First time since 45 years: The "real" AODA at Munich

Started by Riebi, September 15, 2008, 11:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riebi

The Müncher Stadtmuseum (City museum munich) is a lucky one. During the Promotion of Sleepy Beauty Walt Disney himself has created two excebitions showing the Art of Disney Animation. The excebition was there to show how the Walt Disney Studios makes one of their great classics. Including paintings from mainly Walt Disneys masterpiece: Sleeping Beauty but also others like from Snowwhite, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, Cinderella, Peter Pan and Lady and the Tramp.

One of the two excebition traveled to asia and the other trough europe. Walt Disney gave the excebition to the last station museum as a present. The last destination in Europe was the Münchner Stadtmuseum (1963). The one he gave to asia doesn´t excist anymore. The Walt Disney Company bought it back and let it go to their archives.

Now after 45 years the Müncher Stadtmuseum shows again the art of Walt Disney and the wonderful concepts and paintings of Eyvind Earle. The excebition runs from 12. September 2008 till 15. Feb 2009. Over 150 exhibits are waiting just for us!

The website of the Münchner Stadtmuseum for more informations:

//http://www.stadtmuseum-online.de/

The Walt Disney - the munich collection website:

//http://www.stadtmuseum-online.de/aktuell/disney.html

Both just in german but if you are interesting I´ll play the translater for you. Just sent me a PM :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Are there TWO Walt Disney exhibitions in Munich at the moment??

One in the "Hypo Kunsthalle"...
http://www.hypo-kunsthalle.de/newweb/disney.html

...and another one at the "Stadtmuseum".
http://www.stadtmuseum-online.de/aktuell/disney.html

We are going to see the one in the Kunsthalle.

experiment627

Quote from: "dagobert"Are there TWO Walt Disney exhibitions in Munich at the moment??

One in the "Hypo Kunsthalle"...
http://www.hypo-kunsthalle.de/newweb/disney.html

...and another one at the "Stadtmuseum".
http://www.stadtmuseum-online.de/aktuell/disney.html

We are going to see the one in the Kunsthalle.

Yes, the one at the Stadtmuseum is "accompanying" the one at Kunsthalle.

When are you planning on going?

dagobert

I think we are going in the middle of october. Has anyone seen both exhibitions? Which one is better?

experiment627

Quote from: "dagobert"I think we are going in the middle of october. Has anyone seen both exhibitions? Which one is better?

I've only been to the one at the Kunsthalle - while it was presented in Paris.

I suppose you could do both in one day. Don't plan more than two to three hours for the exhibit at the Kunsthalle.

Though, of course, the city is quite attractive if you don't want to spend all day in museums.  :)

dagobert

Okay thanks for your answer. I think we are going to the one in the Kunsthalle. We are not going to spend the whole time in museums. :D
I have been several times to Munich, it's not far away from Salzburg. I'm sure that we have to go to the Hofbräuhaus and maybe to the Hard Rock Cafe.

experiment627

Quote from: "dagobert"I have been several times to Munich, it's not far away from Salzburg. I'm sure that we have to go to the Hofbräuhaus and maybe to the Hard Rock Cafe.

Getting a bit off-topic here (sorry! ;-)), but I'd recommend some other traditional beer halls than the Hofbräuhaus. I personally prefer the Augustiner in the Neuhauser Straße (near Karlsplatz / Stachus). A stroll over the Viktualienmarkt is also always fun (at least for me! :-)).

And if the weather shouldn't be too good and you don't mind visiting yet another museum, I would recommend either the Neue Pinakothek or the Pinakothek der Moderne. Both excellent.

dagobert

This weekend (Friday - Sunday) we have been to Munich and visited the Walt Disney Exhibition at the Hypo Kunsthalle in Munich. I really recommend it. So if you are in Munich you have to see it.

We have also been to the accompanying exhibition in the Stadtmuseum. It was also nice, but very small.

Off topic:
We had dinner at the Augustiner Bräu, great as always and very good beer :D .

experiment627

Quote from: "dagobert"Off topic:
We had dinner at the Augustiner Bräu, great as always and very good beer :D .

Glad to hear... I'm going there tonight.  :wink:

(And on-topic again: I'll probably visit the exhibit at the Kunsthalle this weekend...)

Riebi

Hoping for a trip report  :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Okay, I will write a small trip report on the weekend. Unfortunately it was not allowed to take pictures in the museum.

dagobert

Munich 10. – 12. October 2008

Last weekend my girlfriend Claudia, her parents and I have been to Munich to see the ,,Walt Disney Exhibition" at the "Hypo Kunsthalle".

Friday afternoon we drove from Salzburg to Munich and after a one hour drive we checked in at the Motel One. This is a very nice hotel and we can really recommend it, because it is a new hotel, it is clean and quiet. So if you are in Munich stay there.

After checking in we went to the inner city for dinner. We have chosen the Augustiner Bräu, an original German Beer Restaurant. Very good meals and very good beer of course. It was not my first time there and it was nice as always. After a great dinner and some beers we went back to the hotel.

On Saturday we did some shopping and enjoyed the sunny weather.

On Sunday it was time for the museum. The exhibition is called "Walt Disney's Wonderful World and its Roots in European Culture".

Here is a summary of the exhibition. It's from the museum's brochure, but I have shortend the summary:

This fascinating, multimedia exhibition offers surprising new insights in the imagery of master storyteller Walt Disney. Everyone knows the classics of animated movies such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", "Fantasia" or "The Jungle Book". Still, only few people realize how these movies are deeply rooted in European art and literature of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

When Disney travelled through Europe in 1935, he acquired many illustrated books, ranging from fairy tales to classics of literature and art history.

Disney engaged the best artists, many of them European immigrants who combined their extensive knowledge of European art  with the influences of their new home.

The short movie "Destino", which is a collaboration between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali, marks the end of the exhibition.

This exhibition was first shown in Paris and Montreal. After Munich it can be seen in Helsinki.

We really enjoyed this exhibition and spent nearly two hours in the museum. There you will see many paintings and illustrations of the animated movies. These drawings are compared with paintings, illustartions and drawings from European artists. It is really interesting, although Disney's main reason for making movies was to entertain people.

Unfortunately it was not allowed to take pictures.

Afterwards we walked to the "Stadtmuseum München" where they are showing a small accompanying exhibition to the one in the "Kunsthalle". It is mainly about "Sleeping Beauty". There you can see original paintings and drawings from Sleeping Beauty and some other Disney movies. The best thing was that it was for free. I think it is free every Sunday, but I'm not sure.

We spent the rest of the day in the Olympia Park and in the evening we drove back to Salzburg and had a very good dinner at Burger King.

If someone is interested in the hotel, here is a link:
http://www.motelone.de

The links of the museums are already posted at the beginning of the thread.