barcelona, Aug. 18.

Bookings for these special and very limited itineraries are scheduled to open on April 4, giving interested guests time to plan with their families and friends. Starting rates for the Mediterranean 10- and 11-night itineraries range from $2,399 to $3,499 and are based on double occupancy.

Guests interested in booking a Mediterranean cruise to Europe with Disney Cruise Line should call (888)-DCL-2500, visit http://www.disneycruise.com or contact their travel agent.

Disney Cruise Line specifically designed its ships with areas and activities that appeal to the unique vacation needs of every member of the family. As a result, its vacations offer guests an unbelievable cruise experience not found anywhere else.

The ship features nearly an entire deck that is dedicated just to kids where they can enjoy fun, supervised activities designed for especially for different age groups. Additionally, an experienced staff cares for infants and toddlers at Flounder's Reef Nursery, allowing parents the opportunity to explore ports of call or adult areas on the ship, such as a special pool, the spa, a nighttime entertainment district and a romantic dining experience.

The Walt Disney Theatre provides a magnificent showplace of state-of-the-art sound, lighting, staging and set design. The curtain is lifted after the sun drops and original Disney musicals, family-friendly variety acts and first-run films entertain all ages.

While sailing on a Disney cruise, guests also get to enjoy three different themed restaurants through the voyage. Guests travel from the casual elegance of Lumiere's to the colorful, island-inspired Parrot Cay and Animator's Palate, where Disney animation springs to life throughout their meal. Along the way, they enjoy the familiarity of having the same wait staff with them at each restaurant they visit. Adults may also opt to dine at Palo, an exquisite restaurant featuring sweeping views and northern Italian cuisine.

The 877 family-friendly staterooms aboard each Disney ship were designed to offer maximum comfort. Most feature an industry first – a bath-and-a-half with two separate areas; one offering a shower and sink, the other a sink and toilet.

Patrick

Well that sounds interesting, seems like they have got quite a nice itinerary lined up, but that confuses me too as to why they didn't mention Disneyland Resort Paris once, maybe it's too far away from any of the ports where it will be departing from :? .  Also they seem to try to attract Americans more than Europeans and maybe they don't like the fact the best Magic Kingdom isn't in America :lol: .  Though seems like a nice cruise, though I don't think I could afford that price.

Anthony

Well, it seems pretty obvious that this is all aimed at an American audience, which is a real shame.  I would have thought they'd have used this opportunity to "spread the word" about Disney Cruise - introduce it to Europeans.  But no, they can't be bothered... shame.

The first rumours said the ship would be sailing from Marseille, not Barcelona.  You can get the TGV quite easily direct from DLRP to Marseille... they could have made some awesome package deals out of this.

It just seems like one massive missed opportunity.  Maybe they'll try again when they get the new ship(s)?

luke

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"Though seems like a nice cruise, though I don't think I could afford that price.

To be fair, its not THAT expensive, for a 10 night cruise of the Med, that equates at what, about £1200, which is pretty standard cruise prices really.

That said, its still probably too expensive for me too, ah well, I get sea sick anywho

Patrick

I would rather spend £1200 on some time in DLR myself anyway :wink: , get better entertainment and also would get to step in a place where Walt built.  Though again such a shame they have not tried to aim this at us the Europeans it could work so well having DLRP and Cruise Line packages oh well :( .

experiment627

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"Though again such a shame they have not tried to aim this at us the Europeans it could work so well having DLRP and Cruise Line packages oh well :( .

Question: why should they? Introducing such a new product to European audiences seems to be a bit expensive... So why not aim it at the American market? (Plus: Concerning cruises, the development in Europe is still a good decade behind the US ... so taking a family on a cruise might be quite a new idea here - the current market is either high-end or club cruises...)

BUT: having a Disney cruise ship down in the Mediterranean might show up in quite a number of European newspapers - which *could* tie in nicely with the 15th. (I smell a *huge* marketing stunt...)

Dlrpfan

Im real confused y they didnt mention dlrp. i meen its the 15th aniv and it should draw in more money 2 book as a excersion
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

The reason is that the cruise line and DLRP are two sepparate companies.

Although I'm sure that they will mention on the Cruiseline that DLRP can be reached by a 2 hour TGV trip.

flor

a new press release aimed to Europeans is on his way.
This week Disney Cruise Line has given a go to release a new press release.

Kristof

Thank you Flor.  I'm not sure anymore what I'm allowed to tell and what not since you're doing your internship.  :lol:

Anyway, here's a map of the Mediterranen Route.

More photos of the announcement in Epcot at Laughing Place:
http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-202-1.asp

experiment627

Quote from: "flor"a new press release aimed to Europeans is on his way.
This week Disney Cruise Line has given a go to release a new press release.

Then I'm *really* curious how they're going to sell this cruise. I honestly think that this cruise will be much more popular with American tourists than with Europeans.

The cruise market here just works totally different from the U.S. ...