European Disneyland, Where would you put it ?

Started by Owain, August 28, 2008, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Im not stealing PetesDragon's topic :P. His is about his own irish disneyland. I just wondered if during 1987 ? (Was that when they considered places for DL?) Where would you put the resort and why ? What are the advantages or maybe the disadvantages too ?

penfold12

Spain, as they nearly did!

Better weather, and a culture that is more inatley driven toward guest service.....

reasons why not? The winds. This was a factor in not going there in the first place. there was a concern that certain attractions/parades would be halted due to wind.....

On looking at the map, Paris appears ideal as it is central to Europe, and therefore a really big catchment area. Transpose this to the USA, and is ideal. That is if you assume that each country in Europe is like a state in America.......

Thats the big problem. When it opened, the French did not have the most hospitable image across Europe. Like wise, Disney and America was hated by the French!

I always see it as a very arrogant mistake by Disney, that they, in my opinion assumed that they could overcome years of cultural tension, just because they were Disney.

To this day, although I love DLRP, just imagine if it had been located in Spain, within a suitable distance to the coast. just imagine duel holidays, just like WDW used to be when it was smaller. A week in Disney, a week near the sea.

Im sure the resort would be in a healthy position than it is now....

Owain

To be honest i asked the question but i dont no where id want it. Id want it to be like the american parks with english speaking so i no what c.m are saying :P
But id want the nice sunny weather.

I think spain i guess would be my closest option

burntsienna

I'd say England because of the convenience but then I love the fact that DLRP is in Paris cause I love the French language...so maybe Italy!
Cause I'd love to visit Italy and if there's a Disney park there, then that's just another reason to go.
"I could be the Alice to your Wonderland"

lil-shawn

so as in my opinion i think germany would be the best,
as i know germany was on position 3.

i think all the rides were in english, that everyone can understand not like in
dirty france, the german work is popular, and the country is one of the most visit
in europe.
At the time when disney opend the added value tax was not high in germany, that
means the food, the drinks, the holiday on the disney property were not as expansive
as at the same time in france.
the visitors dont have to pay toll like in france, so a lil pit more cheaper.
the proplem was the government from germany called "Die Gruenen" (the greens).

But spain would be fine too, but i have to say the most visit place in spain is mallorca and
not the spanish continent. the next problem is the language too, who knows if they didn´t do the same like the france do? the most in spanish and a lil bit in english..

but i think the resort were healthier in both countrys as in france....

experiment627

Quote from: "lil-shawn"At the time when disney opend the added value tax was not high in germany, that means the food, the drinks, the holiday on the disney property were not as expansive as at the same time in france.

Wrong. Theme park tickets, for example, enjoy a reduced TVA rate in France - while German parks have to add the full 19% to their ticket prices.
(A fact that German parks have been complaining about for years...)

Quotethe proplem was the government from germany called "Die Gruenen" (the greens).

Uhm?? .. What has the Green party to do with Disney's decision not to build a park in Germany???? It wasn't before 1985 that the Green party joined the government of a federal state - and not before 1998 that they joined the federal government. Disney's search for a European location was pretty much over by '85 / '86. (Was the letter of intent with the French government signed in '85 or '86?)

Germany might have been attractive at first glance due to its households' income. But the fact that to this day the rate of Germans vacationing in their own country is still quite low compared to the other major European nations (ESPECIALLY France) and that back in those days Europe pretty much ended a few kilometres east of Hannover, Germany was never a serious option. (Add to that a very un-centralised political structure that makes any large project a pain for the developer...)

All in all, Disney has picked pretty much the best spot on the continent to build their European resort... In terms of climate, transportation, local wealth, population base and pretty much everything else.

Clarebelle

theres a nice big field behind my house, I think that would be a good place, and maybe I could get a job there  :wink:
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Kristof

Quote from: "lil-shawn"dirty france

Mind your language please.  We have visitors from France here as well.  [-X

lil-shawn

QuoteMind your language please. We have visitors from France here as well.

i´m sorry, i don´t wanna diss the french people, just for me the country is not that clean
that i familiar with. thats what i want to say.....

QuoteWrong. Theme park tickets, for example, enjoy a reduced TVA rate in France - while German parks have to add the full 19% to their ticket prices.
(A fact that German parks have been complaining about for years...)

u didn´t understand, france had always high value tax...
i know that we have to pay the tax in germany for the tickets, but in 1992 it was not 19%!!!!!

experiment627

Quote from: "lil-shawn"u didn´t understand, france had always high value tax...
i know that we have to pay the tax in germany for the tickets, but in 1992 it was not 19%!!!!!

The VAT in Germany from 1983 to 1992 was at a rate of 14%, while France - that's true - had a VAT of 18.6%.
However, the reduced rate in France was 5.5%. In short, theme park tickets were more profitable in France back in the late 80's and early 90's than in Germany.

daisylovesdisney

Quote from: "Clarebelle"theres a nice big field behind my house, I think that would be a good place, and maybe I could get a job there  :wink:

lol i have a nice park near my hose, i so loved for disney to come here. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but seriusly now, i don't whant to sound spoiled ore snobby, but i thins france is the best place in europe! i love to hear the langues ( even as i don't speak ore understand it ) it is close to every european county ( wel at least in thet time! :P ), and they had to think into the future! i mean lets face it europe is big, but has not much GOOD and available land! everything is sceduald in  for years of advensed and still we have to take way the green around us to bild more houses!

maby finacially spain would heve been a better thing especcially for a the tourist they have in the summer, and larg families who go there! but still i don't think disney had made the wrong call. and maby who knows the french will start to like the americans  :P  :P

Anthony

I'm afraid they picked the best spot by a long stretch, so I've got no ideas. It's really the only viable place.

We hear this "They should have built it in Spain!" thing all the time, but what'd be the point in that?! Most of us wouldn't dream of driving there (especially not with petrol prices now) and there's no rail link from Northwest Europe, so we'd all have to fly. Well, why not just save up a bit more and go to Florida in that case?

The way the cost of flights is going, Disneyland Resort Madrid/Barcelona/etc would probably have closed long, long ago by now already. It'd be too isolated in that corner of Europe for anyone to bother.  I also think the French location brings a LOT to the DLRP experience, and challenged the Imagineers to come up with a park so incredibly beautiful to match the city next door. A Spanish Disneyland sounds like an incredibly boring alternative.

Only other place I can think that would work is somewhere near where they're building the 2012 Olympic park around Stratford, ie. between London and the continent on the high speed rail link and the new Crossrail line. You'd get easy transport from the continent or the rest of the UK and an even bigger in-built tourist base than Paris has.

swity

I wouldn't go for Spain either to be honest because I know I wouldn't go there because I'm afraid of flying. I think Paris is good, of course I wouldn't mind if it would have been in Germany but Paris is the only other option.

simbrawr

Quote from: "lil-shawn"But spain would be fine too, but i have to say the most visit place in spain is mallorca and
not the spanish continent. the next problem is the language too, who knows if they didn´t do the same like the france do? the most in spanish and a lil bit in english..

this stood out for me as when i read it i found myself thinking that if the resort was built at a nice location in spain its revenue and tourist popularity would sky rocket! they expected large interest in the park and would expect large amounts of revenue for it. However paris is still probably the best option due to its accesisibility (if i spelt that right)

Pete's Dragon

My back garden  :D/