Beards back at Disney

Started by gldc, January 25, 2012, 02:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gldc

Well, after 60 years of no beards - Disney is now allowing them at WDW AND DISNEYLAND.

Not sure whether this applies to DLP at the moment.

What does everyone think? Good or bad idea. Personally I think this is great, Cast Members should be allowed to express themselves and have a beard if they want - it is not unprofessional and it doesnt spoilt the experience, plus if I go back to work at DLP myself, its less hassle.

Obviously i am sure they will require the beard to be properly groomed but good one Disney!
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

DGRavenswood

DLP never could fully enforce this rule due to French labor laws. They've been "discouraged" but not banned.

As for whether or not this is a good thing -- I think it depends on the role. If it fits with the theme, why not? For example I knew one Frontierland CM with a handlebar moustache and goatee (pretty much like Buffalo Bill, to give you an idea). I think it only enhanced the show.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

DopeyDad

I saw this too, as a beardy weirdy myself I think it's a good idea. In fact maybe they should be enforced  :D  imagine a CM with a full on ZZ Top beard letting you on the Snow White mine train  :P

littlemermaid83

For a moment I thought it meant no guests are allowed in with beards lol!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

DopeyDad

Walt Disney and Maggie Thatcher, both had beard issues :)

pussinboots

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"DLP never could fully enforce this rule due to French labor laws. They've been "discouraged" but not banned.

As for whether or not this is a good thing -- I think it depends on the role. If it fits with the theme, why not? For example I knew one Frontierland CM with a handlebar moustache and goatee (pretty much like Buffalo Bill, to give you an idea). I think it only enhanced the show.

I've never quite understood how it is that French labor laws make it impossible for Disney to ban beards, yet Air France-KLM can demand that its male flight attendants not have sideburns that reach lower than their earlobes. They also prohibit their staff from chewing gum and walking with their hands in their pockets whilst in uniform. Unless they've found a loophole by claiming sideburns are an aviation safety hazard...

DGRavenswood

It has more likely to do with unions and minimum wage jobs. I really don't know that much about the legislation here, but I'd assume that if you pay your employees more (and I guess they do pay flight attendants more than frontline CMs), you can expect higher standards in return.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"For a moment I thought it meant no guests are allowed in with beards lol!

Lol, Welcome to the Disneyland Main Entrance Gate, sponsered by Gillette  8)

|Q|

i'm reading some american forums, and there a lot of people thinks that allowing beards is disney losing its way, lol

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "|Q|"i'm reading some american forums, and there a lot of people thinks that allowing beards is disney losing its way, lol

It's all very ironic seeing as the founder of the company was partial to grooming certain areas of facial hair.

[spoiler:3gahhc04]Tash, hello !?!?
[/spoiler:3gahhc04]

Patrick89

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Lol, Welcome to the Disneyland Main Entrance Gate, sponsered by Gillette  8)

The barbers at Dapper Dan's Hair Cuts would have to work a great deal of overtime ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

BadKid

Why didn't they let people have beards anyway? (sorry if it sounds like a stupid question)
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

gldc

It's always been a tradition since Disneyland opened in 1955 and they wanted to differentiate themselves from other theme parks run by travellers.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

DGRavenswood

Actually, that has been mentioned a lot, but a commentator elsewhere made me wonder if that's actually the case. Here are 1962 Disneyland grooming guidelines I found through a quick Google search:

QuoteYou cannot go on stage....jangling with baubles,
     bangles and beads. No jewelry, in fact, except for
     a modest personal ring or watch.

Your personal aroma is fine with a fresh
     deodorant....no heavy perfumes are permitted.

Extremes in hair styles or hair cuts don't fit in
     at Disneyland. Keep it neat, not tricky.

Of course, we practice the usual arts of good
     grooming...neat and well-shined shoes...stockings
     with straight seams...natural clear nail polish,
     standard nail length, neatly manicured.

Costumes are of paramount importance. Each has been
     designed to fit into the atmosphere of one of our
     "lands" or a specific attraction. You'll be
     provided with your costume or uniform. Please help
     maintain it as carefully as you would your own
     clothes...perhaps even more so.

One more thing..you'll be advised of
     your footwear. Unless required on your
     particular assignment, tennis shoes, "go-
     aheads" and other casual shoes are not
     allowed.

No mention of facial hair... Perhaps it was simply understood, but it does mention "extremes in hair styles." So I wonder when they started to add the no beard rule.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

Rafael

I don´t think visitor will even notice any change.