Cinemagique

Started by Japper, July 09, 2008, 10:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Japper

Hello everybody..

You know Cinemagique.. one of the best attractions of dlrp (according to fans).. but can't this attraction have a big upgrade to make it even better?! Now theirs just nothing outside the theater. We must think of something to extend the experience!

So let's imagineer :D

~ Theme it to a classic movie theater with outside the rumored placemaking. Let's give the building a real nice entrance AND exit! Just some nice corridors that leads you to the front of the building instead of the outside walkways! Once the outside doors open the sunlight come's into the building and the atmosphere is ruined! Why don't keep the guests in the mood for a little while?

~ ....

so tell me your ideas!!!!!!

Anthony

Oooh Japper, where to begin? :mrgreen:

* The most obvious improvement would be to enclose the waiting area with a wall, rip up the tarmac ground and put in a proper floor with plush carpet and mood lighting. Make it like the ultimate movie theatre lobby, the kind you just don't see anymore with all our identical multiplexes.

* Put in a fake giant staircase in the middle of the back wall, leading to nowhere, just an illusion, a little like the PM staircase. But it'll add depth and excitement to the waiting area. At the moment you can see the show once and know the location of every wall and every door. There's no intrigue of "I wonder what's through there?"... the boiler room in ToT is a great example of this, where they turned a dull rectangle room into a real maze through all the pipes and decorations. You feel lost in there, even if you're a fan who watched those exact four walls grow up from the ground.

They could even keep the new posters in place, since they already light up. And most of all - carpet on the walls!! That's a real old-fashioned cinema thing. The extravagant ceilings also seem to be a big feature.

Technically this shouldn't be too hard. The canopy is a bit similar to the one that used to be outside Le Visionarium, and they built a wall around that and enclosed it easily for the Buzz queue (where his animatronic sits used to be outside).

Another major improvement: run a proper queue line through there, one on each side of the room. Have it like the queue that goes through the ToT lobby, doubling-back across with little scenes in each corner. That way, people enter the theatre fair and don't push.

* Give the attraction a proper area loop for the queue. Maybe let the old Ciné Classics Band record a few movie tunes themselves, and then tinker with it to make it sound distant and slightly muffled, as if it's coming from within the theatre, like some old pre-show entertainment. The loop should build to a crescendo as the doors open.

* Do something about the trees in front of the attraction. Depending where you stand, it seems a little lost behind them, and the path doesn't naturally lead you toward the entrance. Rather than buying 50 more segways and making the CMs look really desperate and hate their jobs, rip up the tarmac and place a bright red tarmac "carpet" there, maybe that bouncy stuff they use for playgrounds (I'm thinking a real carpet would be too much hassle for DLRP, though it would be preferable). Cover it with a marquee leading right into the entrance, helping to keep it dark inside and making it feel like you're attending the premiere of a movie.

* Inside the theatre, you can currently see the entire roof structure really easily. Again, give that old-fashioned effect with some dark red fabrics draped around the roof to cover up the beams.

* Japper you already said this one, but some kind of canopy or porch outside the two exit doors is a must. It's a disappointment to step straight outside, especially into those two dull areas that don't feel like you should be there.  I'm not sure if there's space considering they still use these paths for parades, but some kind of small post-show a little like that old Stars on the Set exhibition would be great. A bit of a buffer between the magic inside and stepping out into the real world again. It's really jarring to watch that 30-minute film and then step straight outside again. You need a little bridge there.

* Improve George. This is a weird one, but I'm sure better technology exists than what they use for George's phone ring and his first conversation. This way, he could sit anywhere he likes in the theatre and mix it up a bit. If you're sitting nearby (or even if you're not) it's sometimes not that convincing when his phone goes.  For the actors who play him -- don't overdo it! The wild hand gestures aren't natural, and sometimes the jump onto the stage seems weird, so the joke is spoiled too quickly. The "Security!" CM also needs to sound a bit more shocked, maybe try to pull him down. They need to imagine if someone really jumped on the stage at that moment.

But you know it's still in my top 5 at DLRP, just on the film alone. Imagine if they did all this as well. :shock:

Would like to hear more ideas too. :)

Japper

Wow! Great ideas :)

~ What about some small spotlights for the nights.. like studio 1 has , but then only visible in the park itself..

