Sleeping Beauty on DVD & Blu-Ray

Started by Snow_White_Girl, May 23, 2008, 01:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow_White_Girl

Well, this was one of my favourite films as a child, so I was so happy when I found out it was coming to DVD (as my VHS is getting slightly worn out! :wink: )... BUT I've just found this trailer on Youtube, and nearly cried! What on earth have they done to the voices?!?! It's not the film I remember without the original voices!! :(

[youtube:1xo3vreg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkiBzyANGM[/youtube:1xo3vreg]

\":lamp:\"

mehdi5

That's propably only for the trailer, the original soundtrack with voices can be remastered but they couldn't re-record it for the trailer because most of the cast of the movie has either retired or died.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Snow_White_Girl"Well, this was one of my favourite films as a child, so I was so happy when I found out it was coming to DVD (as my VHS is getting slightly worn out! :wink: )... BUT I've just found this trailer on Youtube, and nearly cried! What on earth have they done to the voices?!?! It's not the film I remember without the original voices!! :(
[youtube:2xa3abnr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkiBzyANGM[/youtube:2xa3abnr]

Not only is it coming to Disney DVD, but those with a blu ray player can experience the magic in enhanced High Definition as Sleeping Beauty will be Disney's FIRST Classic to make the jump.

Also what i've read on Wikipedia...
Pinnochio will be the second Blu Ray Classic to be released... (But that's the 'American' Platinum Edition)//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Platinum_Editions

Yet Special Editions Read Aladdin on a Two Disc Set for the 'British Release' in 2008/09

But back to the topic... Wasn't Sleeping Beauty already re-released, Wikipedia claims January 13th 2003. //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Special_Editions

never2old

Quote from: "Captain Pan"But back to the topic... Wasn't Sleeping Beauty already re-released, Wikipedia claims January 13th 2003. //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Special_Editions

It must have been, because I have it! Beautiful box, pinkish purple colour, digitally remastered and all that. That was a Special Edition, the one coming out now is a Platinum Edition for the 50th anniversary (not sure what the difference will be though)

Of course, if by then I have convinced my husband that it's time we invested in a blu ray player (getting there  [-o< ), it will be the perfect excuse to buy the bluray edition!!

Captain Pan

Quote from: "never2old"
Quote from: "Captain Pan"But back to the topic... Wasn't Sleeping Beauty already re-released, Wikipedia claims January 13th 2003. //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Special_Editions

It must have been, because I have it! Beautiful box, pinkish purple colour, digitally remastered and all that. That was a Special Edition, the one coming out now is a Platinum Edition for the 50th anniversary (not sure what the difference will be though)

Of course, if by then I have convinced my husband that it's time we invested in a blu ray player (getting there  [-o< ), it will be the perfect excuse to buy the bluray edition!!

Would suggest you invest in a PS3, its got double function then... DIsney in High Definition for you... Games for him... Nothing better than playing the PotC 3 game then following it up with the movie itself!

I think the blu ray version will have 7.1 sound (Don't have the foggiest idea what that means though). Saying that though... I've had a look at the Blu Ray Movies I got... and Wild Hogs, PotC 2 & 3, Enchanted, Pixar Shorts, Ratatouille and Cars only go up to 5.1... But the blu ray versions do have the advantage that it is (Except PotC) all on one disc.

never2old

Ah but you see we're not much into videogames... We have the Wii because that's a lot of fun, but we wouldn't use much the PS3 for playing... Also it looks huge!

And the 7.1 is quite important for my husband (we all have our obsessions... that's one of his). Not sure it makes much difference in a living room, all I know is that you have 7 speakers (as opposed to 5 with a 5.1 system), but don't ask me where they go. To the sides maybe? No idea. But to get 7.1 sound you need a 7.1 home cinema

Sleeping Beauty must look really nice in HD though...

Captain Pan

Can anyone tell I try and sell PS3s on a daily basis?

Anyone know if the Adverts on the Disney Blu Ray movies are in HD themselves? Cause if so Sleeping Beauty is looking Beautiful.

mehdi5

For a Blu-Ray player i would have to suggest the PS3. It has regular updates and is the best Blu-Ray player on the market. I think this movie will look good on Blu-Ray, i think all Disney movies would look good except two, 101 Dalmations and the Aristocats, i don't know how the pictures of those movies would be in HD.
Quote from: "Captain Pan"Can anyone tell I try and sell PS3s on a daily basis?

