Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith - new light show!

Started by RnRCj, May 21, 2008, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

Here's a video of the new lights in action. They do actually still follow the train down the tunnel, but I'm not so sure the programming is as slick as before:

[youtube:b0no34qj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSCaZXRN6g[/youtube:b0no34qj]

davewasbaloo

the new light show was working when I rode and it was great. My wife however now refuses to ride RNRC again though. the soundtrack has not worked for her in about 4 years.
since 2001 (many before that)

walkthatway

The lights in the launch tunnel are not actually 'new' right? They're just turned on all the time now. Also, during the video above I don't see any new lights during the ride itself except maybe a few next to the cobra roll. Are they just not working in that video or something? Or is there no actual new lightshow during the ride yet?

Martyn

^ I think the majority of it was just replacing all the current lights with LED bulbs.

Now I've seen the launch lights, I'm not as agains't it as I was, though it seems a bit crap how they just randomly turn off as the train 1/3 down the track. They should have tied them in with the countdown etc, so they start flashing quickly, or just something better that what it is.

The glowing is nice (apart from showing off the industrial tunnel), but the lights should flicker, or go mad, just to help build the tension.

walkthatway

^ What lights did they replace then? I hardly see any lights working during the ride, and certainly not more than before the rehab...
And I agree they should have done more with the lights in the launch tunnel, but maybe it's only a temporary thing...

FishyBoy15

I'm sorry, but that launch tunnel lighting state is dire!

By the looks of it, those are the same LED units that were originally in the launch tunnel (the units that are used in the brake run and launch tunnel were and still are both LED sources, but potentially may have been changed out or maintained). That appears to be a reprogamming of the lighting state used within the station, then when the train is half way down the tunnel the 'old' state for the launch kicks in. Seeing the tunnel in darkness and light up when a train was launched built up the tension a little for me, as you were never sure what was a ahead of you. Now, the tunnel is 'given away' prior to launch, which spoils it.

However, when some LED units loose DMX/Signal from the control console/computer, they default to colour changing, so it could very well be that some changes have been made in the showfiles for the launch tunnel lighting state, which mean the launch tunnel lights are loosing signal when a train isn't launching. I'm off to DLRP in two weeks, so I'll be sure to find out whats going on!

I just hope this isn't a sign of the attractions already amazing light show being messed with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Previous Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: April 2000
Cheyenne: April 2002
Cheyenne: July 2003
Sequoia Lodge: January 2004
Radisson Blu- Disneyland Paris: July 2010
Cheyenne: August 2010
Cheyenne: January 2011

Upcoming Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: July 2011

Disneyland Paris Treasures

I was there last week and was not impressed with the state of the lightshow. There were only very few colored lights in the main hall during the whole ride, and those that were there didn't move. As "replacement" for the missing lights they put some moving bright white spots into the hall, so that you could see much more of the interior as usual. It was interesting to see the track layout, but not exciting at all. So I think - and sincerely hope - that this is because they are currently in the progress of replacing all the lights and that is why they are disabled. If this were the new lightshow it would be the lamest thing ever. Also there was zero smoke. About the launch tunnel lights: I agree, they should return to the old version.

On the bright side: the sound in our soundtracker was really, really loud and very clear :-)

FishyBoy15

I got back from the magic on Friday.. and what can I say about said lightshow upgrade..

-It was very clear it was taking place, throughout the week I was there, the lighting elements within the ride (moving lights) were disappearing (the physical light output, not the fixtures themselves)..

-The launch tunnel lights are back as they were (following the front of the soundtracker down the tunnel itself to the strobes as you enter the loop to blind you)

- One of the two beacon lights (police style lamps, but in orange) above the launch tunnel entrance had blown at the start of the week, by wednesday, it had been replaced, showing that lighting maintenance was clearly taking place.

- Some of the strobe and LED elements within the attraction (the strobes within the piece of truss as you leave the second loop and the LED rings on the circular truss you shoot through) worked at the start of the week and didn't towards the end, again showing progress.

BUT:

- A huge amount of the moving lights were showing 'LAMP' on the information display on the fixtures, this means that Disney has simply not bothered to replace the lamps once they have blown previously. Obviously, this is understandable from a costing point of view (no point in re-lamping a fixture which is going to be removed or altered), but this clearly shows that progress is slow and the attraction will remain in a 'diminished' state for a decent length of time.

- The last time I rode the attraction before I left, the opening section was near enough in darkness, a couple of truss sections were uplit from inside when the soundtracker was nearby, however, this either happened early or late most of the time, or sometimes not at all! If I remember rightly, within the breaking section, within the ride itself (not the break run), where there is the sets of two strobes that blind you, all of the moving lights said 'LAMP', showing this section has yet to be touched. If I remember rightly, I counted something along the lines of around twenty intelligent lights working within the ride itself, with no smoke/haze, so it was pretty dark and pretty poor!

This project is obviously on going and changes on a daily basis.. but from what I could see, progress was happening, but was very very slow indeed!

Quote from: "Nicolai"On the bright side: the sound in our soundtracker was really, really loud and very clear :-)

And yes, this proved exactly the same for me, every time I rode. So it made up for the lack of lighting!

Previous Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: April 2000
Cheyenne: April 2002
Cheyenne: July 2003
Sequoia Lodge: January 2004
Radisson Blu- Disneyland Paris: July 2010
Cheyenne: August 2010
Cheyenne: January 2011

Upcoming Trips]

Sequoia Lodge: July 2011

peep

I was there on the 13th and found there to be a lack of lighting for the majority of the ride. The launch had gone back to normal but the countdown screen was off, I had no audio but I did have a tiny bit of haze! Most of the lights that did work were towards the end of the ride and overall it seemed bright inside but couldn't quite tell why (didn't see anything like white spots like you've mentioned Nicolai).

Shame it is such a slow process but I look forward to seeing it once finished. Next time I'm at the resort is (hopefully) October so hopefully there is a substantial improvement by then.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Dermitder

are there any news about the current state of rock n roller coaster? anyone rode it lately?

15MagicalYears

I haven't rode it recently but back mid-July we rode it everyday and most times there were next to no lights and several times we had no music. So disappointing.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Rode it today (only once, Soundtracker 1) and found it to be very disappointing. During the wHole ride I counted ~10 spots in the same three colors. There was some fog, but without any light show it didn't really make any difference. One can only hope this is a sign of the full replacement of the light show. Launch and End Tunnel lights were working and like they used to be.

fiona

Well, it's almost a year since anyone's touched this thread, but all the lights and stuff look pretty good now (3-5 Aug). I can't remember what they were like before, as I last rode it in 2004... Only bad thing was the soundtrack kept breaking. I think we went on it 8-10 times, one time there was no music, and three times it broke half way through.