~ What about a gift shop at one exit with nice moviegifts from the classics ! (and the new ones). And then I don't mean another cuddle toy shop or a princess/pirate shop.. but just somekind of movieshop.

~ What about an announcement 5/7 minutes before the show in the Theatre District Area that in 5 minutes the grand opening of the latest hitmovie Cinemagique is played.

~ Does somebody know the game "The Movies"? What about some sort of radiostation that they have in the background , why don't they play that in the waiting area?

Anthony

Yes, yes, yes and yes. :mrgreen:

A giftshop would be great. I'd imagine entertainment would argue to keep both routes either side of the the theatre open for their use, but really they should close the one on the right (when/if Soarin is built it'll overlap anyway) and add something there. But then the problem would be that guests leaving by the left wouldn't go through the shop.

Searchlights are a good idea. One thing that's really needed now is some kind of lighting on those new giant letters they installed. At night it's just dark. Either some bright LEDs behind them to illuminate them as a silhouette or some spotlights shining from a lighting rig nearby.

The announcement idea I LOVE! Why can they do this just when a character arrives on the Toon Studio plaza and not here? Instead they put CMs on segways and holding wooden signs... weird. A big fanfare is needed.

You know, they need to go back and watch the ToT grand opening and see the kind of buzz and excitement that was created there and try to get that for every showing of CinéMagique. It needs something on the outside that works like the clock of IASW, but happens just before the start of each show.

Maybe some bright strobe lights like flashbulbs, and a "live" radio station (KWDS) reporting on the arrival of guests at the premiere. It could be like Roz at the end of DCA's Monsters Inc, a living character thing, describing the guests as they walk into the waiting area along our red carpet canopy. Not in a mean or jokey way, but making them sound like glamorous movie stars when really they're dressed up in thick winter coats. Surely wouldn't ask too much to add just one more cast member to this show of Cast = 1. Heck, they could even train up the George actors to do it, more exciting than just stepping through a screen every half hour. Then he sits down and the doors open.

You'd want to walk inside just to see what was said about you. Eg, for raptor1982: "And here he is, the Disney God! He knows every word to the film but he's back to see it again after seeing the previews 500 times!"

Edit: Just one more thing. The CM who introduces each show is a bit nondescript. Who is she/he in the story? Since the CinéFolies stars are (apparently......) being re-cast to other jobs, why not have the introduction done by the DIRECTOR of the film you're meant to be seeing. He/she could come on-stage and briefly discuss how they think it's their best work yet, it's a moving assortment of classic films arranged and edited in such a fabulous way... they're so fabulous, etc. etc. Then, when George's phone rings, the director freaks out (his work is ruined!) and chases him onstage.

Although, whereas at the moment the intro is very warm and welcoming, this could turn guests off -- they might want to hate the film because the "director" is so up himself. "If it 'aint broke" for that one I suppose. :wink:

Pete's Dragon

As much as I love Cinemagique, I would love if they redid it and added a few more recent films : Narnia, some Pixar, LOTR etc. And, at the end of the show, have some fake trailer parodies, something similar to what Billy Crystal does when he hosts the Oscars. I wonder if Martin Short is still available ?

The Butlin Boy

Some really great ideas have been posted here, well done guys, I'd love to see them all :D

penfold12

Wow! See this is what Disney is all about, all you guys are suggesting is the themeing of the attraction build etc, and what a difference it would make! Giving the attarction the status it requires, and at not too much cost!! This really would take a great attarction and elevate it to the next level!

Maarten

Great ideas! I particuarly like the KWDS announcement idea, especially since the voiceover of The Movies really captures the mood of Hollywood in its Golden Age very well. I also agree with Anthony on the script of the castmember before the show starts, and ofcourse the idea that the current queue area under the canopy should become a lobby.

Quote from: "Japper"~ What about a gift shop at one exit with nice moviegifts from the classics ! (and the new ones). And then I don't mean another cuddle toy shop or a princess/pirate shop.. but just somekind of movieshop.