Anyone know if the Adverts on the Disney Blu Ray movies are in HD themselves? Cause if so Sleeping Beauty is looking Beautiful.
All the trailers are in HD just like the movies themselves.

peep

^As mehdi5 says, the PS3 has regular updates, what he hasn't said is that other blu-ray players do NOT update themselves making them useless after a couple of years whereas the PS3 can keep updating so you can watch the latest blu-ray releases in the best quality with all the features in tact (they are already warning about this via the covers of the discs).

I for one am looking forward to this release as I never got the chance to get it when it was first released on DVD.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

goofy-2000

I have sleeping beaty on video so i am going to get it on DVD
i want every single goofy in the whole wide world ha ha ha

Clarebelle

I had it on DVD the first time round and it was stunning even then!

We have decided that when Wall-E is released on blu-ray, then were gonna make the jump too  :lol:  (me and my boyfriend are sooooo excited about this film!!!!)

But were gonna have to get a Blu-ray player and not the PS3 bacause CowenJ is against playstation (we have a 360, wii and ds, I was thinking to complete the collection but he's having none of it :-( ) but the ps3 was a con and is crap in comparison to the 360 so I can see his point.

Only problem, I'n not allowed to buy any disney dvd's until then :-(
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Anthony

Quote from: "Clarebelle"Only problem, I'n not allowed to buy any disney dvd's until then :-(
I know that feeling. I sort of feel "what's the point?" now, when I know I'll probably end up buying a Blu-ray player of some kind before the end of the year. This first platinum blu-ray will probably make me switch...

I hope it includes the Grand Canyon short film (that originally went before it in cinemas) that the old special edition DVD has.

DisneyAlba

Well, Baloo, speaking of those bonus features...

I tried to find out what they will be, exactly. So, since every website gives me a different answer, I decided to put my faith in DisneyShopping (even though the American version may ultimately differ from European versions). The BluRay has quite good bonus features - here's what they say for the BluRay 2-disc (of which the bonus disc is dvd quality, apparently, not BluRay...which I find confusing):

QuoteBlu-ray™ Bonus Features:
Never before seen alternate opening
All-new game: Briar Rose's Waltz
Sleeping Beauty castle walk-through
All-new music video
All-new making of ''Sleeping Beauty''
Deleted songs
Live menus featuring a ''real time'' castle environment
Movie chat: text friends during the movie
Movie challenge: live trivia game
Movie store: shop for add-ons and downloads
Maleficent's Challenge Game
Cine Explore
Bonus Disc (DVD not Blu-ray) Includes:
Digitally restored ''Sleeping Beauty''
''Once Upon a Dream'' music video performed by Emily Osment
Fun facts
Disney song selection
Academy Award®-winning short ''Grand Canyon''
The Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky Story
Audio commentary

These features are quite like the 2003 2-disc edition.
But then - horror struck as I saw what DisneyShopping lists as the bonus features on the 2-disc (!) DVD set!

QuoteBonus Features:
Never before seen alternate opening
All-new game: Briar Rose's Waltz
Sleeping Beauty castle walk-through
All-new music video
All-new making of ''Sleeping Beauty''
Deleted songs

...Is that it?! For real? Is that all we dvd-player owners are getting?? If so, I'm better off buying the 2003 edition on Ebay, I think! Because these are the specified bonus features on the 2003 2-disc DVD edition:

QuoteAdditional Release Material:
Bonus Short - 1. "The Capture of the Prince"
2. "The Fairies Put the Castle to Sleep"
3. "Grand Canyon" - An Academy Award Winning Short Film
Making-of - 1. ONCE UPON A DREAM: THE MAKING OF SLEEPING BEAUTY
Featurette - 1. THE MUSIC - Mary Costa, Voice of Aurora, Reminisces About Walt Disney and the Making of the Film
2. THE DESIGN - Leonard Maltin and Others Discuss the Unique Design of the Film
3. THE RESTORATION - A Captivating Vision of the Spectacular Restoration Process
4. FOUR ARTISTS PAINT ONE TREE - A Special Look at the Techniques of Four SLEEPING BEAUTY Artists
5. CREATING THE BACKGROUNDS
6. Widescreen to Fullscreen Comparison
Documentary - 1. THE PETER TCHAIKOVSKY STORY
Trailers
Interactive Features:
Scene Access
Interactive Game - 1. Rescue Aurora
2. Princess Personality Game
3. SLEEPING BEAUTY Ink and Paint Game
Interactive Menus
Text/Photo Galleries:
Stills/Photos - 1. 3D Virtual Galleries
Helene Stanley Dance Reference
Live Action Reference (Prince Phillip)

Does anyone else have more, different information on this matter?? Please tell me Disney just forgot to list the extra's on the bonus disc for the upcoming 2-disc dvd release...

