ABC Gives "Peter Pan" a TV-PG Rating?!

Started by AmericanMouse, July 28, 2008, 01:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanMouse

From the "You Still Can't Trust Someone Somewhere, Even If You Just Happen To Own Them" Department:

Saturday (July 26), the American Broadcasting Company, owned by The Walt Disney Company, aired the 1953 animated classic Peter Pan, the 14th film from the venerable Disney canon of Animation.  Nothing unusual there, even with Raven-Synome helping out to promote the new Tinker Bell direct-to-DVD movie as a major reason why.

But, some numbskull in ABC's "Standards and Practices department" (the censors as they are better known) decided to give this G-rated in movie theatres classic a rating of TV-PG.  Why?  There was gunplay (an unseen shot), smoking and a bomb going off.  Additionally, there was a subrating of "D" for "suggestive dialog" (the whole Peter-Wendy-Tinker Bell thing.) Cryogenically Frozen Walt (not true according to those who know) was doing a half-gainer with a two-and-a-half twist into a jacknife on that, and Michael Eisner was laughing his rear end off someplace.

If I were in charge of Disney, first off, the guy who made that decision would out on his backside looking for a new job tomorrow.  I would then declare all classic Disney films shall be rated TV-G in the United States. Now because this film was made five and a half decades before Disney adopted a straight-forward ban on smoking (animated or otherwise), this would be exempt from the whole nonsense of shenanigans and blarney.

Any objections from the peanut gallery?

MinniesBestPal

Yes! Walt Disney was NOT frozen! Thank you for pointing that out!

WHAT? THEY GAVE PETER PAN A PG? WHATS NEXT 101 DALMATIANS? THATS AN OUTRAGE!

AmericanMouse

That was ABC - which is owned by Disney, mind you - that gave the movie a TV-PG in the United States.

Here's a item from Wikipedia that would describe the explaining to do:

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_content_rating_systems#United_States

Pete's Dragon

So would Cinderella get a higher rating cause if features imprisonment, mental torture, and a blatant disregard for animal welfare? The whole's gone mad. :?

AmericanMouse

Yeah, even I don't get that.