However, I am not too fond of this idea. Just imagine the crowds getting out of the theatre at the end of the show. I don't even want to think about 1100 guests pushing through a shop at the exit.

I was thinking, why not build a proper exit? I mean, when the current exit doors open you're immediately thrown back in the park, without any post-show experience. Why not one use the proposed lobby for guests leaving the theatre aswell? Just leave the building through the same route you've entered it. Some modicifactions at the entrance have to be made however so that those 1100 guests don't have to go through the turnstiles one by one. That way your properly leave the building and you're back at Place des Stars. When everyone has left, the lobby can be used as a queue for the next show again.

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"I was thinking, why not build a proper exit? I mean, when the current exit doors open you're immediately thrown back in the park, without any post-show experience. Why not one use the proposed lobby for guests leaving the theatre aswell? Just leave the building through the same route you've entered it. Some modicifactions at the entrance have to be made however so that those 1100 guests don't have to go through the turnstiles one by one. That way your properly leave the building and you're back at Place des Stars. When everyone has left, the lobby can be used as a queue for the next show again.
That's a great idea. I'm guessing the reason they never did that from the start is because sometimes people are already queueing for the next show when you leave. They'd maybe have to extend the lobby outwards slightly and have two separate doors either side, so that you didn't walk into people entering.

It would make a BIG difference exiting back into the courtyard and not into those horrible backstage areas. They could also then bring the parade door between Studio 1 and 2 right up to the front of the CinéMagique building, which would really help make the courtyard feel more enclosed.

MinniesBestPal

Lots of old movie posters, and things! Maybe even posters for the different rides in the parks, just making them look like movies? Or advertising parades and things!

And they could have a really decorative lobby! Or you walk in on a red carpet like a premier of a movie or something?

SophieD

i think there should be some hollywood stars outside Cinemagique like the hollywood walk of fame....but it would be the Disney walk of fame??

posters would be great too...especially some of the really old ones. paintings of real movie stars would be good-like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn.....or have a walkround before you get to the exit.....celebrating Hollywood...the stars...the moviemakers.....

but like Pete's Dragon it would be nice if they could re-edit it and include some new up to date films.....
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

Maarten

Quote from: "Anthony"That's a great idea. I'm guessing the reason they never did that from the start is because sometimes people are already queueing for the next show when you leave. They'd maybe have to extend the lobby outwards slightly and have two separate doors either side, so that you didn't walk into people entering.

I see what you mean. At first I was thinking about having two lobby's. The right side under the current canopy could be the entrance lobby and the left side could become the exit lobby. However, when the shows is over, that would mean that all the 1100 guests in the theatre would be directed through one hallway leading to the left side of the current canopy (as seen from Place des Stars). That would be a logitsic problem aswell, thats why I opted for one lobby so both hallways could be used to exit the crowd. Your idea sounds like an effective solution.

Anthony

I've put a few of the ideas we've talked about onto an aerial photo:

Is that about right? Changing the trees and floor outside so that you're drawn into the theatre would be more effective than those stupid segways. And the new re-routing of the exit path through the same doors you entered and then leaving each side could actually be implemented tomorrow with just a few new railings. The same could be done to Animagique, where the exit paths along each side of the building are even more disgusting.

If you didn't want waiting guests to see others leaving the theatre (because, if this is a "premiere", why would there be people already leaving?), then make that railing a wall and the rope/automatic gate into a second set of automatic doors.

I've also added proper queue lines inside the waiting area. If Stitch Live can have them, why not here? It'd make the area seem less dead and be fairer for guests. And of course, if they enclosed the whole thing and somehow carpeted it, they could add the Phantom Manor-esque starcase with a few false doors at the top.

The empty areas either side could be used for props from the film, or those real CinéMagique costumes hidden away in the window of the Costuming workshop on Studio Tram Tour.

penfold12

You know hoe taking an off the shelf coaster and themeing it, turns it into a true Disnet attraction, well this little addition really would turn a great attraction into something really speacial, and at the same time develop all the parks themeing!!

No if only you could get the imagineers to sse this, i mean, its such a benifit for a small expenditure.......

TowMater

Refurbish it to add more scenery, Change the building to the Chinese Theatre and do a Disney version of the Great Movie Ride.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century