Also, on the subject of BluRay's... Can a BluRay player also play regular dvd's? I have absolutely no knowledge of the subject. However I assume it must be able to, since the second disc of the BluRay set is a regular dvd, apparently...

In any case, my bf just got a brand new home cinema set for DVD, not BluRay, so we won't be switching any time soon.
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

mehdi5

^
For the DVD buyers i'm afraid this list is correct. There is a chance some maybe 3 or 4 features have been left out but many of the features in the Blu-Ray list are not possible on DVD, like the Movie Store feature and other stuff. This is mainly because the Blu-Ray features use Java, BD Live and Picture-in-Picture features that cannot be handled by a dvd player and are not possible with a regular DVD. And yes the PS3 and other Blu-Ray players can also play normal DVD's. Plus with the PS3 the image is upscaled, although the quality is better upscaled it still doesn't get anywhere near Blu-Ray quality. Don't know myself if this is also with a regular Blu-Ray player i never owned a normal one, only a PS3.

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "mehdi5"^
For the DVD buyers i'm afraid this list is correct. There is a chance some maybe 3 or 4 features have been left out but many of the features in the Blu-Ray list are not possible on DVD, like the Movie Store feature and other stuff. This is mainly because the Blu-Ray features use Java, BD Live and Picture-in-Picture features that cannot be handled by a dvd player and are not possible with a regular DVD. (...)

Thanks for your answer. :)
Hmmm... I understand some BluRay-specific features such as the MovieStore stuff can't be put onto a regular dvd, but honestly I wasn't interested in that stuff anyway. I'm interested in the featurettes and shorts. Specifically, from the 2003 version:

"Grand Canyon" - An Academy Award Winning Short Film
Making-of:
1. ONCE UPON A DREAM: THE MAKING OF SLEEPING BEAUTY
Featurette:
1. THE MUSIC - Mary Costa, Voice of Aurora, Reminisces About Walt Disney and the Making of the Film
2. THE DESIGN - Leonard Maltin and Others Discuss the Unique Design of the Film
3. THE RESTORATION - A Captivating Vision of the Spectacular Restoration Process
4. FOUR ARTISTS PAINT ONE TREE - A Special Look at the Techniques of Four SLEEPING BEAUTY Artists
5. CREATING THE BACKGROUNDS
Documentary:
1. THE PETER TCHAIKOVSKY STORY
Helene Stanley Dance Reference
Live Action Reference (Prince Phillip)

The upcoming dvd has an "All-new making of ''Sleeping Beauty'' "; we don't know how much of all that stuff of the 2003 edition is in there... And to be fair, I'd really like to see that Castle walkthrough. But I still feel like buying this edition will cheat me out of a lot of featurettes/shorts which were present in the 2003 edition... So, I'm undecided as of yet - either buy the new version, or shop on Ebay... :?

P.S.:

Strangely enough, play.com lists quite a lot more features for the upcoming UK 2-disc DVD edition - but can this be correct??? Perhaps there is hope yet...! (Though this still doesn't explicitly list the Music, Design, Restauration and Background featurettes, nor the Grand Canyon short... Guess we'll have to await reviews if these featurettes are incorporated into the new "making of"...)

QuoteAudio Commentary
Princess Fun Facts
"Once Upon A Dream" Music Video
Disney Song Selection
Picture Perfect: The Making Of Sleeping Beauty
Alternate Opening
4 Deleted Songs
Storyboard Sequences
Live Action Reference
Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru Attraction
Publicity
The Peter Tchaikovsky Story
Four Artist Paint One Tree
Briar Rose's Enchanted Dance Game
Sleeping Beauty Fun With Language Game
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.